Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

.....The Blazers have gone a week with just 11 players, and by league rule have another seven days to fill the 12th spot on their roster, a league spokesman said. The vacancy on Portland's roster -- a situation the players' association frowns on -- was created last week when the Blazers acquired Darius Miles from Cleveland and sent Jeff McInnis and Ruben Boumtje Boumtje to the Cavaliers.

Blazers general manager John Nash doesn't seem interested in signing anybody out of the National Basketball Developmental League or the Continental Basketball Association, fueling speculation that he is working on a 2-for-1 trade to bring the Blazers' roster back to full strength.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
2 thoughts from coutside last night.

#1 WHen Snapper was asked about the 12 roster spot, he said Nash had accompanied them to Washington. After that he was reall sketchy on what else Nash was doing. He said he believed Nash had checked out a couple of NBDL games. He also said Nashe was not with them in Memphis but would meet up with the team again in Atlanta.

#2 Mike Rice was on very briefly. When asked about rumors, he changed the subject. This I found very odd as he usually throws rumors out like rice at a wedding. He chise to use that time to soap box about people complaining about Cheeks.

Anyway both Snapper and Rice seemed IMO to kind of skirt the issue.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by <b>Schilly</b>!

....He said he believed Nash had checked out a couple of NBDL games. He also said Nashe was not with them in Memphis but would meet up with the team again in Atlanta.
Interesting.

I think I'm gonna head downtown and see if I can hook-up with him. :yes: ;)

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
#2 Mike Rice was on very briefly. When asked about rumors, he changed the subject. This I found very odd as he usually throws rumors out like rice at a wedding. He chise to use that time to soap box about people complaining about Cheeks.
How did he defend Cheeks?

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Originally posted by <b>gambitnut</b>!

How did he defend Cheeks?
he forced cheeks to go to his left...

er..Basically, in a nutshell, Mike said that the people who complain about Maurice don't realize that

1: there aren't too many other coaches out there (that are either available, or alive) that could have held this crazy bunch together any better.

2: he's doing a lot more than we know, and it's easy for us monday night PG's to ***** and moan about stuff we actually don't know jack diddly and his 12 man orchestra, about.

3: Maurice is one of the nicest guys on the planet, and that he, Mike "Wild" Rice, would gladly, and proudly, take a bullet for Maurice Cheeks.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
2 thoughts from coutside last night.

#1 WHen Snapper was asked about the 12 roster spot, he said Nash had accompanied them to Washington. After that he was reall sketchy on what else Nash was doing. He said he believed Nash had checked out a couple of NBDL games. He also said Nashe was not with them in Memphis but would meet up with the team again in Atlanta.
I heard that Nash recently went to the CBA All Star game to scout players. Was that in Washington DC maybe? I actually never heard where the game was.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Basically he said Cheeks has done a very good job of keeping this team, and he ripped Jason Quik specifically, saying Quik doesn't go to the practices, so he has no idea what he is talking about.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
I was glad to hear someone else say he thought he chancged the subject when asked about rumors and his normal around the league segment. I thought that was very odd for Mike Rice.. Now I am even more anxious to hear him tonight before the game.

I would prefer them to do a 1 for 2 trade than to sign someone from the CBA or NBADL. I see that as a waste of money. But only do a trade if it makes sense. An Atlanta trade seems to make the most sense if they are moving Sheed IMHO, since Atlanta seemingly wants the salary dump.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I heard that Nash recently went to the CBA All Star game to scout players. Was that in Washington DC maybe? I actually never heard where the game was.
Wrong Washington... It was in Yakima last week, and as I understand it, the Blazers had scouts there with interest in specific players, but Nash was not among them.

Dan

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Originally posted by <b>dkap</b>!

Wrong Washington... It was in Yakima last week, and as I understand it, the Blazers had scouts there with interest in specific players, but Nash was not among them.

Dan
Ah ha. First time in history anyon has confused Yakima Washington with Washington D.C. Thanks.

###

Hmmmmm.

We can go up to, what, two weeks with 11 guys on the roster? Is that the rule?

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Hap</b>!

1: there aren't too many other coaches out there (that are either available, or alive) that could have held this crazy bunch together any better.
(Thanks for the updates, people who listened to the show...)

While the point above might be true, I think it can also be said that no NBA coach would have held the team together in a WORSE way (in terms of wins and losses).

The Blazers are one of the worst teams in the West right now, and whether we've got 17 wins, 18 wins or 8 wins, that would be true. While there's still a chance for the team to turn it around (for this year, meaning make the playoffs), I'm not convinced that Mo Cheeks is any better equipped to turn things around than any other current or recently-fired NBA head coach.

Ed O.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Honestly, I don't want POR to turn it around. Why? What possible reason could there be? To maybe, make the playoffs? I mean what is the point? Let's say we do go on a run and make the playoffs, so what? We get bounced out of the first round, again. I just don't see it, I mean is extending a playoff streak that much more significant than improving the team for the future? I don't think so. Better off to embrace the rebuilding that needs to occur here, than try to make the playoffs and hamper our rebuilding efforts down the road. Right now, a #6-#10 lotto pick means more to me than making the playoffs.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NateBishop3</b>!
2 for 1 eh? How about that trade I posted earlier? Jaric and Ely for Wes Person?
According to realgm.com, Wes Person has a trade restriction. Of course, real gm also said that Boumtje couldn't be traded. But that wa smore due to the fact that they didn't fully understand his contract. I think in this case they are correct.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts