Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/...YSA031505.4D.BKNspurs.notebook.13bf338fd.html

Backcourt tandem doubtful vs. Wolves: Ginobili's groin, Parker's thigh remain sore spots
Web Posted: 03/15/2005 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich isn't optimistic about Manu Ginobili's chances of playing Wednesday against Minnesota.
Ginobili has missed the past three games with a groin strain he suffered a week ago in the Spurs' victory over New Jersey.

"He says his shoulder contusion, his calf contusion and his hip pointer — everything else that was bothering him is fine," Popovich said. "If you ask him how his groin is, he says it's a little better but still tight."

Tony Parker, who missed his first game of the season Monday with a left quadriceps contusion, is questionable to play against the Timberwolves. But Popovich thinks he will be able to play by Friday against Charlotte.

Parker has a knot bigger than a golf ball on his left thigh.

"I don't think he'll be out as long as Manu's been," Popovich said. "Hopefully, it will loosen up in a couple of days."

The rash of injuries hasn't come at a good time, though Popovich said the team is trying to make the best of a bad situation.

"This is when you would like to get on a roll going into the playoffs, so (the injuries) have made it difficult to do that," he said. "But this is the way it is.

"We'll take anything good out of it we can get. There are a lot of guys that are getting more minutes. Their effort has been great.

"Their execution isn't always the best with the odd combinations on the court, but they're playing hard enough to win. I just want to see if they stick with it and continue to improve in execution, understanding that's still the same thing that wins games, whether they're starters or not."

Maybe next time: Spurs backup point guard Beno Udrih said he's leaning toward not playing for Slovenia's national team in this summer's European Championships.

Udrih hurt his knee playing for the team last summer and thinks he might need the rest after his first NBA season.

"Last year was just too much practicing," Udrih said. "When you're not rested enough, you get hurt."

Udrih said he will have other opportunities to play for the national team.

Off the bench: Nazr Mohammed had his second consecutive productive game, contributing eight points, five rebounds and two blocks in 21 minutes.

Mohammed said he feels significantly better since he missed four games to recover from a groin strain. Popovich has noticed.

"He has a real knack for the ball, he's a good rebounder, and he moves well defensively," Popovich said. "We like what we've seen."

Bench time: After scoring a career-best 25 points in his last appearance against the Spurs, New Orleans rookie shooting guard J.R. Smith spent much of Monday evening watching from the sideline.

Smith started but played only nine minutes until Hornets coach Byron Scott sat him. Smith never re-entered the game.

"I was upset in his defensive play, and I was upset with his attitude," Scott said. "At 19 years old, if he's going to act like that, he's going to sit down for a while."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

I hope Tony and Manu get well soon because we're going to need them healthy to get anywhere in the playoffs :cry:

·
Registered
793 Posts
Maybe next time: Spurs backup point guard Beno Udrih said he's leaning toward not playing for Slovenia's national team in this summer's European Championships.

Udrih hurt his knee playing for the team last summer and thinks he might need the rest after his first NBA season.

"Last year was just too much practicing," Udrih said. "When you're not rested enough, you get hurt."

Udrih said he will have other opportunities to play for the national team.
:dead: ...damn...

·
Registered
657 Posts
Bad news Matiz..But I kind of understand Udrih . He suffered a bad injury a few years ago and he just want to get some rest . The news is disappointing , but not that surprising..Parker missed a couple of games with the french NT earlier this year as well .

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
I'm sad to see they are still out, but the main objective here is to get them healthy so we can succeed in the playoffs. Beno filled in quite nicely as did Barry the other night against NO. As long as we have TD in the line-up, we should be fine against the T-Wolves.

I don't want either of them risking further injury by coming back too early. They and Pop know when it'll be time for them to come back, and until that time, we'll just have to play as best we can with the people that can play. We still have players who can play, so I'm not too worried about our forthcoming games.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
As I mentioned in the other thread, I'm frustrated at the situation, not at the players for being injured. I guess you've got to go through these things all season long, but having your best 3 players all injured at basically the same time during this time of the season is very bad. As long as they can get healthy and stay healthy, things should be good.

On another note, Miami has caught up with us and Phoenix in the race for the best record in the league. They currently have one more win and one more loss than both SA and Phoenix, and if they get homecourt advantage throughout the playoffs they are a serious serious threat no matter what conference they are in.

·
Registered
752 Posts
If they are both injured bench them once again.
We do not need either TP or Manu to beat them at the SBC Center anyways.
Beno can give Hudson a run for his money, BB will hopefully have a good game, Spree can help as his alphabet is missing one letter -D of course.
Timmay looked great yesturday, he was smooth and had one or two nice moves, he should be just fine tomorrow.
Do the Wolves have a legit center? Well we now have two.

Pop just rest TP and Gino if they need to, Wolves are just pathetic this year.

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
i think we will win by 7 or more but we need manu and parker soon very soon

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
we need to get chemistry back and get on a role before playoffs

11,213 Posts
TheRoc5 said:
we need to get chemistry back and get on a role before playoffs
That's true, but I rather we are as healthy as possible before the playoffs. I think we'll be close to 100% by the end of the month. That would leave us plenty of time for a big run like last year's. Although, I think this entire year was a pretty good run before the playoffs :biggrin:

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
yes but lets not get to cocky :biggrin:

11,213 Posts
Luiz_Rodrigo said:
We´ll beat the Timberwolves with or without them.
Again, aslong as we have Duncan. If we don't then who is going to guard KG? Rasho and Horry can't, and I doubt Nazr can but I haven't seen enough of him yet to know.

·
Registered
752 Posts
ezealen said:
That's true, but I rather we are as healthy as possible before the playoffs. I think we'll be close to 100% by the end of the month. That would leave us plenty of time for a big run like last year's. Although, I think this entire year was a pretty good run before the playoffs :biggrin:
Not to mention it's a great chance for our subs to play some important minutes and get in shape for the playoffs.
Most players have been playing with each other for a long time and the team chemistry was there early in the season.
Moreover the record is pretty good so far. There's no need to panic because the Spurs won't finish the season in a roll ala last couple of years.
As Koko, I'm more worried about the fact our best players esp. Tim seem to get injured on a regular basis (or out of shape).
I pray they'll all be fine come playoff time, and I guess every Spurs fan should do so.

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
:gopray:

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
u said to pray lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts