Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Antoine's a scorer, and he doesn't know what they want him to do here"
"The reason why we were winning is because he was scoring, now he's lost"

Antoine went 12/32 in the Suns game, yet we won. The same vs the Pistons a week later. I know we're trying to keep him under control, but when a guy is offensively talented we should let him take shots.

I may have come to a conclusion on the Pierce topic also. I may have been overall too critical on him. But it may not be his fault. The way to win in this league, is to have your stars take shots, and as many shots as possible. Now I'm not talking about taking horrible shots, but when he has a shot, he should definitely take them.

Personally, I would love to see Paul, Toine, Ricky and Payton be more involved. Blount and Reaf are roll players, as are Jefferson, Perkins, Allen, West and Banks for now.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but I would like to see Paul get into the game more, and Antoine. Now I'm not talking about having Paul and Toine isolate on plays and everyone standing around, but the way Paul and Toine play (get one shot out of 10 trips down the court), they just can't get into a groove. Look at what Carter has done against us, the guy wouldn't miss anything and it wasn't because he took 1 shot every 4 minutes, but because he allowed himself to get into a groove early on (of course, he had some other supernatural help too).

I've also noticed that we don't go to the hot hand too much. And recently Paul has been shooting great from 3. Now why aren't we riding his back? There's not one single guy in this league that can cover him. And when he's hot, there's no stopping him. But you can't have him hot if he doesn't shoot.

I know everyone loves that we're "sharing" the ball/wealth, but in close games, we need to have someone we can count on, like the 6ers have with AI, the Nets with Carter, heck every team has. Yet we got these 12 guys we feel confident in, but besides 1/2 of them, none can be "the guy."

I just wish we'd make more plays for Pierce, Walker, Davis and Payton.

I don't know, but I think I've written enough. lol.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I do agree Pierce doesnt get enough playing time, and he being critized for not being more of a roll player, but its not easy when you dont get enough time, also Rivers is taking some heat for not letting Pierce play, but you cant forget we have alot of talented young players that are being developed, you have no idea of how hard it is to develop young players and give them legit playing time and at the same time try to win and go deep into the plays, I'll be interested to see how they play the vets and the young players come playoff time.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Pierce gets enough playing time.
But recently has to go to the halfcourt line to get the ball.
Nobody will get it to him.
Paul has got his confidence back in his shot.
Id atlest get him 16-17 shots per game.
He needs to work him inside out though.
There isn't anyone in the league that can go 1-1 with Paul.
Get him going to the basket and at the Free throw line.
Then get his jumper going. And you'll see "The Truth"

PdP

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, I'm not arguing that he's not getting enough time, he is. I'm arguing that he's not getting enough shots, which he's not.

Look at what the Nets did with Carter. They got him like 10 shots in the first quarter. Pierce had like 1 or 2. We need to get him involved, because we need him.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Aqua..

I've been saying the same thing.
During a game, I'm screaming cusrsing etc...
Get the ball to Pierce.
Looks to me like they'd rather get the ball in Blounts hands.
Pierce even calls for it and they pass the opposite direction.
Crazyness !!

PdP

·
Premium Member
8,260 Posts
Whenever Pierce, Davis or Walker is open, they should be shooting the ball. Its that simple. Unless there's someone wide open waiting to dunk or take a shot from seven feet or less, Pierce, Davis and Walker should be shooting when open. However, when one of them is not open, we need some guys cutting to the hoop and setting screens to get open shots. Those three are terrific scorers and terrific passers. They can all hit a cutter and hit an open man. We just need to get everyone moving all the time on offense to get open looks. When Walker, Pierce, Davis, or Gary Payton have the ball, if you get open, you'll get it and you'll get it where you can shoot it quickly. Its that simple.

Also, if one of these guys gets hot in the first, keep going to him until he cools off. When those three get hot, there aren't many in the league who can do anything about it to cool them off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts