Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a week out with a bruised left knee, Antoine Walker [news] will find himself in a bit of an unfamiliar place when the Celtics travel to meet the Nets this afternoon: He'll be on the court. He will also likely find himself looking at the game from a different perspective - the small forward position.

Doc Rivers said yesterday he's been working Walker at the 3 spot and anticipates using him at least part of the time against the Nets, who go big up front with 7-footers Nenad Krstic and Jason Collins and 6-9 Brian Scalabrine.

``It's something we were going to do anyway eventually, but we'll just have to do it (today),'' Rivers said. ``We had been tinkering with it in practice before he got injured. We run him for about 20 minutes in practice at the 3 spot, because I feel like at the end of a game it would be a great way of attacking - having Raef (LaFrentz) on the floor with either Mark (Blount), Al (Jefferson) or Perk (Kendrick Perkins [news]) and then having Antoine at the 3 and Paul (Pierce) at the 2.

``The reason we like it is because it forces a 2 to guard Paul, instead of the bigger of the two (small forward, shooting guard). The bigger guy usually guards Paul, and that takes some of his post (game) away. This way we force the matchup.''
http://celtics.bostonherald.com/celtics/view.bg?articleid=77640

·
Registered
610 Posts
Good news...
I'm glad Rivers is making this move.
Now Jefferson can play some.
Tomorrow.. "IF" Al gets 20+ minutes.
He'll log a Double Doube.

PdP

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
I like this a lot, I just love the idea of experimenting with it.

With Allen hitting the rookie wall, and Al and Perk playing great, it's better to start Toine at the 3. The only problem with this will be finding time for Ricky....:(

·
Premium Member
8,260 Posts
I would like this if Walker wasn't coming off a knee injury. It was just a bruse, so I'm sure its much better by now, but I don't think he's at 100% just yet. Maybe when he's been back for a few games and gets up to full strength, I'd love it. I like the idea of Antoine at the three as we would go big and that would be a tough matchup for opposing teams as Walker and Pierce could alternate in the post.

There are some negatives in that though. I know Antoine is very athletic for a four, but how about a three? I think there are many threes in the league that would give Antoine a lot of trouble defensively. Also, where is Ricky in that setup? Would he play the one? Davis needs to be on the floor when the game is ending.

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
The only negatives is Toine playing defense against a 3, and Ricky not getting enough time.

But if we have Reaf and Perkins out on the floor at the same time (or even Mark Blount) I'd love to see someone blow by Walker and try to take it inside, especially with The Perkinator sitting right there waiting for him. (He had an amazing block vs the Nets, but they called it goaltending...which it wasn't)

The Ricky thing is a problem. This guy needs to be on the floor in the closing minutes, but I wouldn't know where to play him. If we put him at the 1, then what happens to Payton?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts