Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am interested in hearing thoughts as to whether or not you guys would approve of him being hired as our coach next year...with younger good guys in sebastian and travis i think that he could actually coach and carry over his same tendencies that normally wouldnt fly with an older veteran team....and he would be reunited with zach randolph, possibly being able to hit the right buttons with zach........but maybe they didnt get along, i dont know?.....

anyways......so what about Tom Izzo????

·
Registered
910 Posts
pj carlisemo jr., no thanks. we need a real pro coach. we should have jumped at george karl. im hoping for rick adelman.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
riehldeal said:
i am interested in hearing thoughts as to whether or not you guys would approve of him being hired as our coach next year...with younger good guys in sebastian and travis i think that he could actually coach and carry over his same tendencies that normally wouldnt fly with an older veteran team....and he would be reunited with zach randolph, possibly being able to hit the right buttons with zach........but maybe they didnt get along, i dont know?.....

anyways......so what about Tom Izzo????
I like the idea. I know there have been a lot of college coach flops in the NBA but I still think that its worth a try. I don't know who would be available, but Izzo, Coach K or amny other proven coaches would be fun to watch.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Please, no more hires of guys with no previous NBA experience. We have enough players that are just getting their feet wet dealing with 82 games, endless road trips, hordes of media asking them all kinds of questions, etc. We don't need any coaches who aren't used to the rigors of an NBA season.

The Blazers, for the sake of the franchise, need to hire someone who will bring results quickly. I don't think the fan base can take anymore "just give him some time" comments from management.

-Pop

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
true

but worst case scenario i think that Tom Izzo should atleast be in the discussion

me personally; my first choice is Adelman

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Izzo would be great. We have college age players, bring in a guy who is used to coaching that age of players. In addition the NBA game is in a morph period where it is becoming more run and gun with the Zone D...a lot like the college game. So bring in a coach used to plaing the style of game that the NBA is moving towards.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
College coaches almost always sound like a good idea coming into the NBA, and they almost always flop.

I don't know that much about Izzo but I don't get the sense that he is a great basketball coach. A very good recruiter and a good coach, but not a great coach.

Granted, this is only my sense and I am not the hugest college basketball fan in the world. If we were to go for a college coach, though, I would prefer Rick Pitino, who's had a couple of chances to learn what the NBA game is all about and I think could still turn into an awesome NBA head coach if he's interested and given a chance to coach, rather than run the whole show.

Ed O.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Ed O said:
College coaches almost always sound like a good idea coming into the NBA, and they almost always flop.

I don't know that much about Izzo but I don't get the sense that he is a great basketball coach. A very good recruiter and a good coach, but not a great coach.

Ed O.
I agree with your first statment. I don't think Izzo would work out.

I don't agree with your summary as him not being a great coach. I think he's a pretty good coach, and a serious basketball junky. I hear he takes every loss very very hard, and is very demanding of his players. An NBA coach cannot live and die by every win/loss over a 82 game season, it would take too much of a toll on him and his payers. I also don't think a coach can come into the NBA being a yeller and a screamer.

For those reasons, I don't think Izzo would be a good choice. However, I'm sure we'll take a look at him because we won't exactly get to hand pick our next coach, we're going to have to take what's left after Cleveland, LA, etc.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Tince said:
I don't agree with your summary as him not being a great coach. I think he's a pretty good coach, and a serious basketball junky.
I didn't mean that he wasn't a great coach like he's not good... I agree he's very good, but I'm not sure he's great. Like better than very good.

Ed O.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
Izzo isn't going to leave for the NBA. Being from Michigan i wish he would leave, I would help you guys move his stuff in if he would lol.

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
It doesn't make sense to get a college coach. There's not much similarity anymore between the college game and the pro game. Heck, the best players don't even go to college anymore, they go straight from high school to the NBA.

Therefore, we need to get a high school coach.

barfo

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
I heard Dick Vitale is interested in coaching......

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
zagsfan20 said:
I know Stony Brook has an opening, they might take him.

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
zagsfan20 said:
My neighbors dog barks a lot and has a very small brain. I'm not sure how the Blazers would choose between him and Vitale.

barfo

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
The Pistons seemed to like his style of coaching....

·
Registered
373 Posts
No point in discussing, Izzo's not coming to Portland. If he leaves MSU for the NBA he would go to Cleveland, where MSU alum Dan Gilbert just bought the team.

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
zagsfan20 said:
I've had an epiphany!

1. Bring in Dickie V. to run the show baby!

2. Mandate that all assistant coaches need to wear full clown gear on the bench. Portland will need both happy and sad clowns to reach their potencial.

3. Change the team colors to orange and bile.

4. Kick back and watch the titles roll in.

STOMP

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I have a lot of respect for Tom Izzo. He's a rare combination of x/o brilliance and he can motivate. (anyone here the story of how he smashed the video tape after MSU's loss in the Big-10 tourny to Iowa?) Unfortunately, he's just too intense for today's NBA players.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts