Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SPC needs to win this game to start the MAAC off the right way in OoC games against equal or lower ranked conferences. Games like this were lost to many times by MAAC teams last year resulted in the MAAc slipping to 22. I am pulling for SPC to get the win here against a tournament team from last year. :basket:

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Oakland has Wooten. He played for Rutgers and was a very good guard for them. He can score like Kee Kee and would be scoring 25 a game if he played for Siena this year. I just don't see St Petes winning this game. They are over-rated. One player doesn't make a team. They lost some very good players from last year. Their lack of experience playing together is going to hurt. Oakland went to the NCAA Tournament last year and looks to be the better team on paper. I am hoping for a St Peters win but in this environment it is unlikely.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
EC, I don't think anyone touted St. Peter's as anything, so I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Oakland beat them 72-69. MAAC already 0-2 OOC.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Beagle, the other reason the MAAC was 22 last year is because teams like Rider NEVER or rarely schedule opponents from major conferences.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Inside the MAAC nobody expects anything but outside of the MAAC on some online rankings and newsboards they are picked to come in 4th-5th and seen as a potential force - probably due to Kee Kee and his 2nd team all american ranking.

I wont be suprised if he ends up in the pros. He has a better game than Earl Boykins who at 5'3 started for the Nuggets last year. Some team may take a chance on him.

·
Registered
672 Posts
hahahahhahaha kiki is not in the same league as earl boykins, not as quick, strong, fast, doesn't pass as well, doesn't dribble as well, and while he may have a better shot, he doesn't get it off as quick.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
and what NBA team do you scout for Syi?

Kee Kee is on every NBA teams must see list.

He is projected to go late in the 2nd round by a few teams.

I know some team will take a chance on him if he doesn't get drafted.

He has a pro career in front of him - though not a great one as a back-up type player. He would be a fan favorite and GM's and Owners look to fill arena's any way they can at times.

It's too bad he is surrounded by mediocre talent.

If he played on Eastern Michigans team when Boykins was playing Kee Kee would be starting in front of Boykins. I saw Eastern Michigans team play at least a dozen times during his Jr and Sr years. I was at the game when they man handled Duke.

I have heard other coaches and players report that he Kee Kee is unguardable in one-on-one situations and would be at any level. In a 24 second NBA game he would be invaluable at times.

Sure Florida held him down - for multiple reasons. They wouldnt have if he was surrounded with better talent.

He has a great shot at the NBA.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Im really tired of hearing the argument if he was surronded by better talent, he would be a better player, if he had a better supporting cast he wouldn't be shooting the ball nearly as much as he does. Listen he is a very very good player, i don't deny that, i argued the other day that the loyola people had to stop saying collins was going to come in and be better than him. He will be a great player in europe. He isn't better than boykins, and if he gets into the nba and i hope he does and i hope im wrong, it will only be for 1 year.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I listened to this game until the final minute and I feel that Leckie and Clark cost SPC a W. I could not beleive Clarke tried to take the game over by himself when Spc was doing well up to that point spreading the shots around, no excuse for Orta who was carrying SPC to get frozen out. This was my take from listening to the game I realize Oakland may have switched the defense to take Orta out but it was a odd situation, my take was almost that Clarke was having a problem with the focus not on him. Leckie should have made sure the ball was getting to the open man. Just my :twocents:

It was a lost oppertunity for a OoC win for the MAAC and we need as many as we can get.

·
Registered
275 Posts
First let me say that I don't know much about the MAAC, went to Gainesville as an Albany fan. That said,
1. Clarke didn't look that good in either game. Both Florida and Oakland played tight D on him but he kept throwing up and missing three's. What I found really interesting was that no one was upset at all the misses - the gym was empty for the game last night and you could hear most of the player / coach conversations
2. I don't understand why Orta was on the bench late in the game against Oakland. I didn't time it, but I think he was out from about the 5 minute mark to about the 2 minute mark. No one else was making shots, Oakland was on a run and Orta was playing great - not sure why he wasn't in the game.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Reeder did Orta get any shots when Oakland was making their run or was Clark taking all the shots? Would like a first hand account TY, hard to tell from the Oakland webcast

·
Registered
275 Posts
Saint Peter's had about 5 or 6 straight one shot possessions - Clark missed a couple of three's, I think Orta may have missed a couple as well. Oakland scored after most of those possessions.

What appeared to be key was that Oakland dominated the boards. Not sure what the stats were, but Oakland had a 300+ pound kid in the post that had a lot of boards. Sowell banged with him, but I think in the end Saint Peter's had a lot of one shot possessions.

·
Registered
672 Posts
beagle what is your thought on kiki's nba chances, you post alot and i think you put thought into your posts, which way are you leaning, GuyF you too? what are your thoughts, i just don't see the room in the nba for a player like him, 5'6 shooting guard? I mean i don't think he is as good as Flores is and even after averaging about 15 ppg in the summer league he is still looking for a place to play. the league doesn't like 2guards under 6 4.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't think he will get drafted, He will get invites to camp and most likely hang around for mini camp but his only shot is at PG, I was impressed last night when SPC was playing well and leading he was not forcing his shot things got tight and it seemed like he had to push things and start firing shots also had a few to's when Oakland made their run. I will give him a break if he is injured but I would have been more impressed last night if he was willing to play the point and get his team the best shot. He felt he had to shoot instead. That is one of the problems with a pg who looks shot first if they are on they can get lots of points but if they are off and keep forcing shots their team rarely wins. I think if he is in the right situation he may make a roster and be a back up in the NBA but it is a size league not many small guards anymore, Boinkens, Washington, Iverson, can't think of many more guards under 6' in the league.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
6 Foot Guards and under

True NBA Draft Camp Measured Height

Allen Iverson 6'0
Andre Barrett 5'8
TJ Ford 5'10
Mo Williams 6'0
Washington 5'9
Sebastian Telfair 5'11
Speedy Claxton 5'10
Earl Boykins 5'4
Chris Paul 5'11
Jameer Nelson 5'10
Tyrone Lue 5'11
Dan Dickau 5'11
Brevin Knight 5'10
Mike Wilks 5'10
Eddie Gill 5'11
Damon Stoudamire 5'10
Antonio Burks 6'0
Troy Hudson 6'0
Keydren Clark 5'8

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
shows what I know about the NBA, lol I don't think you will see Kiki measure at 5'8" also most of them are very fast and from larger conferences then the MAAC, Kiki is not a lock down defender which will hurt him at his size

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
I've met KeeKee and stood next to him while conversing. He's 5-7.

I think he's a better defender than given credit for. Maybe even much better.

All of that said, I'm not sure if he can cut it in the NBA--especially since, as we've seen, Luis Flores didn't.

And yes, I am in the camp that feels that Flores is the MAAC's best player since Simmons.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
It would be hard to Kiki to make the NBA. But make no doubt about it, the kid will make plenty of cash somewhere around the world. He is a tremendous talent. He could be a 15th man on some NBA team (I heard they might expand that rosters?) or he could be a star in Europe. I'd take the latter.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts