1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Hoops Hype rumor page

NY Daily News

SLAM DUNKS
Let's say the Blazers hold onto Rasheed Wallace past the Feb. 19 trade deadline and let him walk at season's end as a free agent. Their salary cap will still be $47.5 million for next season, meaning they won't have room for free agents. But in two years, they'd be committed to only $18.3 million, if they don't take on any long-term deals before then. "If Wallace walks, they can get a better player than they could if they make a trade," said one Western Conference executive who has had recent trade talks with the Blazers. That's how the Blazers are approaching it. They've told teams that if they deal Wallace in the next 11 days, they won't take back any players whose contracts go past next season.

Other headlines from ESPN
Many which was in our thread.... just rehashed

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
I love that Nash is sticking to his guns and if Wallace is traded it isn't something that is going to handicap the Blazers in terms of contracts. Even the trade with Golden State seems to be fair, I still think that Nash can do better and will.

I am thinking that Wallace is going to resign this offseason with Portland. I don't know if Mrs. Wallace has something to do with it or if Rasheed has bought into what Nash is selling or vice versa. Plain and simple, Rasheed at the five spot works for Portland where his stints at the three didn't go over so well. Maybe this is why he is still here, either way, I think that Rasheed is going no where now.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
This is very encouraging news for the Blazers. Of course, it may be that Nash WOULD be willing to take a long contract IF the Blazers get a good enough deal. This is just him trying to pump up Rasheed's trade value even more. That is what a good NBA GM has to do, they have to create the impression among other GM's that their players are very valuable, they have to have a poker face. Nash is doing a good job of this, because it seems like many teams including the Knicks, Hawks, Mavericks, Warriors and others all want Rasheed.

After the Bonzi Wells trade I thought Nash had a horrible poker face because he gave away his third best player for very little at a point when Bonzi's value was at a career low. But my respect for him has skyrocketed in recent weeks.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The current Blazers contract talks for an extension for Wallace are at a reported $40 million over 4 years. Depending on how you scale that (for instance, top load it at $16 million next season and then $8 million for years 2-4) the Blazers would be able to still reduce their luxury tax bill (not eliminate it) next season yet still be way under the cap come 2005's off-season.

I'm no Collective Bargaining guru, so I'm not sure if front-loaded contracts fly in the NBA but I wouldn't be surprised if the goal is still to have top dollar available in 2005 and sign Wallace.

I think next season, while they'd love to get totally under the cap, management will still be orchestrating towards 2005 as the final destination so one more small luxury tax hit wouldn't be the end of the world if it meant we were in a strong position going into 2005.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
They've told teams that if they deal Wallace in the next 11 days, they won't take back any players whose contracts go past next season.
If that's truly the stand they're taking, then it's a major mistake. They should be looking at talent as well as length of contract when evaluating any potential trades. Get a good player with time left on his contract and you may well be better off than gambling on free agency in two years.

Dan

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Mitch Lawrence knows SO MUCH about the Blazers' cap situation... :rolleyes:

But in two years, they'd be committed to only $18.3 million, if they don't take on any long-term deals before then.
It sounds so simple, doesn't it? Here's what would really have to happen:

Summer of 2004 - Wallace walks, Person walks, Miles walks. Portland trades away both their own 1st round pick and Memphis' 1st round pick, getting either expiring contracts or draft picks in 2006 or later for them. No free agents signed with anything longer than a one year deal. The 4th year option in Qyntel Woods' contract is not picked up.

Summer of 2005 - Davis walks, Stoudamire walks, Stepania walks. No qualifying offer made to Randolph. Portland trades its 1st round draft pick for a draft pick in 2006 or later. Travis Outlaw is traded to a team with cap room for a draft pick in 2006 or later.

Then, on July 1st, 2005, the Blazers would have a team salary of just over $19 million. They would only have 2 players under contract (Anderson and Patterson) and would have about $27 million in cap room.

Anderson - $9.093
Patterson - $6.353
Roster charges for having less than 11 players on the roster - $3.641 million

How's that for a master plan?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Outstanding than we'd have the Bible Beater and the Wife Beater! Kind of good vs evil what contrast, huh?:yes:

:yes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts