Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really don't know. I'm not a big Sheed fan, and nothing to do with his attitude. He isn't worth what he gets paid. If Sheed wanted to he could be a 22/10 guy but I just don't know how much he cares about the game. He would be great for $6 million as a third option but I don't think he wants to take over a game. He has a world of talent, he just doesn't use it all.
I can agree about the under-achieving part, but the $6mil 3rd option portion seems a bit harsh.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ABM</b>!

I can agree about the under-achieving part, but the $6mil 3rd option portion seems a bit harsh.

It does seem harsh, but I agree with Tom. If you put to much expectations on Sheed, he will let you down every time. You need your #1 and #2 players to step up every game.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
as much as i want to say that any money paid to tolbert is too much because he's an insufferable boob who sucked beano as an NBA player...he's right. but he's not saying anything that most of us fans realized about 2+ years ago.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Having been a Blazer fan the entire time of Sheed's tenure here, it is hard for me to be in the shoes those that weren't (ie, Tolbert). I can't really know what it is they see. I can only tell you that

NEVER, EVER, EVER
have I seen Sheed as a 1st option. Not in 1999. Not in 2000. Not in the WCF. Not ever.

Soooo.... it thus follows that I have been baffled for years by those that complain that Sheed isn't one, or hasn't become one, or does a bad job of it, on and on and on.

Sometime things boil down to simplicity.

Sheed isn't a first option player in the NBA. Ok. Isn't that easy?

Thus rendering all the bablings by Tom Tolbert moot. Tolbert set up a strawman so he could lecture us all about the "failure" of Sheed.

Anybody can play this game - it is fun, try it.

Shaq is a dissapointment and failure in the NBA. He is paid $34mil and he won't play hurt, when he opens his mouth junk spews out embarassing his team and the league. He has all the talent in the world he should easily lead the NBA in scoring, rebounding and blocked shots. Yet he is not even close. If he wanted to he could be a 35/15/5 guy but I just don't know how much he cares about the game. I think movies and music and parties are more important to him than practice and rehab.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Sheed's averaging like 17 and 8. That's second option for most teams. It looks bad this year because he plays the same high post position as Randolph.

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
Tom has had a 3-7 sportstalk show here in the Bay Area for the last 5+ years or so. I've yet to hear him say anything positive about the Blazers this or any year, and they are a common punchline to his jokes. He grew up in SoCal as an admitted huge Lakers fan :rolleyes: ... we're all entitled to our opinions and all, but I'd advise people take his Blazer and Laker insites with a grain of salt.

BTW... IMO Sheed at 17 mil is underpaid compared to the production Portland is getting out of Kemp and Damon (the 7th and 8th highest paid players). I think it's pretty obvious that they'll all be taking a pay cut on their next deals... just like most every other player who signed max deals during the last CBA. The market has changed and so will Sheed's salary, but I'd put the chances that he signs for 6 mil just slightly above him getting a raise.

STOMP

1 - 7 of 7 Posts