Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight is a very sad night for me and New Jersey, regretablly tonight I am no longer a Nets fan. The Nets ownership stabbed the Nets fans and New Jersey in the back...in return I will never spend one more single cent towards the Nets. I will probably check on the them from time to time just to see how they're are doing. I hope the Nets average 0 people for the rest of the season, or even better I hope the brooklyn arena never gets approved. Sad day indeed. I just hope the Devils dont follow in the Nets footsteps.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Did you expect the Nets to play in Jersey with the terrible attendance forever?

Only ones to blame are the fans themselves. I honestly don't want to offend anyone here, because I understand some of you are pissed, but if its that easy to drop a team that you followed for so long, it must be pretty easy to stay home instead of going to a game when the team was in a slump. Brooklyn will have the arena packed, its a business decision.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been to six games so far this season. So don't tell me that I don't support the team. The fan base is hear...but the ownership started the backstabbing two years ago with raising the ticket prices. We live in a state with the highest property taxes, highest car insurance and highest rents and the thrid highest NBA ticket prices. And they ask to a family of four to shell out $500 on a consistent bases? Fine its a buisness decsion, but its also a stab to Nets fans who supported them here in NJ.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Geez, if you can just stop liking a team just like that...you never were a fan in the first place.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Nel</b>!
I've been to six games so far this season. So don't tell me that I don't support the team. The fan base is hear...but the ownership started the backstabbing two years ago with raising the ticket prices. We live in a state with the highest property taxes, highest car insurance and highest rents and the thrid highest NBA ticket prices. And they ask to a family of four to shell out $500 on a consistent bases? Fine its a buisness decsion, but its also a stab to Nets fans who supported them here in NJ.

Hey, you made a valid point and I respect that.

I am a little curious though, are you going to wait for a new team to come to NJ, or are you going to root for a current NBA team??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Intersting question...for now I don't see myself rooting for any particular team. I will however defintiely keep up with the NBA and watch the playoff games and like I said before I will probably take a peek from time to time to see how the Nets are doing. I doubt another team will come to NJ so I'm not holding my breath on that. Still won't root for the knicks though :p

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I hear ya. If the Nets would have moved to California or something like that, I'm not sure if it would feel right to root for them. It will be odd to see them playing for Brooklyn.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I live 20 minutes away from Rutgers...maybe they'll be my new basketball team to root for :grinning:

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Nel</b>!
We live in a state with the highest property taxes, highest car insurance and highest rents and the thrid highest NBA ticket prices. And they ask to a family of four to shell out $500 on a consistent bases? Fine its a buisness decsion, but its also a stab to Nets fans who supported them here in NJ.
Yes the cost of living is high in NJ, but so is the average income. It's a trade off.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I wasn't that pissed last night when I found the owners chose Ratner over Kushner. But last night, I thought Kushner/Corzine were still behind by 32.5 milllion dollars. But after reading the paper today, I am pretty angry. Kushner/Corzine actually gave a better bid, $300 Million Cash Straight - Up. Ratner's bid is for $300 million too, but he's not giving it all right away, and there are stipulations with his bid(He wants to be reimbursed for losses in ticket sales or something like that). The fact that the owners sold the Nets to a WORSE offer to take them to Brooklyn makes me furious. I'll probably watch this season more casually than before and by next season, I probably won't really follow the Nets much. I'll probably be a student at Rutgers next year and divert my attention to watching college ball instead of the Nets.

:sigh:

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I don't think moving to Brooklyn is bad at all. Yes it will be farther away and it will be a pain getting in to New York, but the team deserves a better crowd we knew they were going to move anyway so we should be happy they are not moving far away, so we can't watch the games on TV or go to the games.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The whole reason why I became a Nets fan in the first place is because they were from NJ. I was rooting for my homestate. So therefore I have no interest or desire to root for a team that is from Brooklyn, which I have never been. It may be a good move for the team and owners, but its a bad move for NJ.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Damian Necronamous</b>!
Geez, if you can just stop liking a team just like that...you never were a fan in the first place.
That is a pretty off thing to say. Alot of die hard fans are upset. The Nets have been a horrible team for the longest time, when things turn around they leave the state. Imagine the Clippers winning their division, going to the finals twice, and then leaving for another city. I'm sure other fans would be mad too if this were the conditions of their team.

-Petey

1 - 17 of 17 Posts