Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great LT article:

CARSON, Calif. — It's not every day you walk into the testosterone-heavy world of an NFL locker room — with its super egos, muscle mania and gut checks — and find a man willing to talk about crying.

But LaDainian Tomlinson, the best player on maybe the worst team in the NFL, has already proven he is not to be considered ordinary. And not only because last season he became the first NFL player to rush for at least 1,000 yards and catch 100 passes. (Related item: Chargers team report)

Flash back to Sept. 14. The Denver Broncos spoiled the San Diego Chargers' home opener with a 37-13 rout that made Tomlinson sick to his stomach. Never mind that Tomlinson, aka "LT," had a typically impressive performance with 120 yards from scrimmage.

As his team stumbled to a 0-2 start with myriad breakdowns, Tomlinson saw another long season ahead. It felt much like the despair when he would step to the plate and strike out while playing Little League baseball. Losing hurt.

So LT wept.

Right in the middle of that locker room at Qualcomm Stadium after the game, for his teammates to witness — and feel his pain.

"I cried, I couldn't help it," Tomlinson recalled during a break in camp. "I knew we weren't going to be that good, and it was hard to deal with.

"But that's just me. I've always been that way, particularly when losing. It's just something about failing. I guess that's why I train so hard. I've always been afraid of failing."
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/chargers/2004-09-01-lt-mission_x.htm

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
Not sure I want my running back crying like a baby.

I like LT he's a great back. I think the most overrated stats he has is his receiving numbers. Its a big deal stat. When your team is bad a stat like that can get blown up. Bree's was scared to throw it downfield so he dumped it off. Lots of players could get those receiving numbers if they got the chances.

Mot really impressive. But his yeardage from scrimmage running is always a great stat.

But save me all the crying, shows passion maybe shows weakness maybe, depends on how you look at it. He's a great back nonetheless but doesn't mean he cares more than any other great back around the league. Just shows his level oif frustration.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
It shows he has no fear. Men dont cry because were scared itll show weakness. So by default to cry shows a lot of strength. And on that note I pesonally am too weak to cry in front of anybody.

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by <b>jazzy1</b>!
Not sure I want my running back crying like a baby.

I like LT he's a great back. I think the most overrated stats he has is his receiving numbers. Its a big deal stat. When your team is bad a stat like that can get blown up. Bree's was scared to throw it downfield so he dumped it off. Lots of players could get those receiving numbers if they got the chances.

Mot really impressive. But his yeardage from scrimmage running is always a great stat.

But save me all the crying, shows passion maybe shows weakness maybe, depends on how you look at it. He's a great back nonetheless but doesn't mean he cares more than any other great back around the league. Just shows his level oif frustration.
Crying like a baby? C'mon now. Only true men are able to cry, let alone in the middle of an NFL locker room! It just shows how passionate and dedicated LaDainian is. You don't want your running back to be like that? Well, then so be it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
yeah...read a great article about his wife. At first I thought it was about her being a typical loud irritating athletes wife but its pretty complimentary. Interesting read.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts

So a lot of players can turn a pass 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage with 2 people in front of you into a 7 yard gain?

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Personally I think everyone who thinks LaDainian is overrated is a joke. His versatility makes him unlike any other back who's played maybe ever. He's amazing.

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jmk</b>!

Crying like a baby? C'mon now. Only true men are able to cry, let alone in the middle of an NFL locker room! It just shows how passionate and dedicated LaDainian is. You don't want your running back to be like that? Well, then so be it.
Come on man it doesn't matter. He's a great player thats all that matters. I knew someone would say they thought it passionate.

Same cats say Kobe was soft for crying after losing.

Its all irrelevant.

He's great and shows up game day to do his job well. So I guess other guys who don't cry are less passionate.

If Ray Lewis doesn't cry does that have impact. NO.

Its just a nice cushy story is all I'm saying.

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
Originally posted by <b>dmilesai</b>!

So a lot of players can turn a pass 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage with 2 people in front of you into a 7 yard gain?
Yeah I can name a half dozen or so who could do that.

He's a great player but he gets so many catches because of the offense they run and the sorry no account receivers they have.

Put him in another offense and he catches 50 balls.

Larry Centers was a great weapon outta the backfield but wasn't anything special from scrimmage. Just so happened he was good in space and got alot of balls thrown his way.

In Arizona the offense sucked so bad that he was given more chances than other backs doesn't make that stat special.

LT is great but to me those receiving stats mean what he's better at it than Ahman Green at catching the ball outta the backfield because he got 40 more chances.

Not hardly.

The meat and potatoes of a back is running the ball if he's fortunate enough to have an offense that features receptions by a running back then he'll have the chance to be a dual threat.

To me its a question of design that he caught 100 balls. Not neccesarily rare ability. Yards gained after catch a different story.

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Come on man it doesn't matter. He's a great player thats all that matters. I knew someone would say they thought it passionate.

Same cats say Kobe was soft for crying after losing.

Its all irrelevant.

He's great and shows up game day to do his job well. So I guess other guys who don't cry are less passionate.

If Ray Lewis doesn't cry does that have impact. NO.

Its just a nice cushy story is all I'm saying.
Don't twist it. You called him a crybaby. Not only was it completely wrong, but uncalled for as well.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Anyone who comes here to talk about what LT can't do and why he's overrated and such is going to eaten alive...just a warning...

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
You have to admit his stats are a little inflated if you want to or not.

The Chargers are absoultely aweful from the front office to the field. The Chargers begin and end at LT, that's all they have. Lets put it in a NBA comparison. If the Chargers where a NBA team they'd be the Clippers and if LT was their star player he'd average 40 a game.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Im The One</b>!

The Chargers are absoultely aweful from the front office to the field. The Chargers begin and end at LT, that's all they have. Lets put it in a NBA comparison. If the Chargers where a NBA team they'd be the Clippers and if LT was their star player he'd average 40 a game.
So on that same token, let's all admit that Jamal Lewis' stats were inflated because the Ravens' only other offensive weapon was Todd Heap.

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by <b>Im The One</b>!

We've gone over this over and over. You cannot compare the NFL to the NBA. In the NBA, you can have **** around you, but average 30 ppg. In the NFL, if you have nothing around you, you should do worse, not better. That's what makes LT so great. He put up one of the top seasons in the history of the NFL last year, and that was with no OL, no QB, and 9 players keying in on him every play.

·
Registered
9,447 Posts

Don't twist it. You called him a crybaby. Not only was it completely wrong, but uncalled for as well.
Who the heck says that you're he arbiter of whats called for people don't view everything like you do. I say its called for now what.

He cried so what.

I said it makes no difference to me it had no impact. I'm not a Chargers fan so to me its neither here nor there. I don't think it says anything about his passion . Like I said players who aren't crying I guess mean have less passion no it doesn't . Its just how he expresses himself so BIG DEAL.

·
Registered
9,447 Posts

We've gone over this over and over. You cannot compare the NFL to the NBA. In the NBA, you can have **** around you, but average 30 ppg. In the NFL, if you have nothing around you, you should do worse, not better. That's what makes LT so great. He put up one of the top seasons in the history of the NFL last year, and that was with no OL, no QB, and 9 players keying in on him every play.
My point exactly he had nothing around him so the numbers he put up were more indicative of his being his teams only option not of some great acheivement.

I respect the running from scrimmage stats and I think his receiving stats are eye popping but considering he is his teams only real option with his great ability they make sense to be so inflated.

Put Ahman Green, Priest Holmes, Deuce McCalister, Portis and they might very well have done the same things he did as far as 100 receptions. Playing in a system designed to give him that many opportunities.

I credit his talent for getting those numbers but his talent isn't so rare that other backs with similar skills couldn't have done it if the offense was tailored to them like it was to him.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts