Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read the article

Rasheed Wallace update: For a change, there is no juicy update.

Blazers owner Paul Allen, as we've been writing since talks with the Mavericks collapsed on Jan. 17, still likes the idea of letting 'Sheed walk at the end of the season and saving $34 million -- including luxury-tax savings -- better than any trade offer on the table.

There is still plenty of time of for a change of heart, of course, with the trading deadline still two weeks away, but Allen has another motivation for letting 'Sheed simply walk away.

The Blazers would be taking away 'Sheed's biggest asset in the process -- his Larry Bird rights. Without his Bird rights, he would be forced to sign with a team that has cap room (none of those teams appeal to him, except for maybe Denver) or take a pay cut of nearly $12 million to join Philadelphia, Dallas or New York for the mid-level exception.

Such a step doesn't get the Blazers any closer to title contention, but it's about the only recourse Portland management has to respond to all the player-induced turmoil in recent seasons.

Interesting thought.... :reporter:

but why force his hand and take away his Bird rights? Are we ticked at him?

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Its about playing hard ball

There is not reason the Blazers should hand him a contract on a silver platter. They have been paying him star money for years now and got a second tier player. Why should they give him a bunch of money? If nothing else Portland plays hard ball and gets a trade out of the deal because Sheed wants his money, and the only way he will get it and get to play on a team he wants, it to get a sign and trade. Otherwise let either let him walk, or sign him to a contract where his pay in more in line with the type of play we get out of him. That would have to be evaluated at seasons end, when we see how he does at center for the year.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
If that demand/rumor was true earlier last month that he was asking for 10-12 million on a extension, than I do understand Portlands forcing his hand. He is no where near that kind of value and the days of throwing money around are gone in the FA market. If he doesn't sign with a club with money, than Portland, if they want to keep him could pay him 6-7 million and add some club options or force a S & T. Years of bad behavior should not be rewarded with a contract for two weeks of being ok. Sheed doesn't want to be a first option here and never has, so he should get paid as a second or third option player.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Excellent point, Hasoos. It's about time the Blazers played "hardball" with some of the idiots who have embarrassed the team over the years. And if it helps them force Wallace's hand, all the better.

As for your comment, BlazerRingbearer:

"Nevermind helping the team, let's make a move to screw Sheed over! That's how we'll get this franchise back to greatness - more pettiness!"
"More" pettiness? When have the Blazers been petty in the past? They usually defend their players to the hilt, and even make up excuses for them. They fly the team around in a state-of-the-art private jet. Their practice facilities are first-rate. They even wash the players cars for free while they are practicing. And they pay millions and millions of dollars to guys like Rider, Kemp, Strickland, Wells, Stoudamire and Wallace. And for those generous investments, what do they get in return?

Multiple drug arrests
Reckless driving arrests
NBA records for technical fouls
A national reputation for thuggery and criminality
Players who
--refuse to shoot free throws when their coach asks them to
--refuse to lift weights with the rest of the team
--attack their coach in the locker room
--spit at fans
--accuse the whole state of being racist
--try to assault referees after games
--accuse the NBA of slavery and exploitation
--etc., etc., etc.

And it's management who is being "petty"?

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
This is actually the interesting quote from the Stien article:

From what I'm told, even though you'll never hear him say so, Yao Ming wouldn't protest too loudly if the Rockets finally decide to move them both and start building more of a Jeff Van Gundy team around the tallest franchise player. After Francis' act of selfishness, unless this unexpectedly leads to a whole new mature and selfless Stevie, I'd have to agree. It'd be easier for Van Gundy to change the culture in Houston if Francis and his max contract were relocated.
Portland could easily concoct a trade very much like what New York did to get Marbury. Sheed and our two draft picks (both of them possibly lottery) for Steve Francis and filler. Maybe add in Qyntel to sweeten the deal.

Hmmmmmm. I'm not sure I'd be thrilled about it, but it'd be interesting to consider.

Can you imagine, though, what Jeff Van Gundy could do if he's able to get Sheed to stay next year? Sheed AND Yao in the frontcourt would be a terrorizing defensive frontcourt.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
do the blazers really want steve francis?

imagine a backcourt-tandem of francis and stoudamire. then nash could trade zach to someone who is a good defender, because he wouldn't get the ball on offense anyway...

:dead:

and most importantly(is that english?), I have hated the guy since the draft day stunt...

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
TH -

I didn't mean it to say that the team has been petty, although I see how it could be taken that way...

My point is that they should be motivated by what's best for the team - and that certainly wouldn't be paying Sheed an exorbitant salary.

Acting out of some sort of sense of vengeance, making a move just to hurt Sheed somehow would be silly and would come back to hurt them in one way or another...

I don't think that Allen or the management would do anything like that and that's why I thought it was a really silly thing to print.

Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.