Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The University of North Carolina men's basketball team will probably still be celebrating their 2005 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament championship when executives from around the NBA gather in Portsmouth, VA this week to prepare for the 2005 NBA Draft.

Members of the 76ers basketball operations department, who often serve a dual role, will be there. Throughout the year, President/General Manager Billy King, Senior Vice President/Asst. General Manager Tony DiLeo, and the rest of the executives and scouting staff are doing everything they can to make the current team win games, while also constantly looking at the future and how they can improve the team.

That’s what DiLeo is doing this week in Portsmouth at a gathering of some of the top college seniors in the country from April 6-9. DiLeo and executives from the rest of the NBA teams will be taking a look at potential draft picks for the 2005 NBA Draft.

“Usually the top picks, like lottery picks or whatever, do not go [to Portsmouth],” DiLeo said. “They don’t want to hurt their value or get hurt. It’s basically a lot of late-round picks or second-round picks at Portsmouth.”

The Portsmouth event puts the attendees in game situations, with six teams of approximately ten players each playing against each other. It gives DiLeo a chance to see the players in a new situation.

“It’s very important because we get to see them in another light,” DiLeo said. “We’ve watched them in college for four years in certain systems and going against certain players, but now we see them in a new light, playing in a different system, playing with other people. It’s just game situations. If you want you can sit down with a player and interview him there.”

The Portsmouth event is just part of a process that NBA teams will undergo throughout the spring to determine who is the best fit for their plans when the draft rolls around in June..................

“We don’t’ have a first round pick unless we finish in the top eight in the draft,” DiLeo said. “If we are in the lottery for some reason and our pick is 1 through 8, we would keep our pick. Otherwise we do not have a first round pick, and right now we do not have a second round pick. But like we’ve done in the past, if there’s a player we like, then we usually go out and get a pick to get that player, like we did with Kyle Korver, or Todd MacCulloch. If there’s a player we like we usually go and get that player.”
LINK

There should be some interesting second round guys, but the question I wonder is how far into the round can the Sixers trade? Would it be a late round pick, much like MacCullouch and Korver or could they somehow land an early second rounder?

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Is it possible for us to just pick anyone who wasn't drafted up after the draft like the Mavericks did with Marquis Daniels?

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kunlun said:
Is it possible for us to just pick anyone who wasn't drafted up after the draft like the Mavericks did with Marquis Daniels?
In that case the player would be a free agent, and would be free to go where he chooses.

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
PhillyPhanatic said:
In that case the player would be a free agent, and would be free to go where he chooses.
Since we don't have a draft pick this year I think we should look at some young college prospects that aren't likely to get drafted. Look what the Mavericks found with Marquis Daniels and the teams that picked up Ben Wallace and Brad Miller. I'm sure there will be some solid players available that will not be drafted due to their limited potential or other problems and I would like to see us take a look at them and possibly sign some.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kunlun said:
Since we don't have a draft pick this year I think we should look at some young college prospects that aren't likely to get drafted. Look what the Mavericks found with Marquis Daniels and the teams that picked up Ben Wallace and Brad Miller. I'm sure there will be some solid players available that will not be drafted due to their limited potential or other problems and I would like to see us take a look at them and possibly sign some.
Every team does that anyway, but I doubt you'll find players like Brad Miller and Marquis Daniels often being undrafted. Instead of doing that, it'd be a pretty good idea to try and lure some American born players who've been playing a few years overseas.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll be posting any and all articles I can find on the Portsmouth in this thread. So we can learn about some of the players who are participating.

Even though he has watched his older brother bounce around professional basketball like a bad pass, Pat Carroll still dreams about an NBA career.

"I know it's kind of a bizarre job," Carroll said yesterday before departing for Portsmouth, Va., for this week's pre-NBA draft tournament.

Matt Carroll, who like his younger brother had a superb collegiate career as a three-point gunner, had been on the rosters of the Knicks, Trail Blazers, Spurs and Warriors the last two years before an outstanding stint in the NBA's developmental league finally won him a steady job with the Bobcats late this season.

"It's been crazy for Matt," said Carroll, the St. Joseph's senior. "There's not much stability in that job."

Still, along with Penn's Tim Begley and a couple of other prospects with local roots, San Francisco's John Cox, West Virginia's D'or Fischer and UTEP's Omar Thomas, Carroll will showcase his skills in Virginia. There, eight eight-man teams will compete in a tournament that will attract more than 200 scouts from the NBA and professional leagues in Europe.

"My first option is the NBA," Carroll said. "But if that doesn't work out, I'd like to play in Europe. And if there's nothing at all out there for me, I guess I'll look for a job in my major [information systems] or some kind of related business job."

The 6-foot-5, 190-pound Carroll said he hadn't thought much about professional basketball while the Hawks were marching toward the NIT final, where they lost to South Carolina on a last-second shot.

"But after the season Coach [Phil] Martelli said [the Portsmouth camp] would probably be a good opportunity for me to show what I can do, not just to the NBA scouts but to the people from Europe, too," Carroll said.

What those scouts are likely to see from Carroll this weekend is what Big Five fans already know. He is a player who moves effectively off screens, catches and releases the ball quickly, and buries a high percentage of three-pointers.

In 35 games with St. Joe's, during which he averaged 18.3 points, the Hatboro-Horsham product hit 135 threes in 311 attempts (43.4 percent).
LINK

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
I know that guy Taylor Coppenrath is participating in the Portsmouth competition. He was second in the NCAA in scoring, but is not considered a true NBA prospect. He's supposedly too slow and unathletic to succeed in the NBA. He's a big man who can shoot and he led his team past Hakim Warick's Syracuse squad in the NCAA tournament recently. Do you think if he does well at the Invitational we should take a look at him since there is a good chance he will not be drafted?

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kunlun said:
I know that guy Taylor Coppenrath is participating in the Portsmouth competition. He was second in the NCAA in scoring, but is not considered a true NBA prospect. He's supposedly too slow and unathletic to succeed in the NBA. He's a big man who can shoot and he led his team past Hakim Warick's Syracuse squad in the NCAA tournament recently. Do you think if he does well at the Invitational we should take a look at him since there is a good chance he will not be drafted?
I think simply based on his college career, and how well acclaimed he was he'll be drafted somewhere in the second. Also he didn't have too good of a tournament, so he'll be interesting to follow. Many compared him to Larry Bird, but it's a terrible comparison, completely terrible.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is that time of year when former college basketball players are invited to All-Star tournaments across the country to showcase their talents for professional scouts. University of Wyoming senior point guard Jay Straight is one of those select few who received an invitation to one of the most prestigious of those All-Star events -- the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament (PIT) in Portsmouth, Va.

The 2005 Portsmouth Invitational will feature a total of 64 of the nation's top players on eight, eight-man teams. The schedule of games begins on Wednesday, April 6 and runs through Saturday, April 9, with the championship game scheduled for 7:30 p.m., Eastern Time (5:30 p.m., Mountain Time) on Saturday the 9th.

Straight is a member of the Tidewater Sealants team, which will also feature Jawad Williams of 2005 NCAA National Champion North Carolina and Alan Anderson of 2005 Final Four participant Michigan State. The Tidewater Sealant team is scheduled to play its first game of the tournament on Thursday, April 7 vs. the Norfolk Naval Shipyard team that will feature University of Kansas senior point guard Aaron Miles and Wisconsin-Milwaukee standout Ed McCants.

Other top players invited to this year's Portsmouth Invitational include: Chuck Hayes of Kentucky, Jackie Manuel of North Carolina, Ivan McFarlin of Oklahoma State, Taylor Coppenrath and T.J. Sorrentine both of Vermont and Filiberto Rivera of UTEP.

The University of Wyoming has a long history of having its players invited to the Portsmouth Invitational. The former Cowboys who have played in previous Portsmouth Invitationals include: Reggie Slater in 1992, Theo Ratliff in 1995, Anthony Blakes in 2000, Josh Davis in 2002 and in 2003 Uche Nsonwu-Amadi was invited to participate but played in the National Association of Basketball Coaches All-Star game instead.
LINK

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some names of players who dropped out:
This list of pull-outs includes players such as Daniel Ewing (Duke), Eddie Basden (Charlotte), Will Bynum (Georgia Tech), BJ Elder (Georgia Tech), Larry O'Bannon (Louisville), Ellis Myles (Louisville), Chevon Troutman (Pitt) and Rawle Marshall (Oakland).
Of course, the good news is that many talented players HAVE decided to show up. These players include Jawad Williams (UNC), Taylor Coppenrath (Vermont), Aaron Miles (Kansas), Jason Maxiell (Cincinnati), Alan Anderson (Michigan State), D'Or Fischer (West Virginia), Omar Thomas (UTEP), Fili Rivera (UTEP), Terrence Leather (South Florida) Quemont Greer (DePaul) and MANY others. Everyone I spoke with seemed to be very excited about the field, and just hope the kids will get the jitters out and play to their maximum ability. One scout I spoke with thinks that getting 8-10 players that don't want to be here and replacing them with players that are dying for exposure is a perfect thing to do for the chemistry of the teams. He thinks it always gives the other star players a better chance to stand out.

The new players that have been invited: Willie Jenkins (Tennessee Tech), Luqman Jaaber (Virginia Union), Tyrone Salley (West Virginia), Andre Owens (Houston), Doron Perkins (Santa Clara), Nate Daniels (Mountain State), Guillaume Yango (Pacific) and Seamus Boxley from Portland State. Perkins is someone to look out for from what I've seen this year in the WCC.
-Jason Maxiell was arguably the most impressive player yet, playing with amazing intensity. Scoring, rebounding, dunking everything he could get his hands on, blocking shots (sometimes into the fifth row where the scouts were sitting), just doing everything. His stock just got a nice boost.

-Taylor Coppenrath didn’t do anything to really separate himself as a player worthy of an NBA draft pick. He was dominated by Jason Maxiell, especially on the glass where he just could not box him out.

-Juan Mendez performed well, finishing with 22 points and 12 rebounds, after started off poorly with only 4 points on 1-5 shooting in the first half.

-Unfortunately for both Mendez and Maxiell, their teams both lost, so they will not be around much longer for us to see again.

-Little known David Logan (of the Division II college Indianapolis) also played very well, finishing with 20 points and 7 assists in 24 minutes. He began by playing fairly selfish for a 6’1” point guard, but ending up playing a very complete game. He was one of the fastest players on the court today, and helped his time to an excellent 109-102 overtime win. Jared Homan was also part of this win, and had a very nice game himself with 18 points and 11 rebounds.
LINK

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BEEZ said:
I think we need to go Home grown and get Omar Thomas back here.
I'll be honest, I know absolutely nothing about him, can you fill us in?

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BEEZ said:
Certainly. Heres a recent link on him. http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/16/s...00&en=b0ee85a67ace6725&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt

My sister and this guy used to date. I will post a more indepth report of him later on
Thanks, sounds like an interesting player. Think he might be one of those players available after the draft is over?

I'm also hoping the Sixers can workout something to get Lynn Greer to come and be our backup PG, since he's looking to try the NBA again this offseason.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Things are pretty out of order since I didn't get this ready until too late:

Normally, winning an exhibition game wouldn't be a big deal.

But Jay Straight looks at his Tidewater Sealants' 91-88 victory over the Beach Barton Fords in the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament on Friday a bit differently.

The win ensures the former Wyoming guard gets to play in front of NBA scouts one more time at the showcase event for college seniors in Portsmouth, Va. Straight's Tidewater team will play in the consolation championship today at 1:15 p.m.

"My main goal was to come out here and play three days to get all the exposure I can," said Straight, who finished with 11 points and six assists on Friday. "Right now, that's what I'm going to."
LINK

PORTSMOUTH -- Ronald Ross was the first one to admit he stunk it up at the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament. But getting there was quite an accomplishment.

Ross went from walk-on to all-conference at Texas Tech, and he's used to quickly flipping to the bright side of things.

"I know this wasn't a really good tournament for me," Ross said Thursday afternoon, the Churchland High gym emptying out after his team had been eliminated. "I didn't do as well as I would have liked to. But I know there's a lot more opportunity ahead for me.

"So next time I'll just have to make more of it than what I did for this situation."

Ross, a 6-foot-2 guard, kept trying. He jacked up shots throughout two games, but ended up a combined 2-of-18 from the floor for four points.

This isn't exactly what you want pro scouts to see, and it's worst-case scenario for a player trying to raise his stock. But a closer look puts Ross in context.

Despite playing on three state championship teams at Hobbs High in New Mexico, he was offered little scholarship money.

No problem. Bobby Knight's staff at Texas Tech showed interest and recruited him as a walk-on.

"I just wanted to go somewhere where we were going to be able to win and have the national spotlight on you-not necessarily myself, but my team," Ross said. "I went for it and tried to make the best of it. When I first went in, I knew I could play at that level and I had a lot of confidence going in."
LINK

I'm not sure if there's a place in the league for Ronald Ross, he's 6'2 (in pumps if you ask me) SG, unlike Allen Iverson he's not a good enough athlete or fast enough to overcome that lack of size. He'd have to show an ability to run PG, and I don't think he can do it.

An Ivy Leaguer shined at last night's game at the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament, a camp featuring prospects for June's NBA draft.

But that player was not Penn's Tim Begley, it was Princeton's Judson Wallace. The center scored 13 points on 4-of-7 shooting as his Portsmouth Sports Club topped Begley's Beach Barton Ford squad, 86-82.

Begley had two points, two rebounds and two assists on 1-of-3 shooting. Penn's all-time leader in three pointers was 0-for-2 from beyond the arc in his 19 minutes of play.

North Carolina's Jackie Manuel led all scorers in the game with 22 points.

Begley will have a chance to put up better numbers tomorrow at 3:15 p.m.

Penn guard Ibby Jaaber's brother, Luqman, had four points and assists in a 77-76 victory Wednesday night.

The only other prospect from the Big 5 at Portsmouth was St. Joseph's Pat Carroll, who scored 10 points in a 109-102 victory Wednesday night.
LINK

PORTSMOUTH -- Jackie Manuel appeared to be running off the adrenaline from North Carolina's national championship Monday night, while Jawad Williams experienced a letdown.

The two Tar Heels starters, playing on different teams, made their first appearances at the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament at Churchland High Thursday night. Theirs were among the most sought after autographs at the PIT, where they were applauded and congratulated at almost every turn.

It was the last part of a frenetic week.

"It hits me once in a while, that we're actually national champions," Manuel said. "I don't really think about it until I go in public and a lot of people say: 'Congratulations.' "

Manuel, playing for Beach Barton Ford, wowed the crowd with thunderous dunks as part of a 22-point performance on 10-of-12 shooting from the floor. The 6-foot-5 guard, who was UNC's defensive stopper, also had six rebounds and four blocks in his team's 86-81 loss.

Williams, on the Tidewater Sealants, scored eight points in a 103-69 loss that he took hard, showing that competitors hate to lose regardless of the situation. He had rebounded from a late-season slump to shine at last weekend's Final Four, but was a little deflated by his latest court experience.
LINK

More to come..

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Day Two
MD Designs vs. Sales System

Jason Maxiell, Cincinnati

Despite only measuring out at 6-6, this was another great day for Jason Maxiell. He dominated the game once again, separated himself as clearly the best big man at the camp, and just did whatever he wanted whenever he wanted to, truly one of the nastiest players in college basketball. Or as the scouts like to call him "a *****" (no joke...that's a good thing, I swear). He has this scowl on his face the entire game, is constantly trying to rip off the rim every time he dunks, and there just isn’t a player here that can guard him. He was flying over players the`entire game, elevating and dunking with authority whenever he got the ball in the paint. His vertical leap is just shocking considering how bulky he is. Even when he is shooting (and nailing) the mid-range jumper he just gets up in the air and ends up throwing the ball downwards towards the basket because of how high up he is. No one could keep him out of the paint and he established position and caught the ball whenever he felt like it. He had 14 points in the 1st half, and 20 for the game to go along with 2 blocks and 4 rebounds. I think tomorrow is his final game and that’s a damn shame unless you are a big man (or another big man's agent) that's also participating at this camp.

Ivan McFarlin, Oklahoma State

The perfect sidekick for Maxiell, McFarlin seemed as if he hadn’t even missed a beat from leaving Eddie Sutton’s system at Oklahoma State. He was all over the glass on both ends of the court, scoring all of his points off garbage, but really helping his team with his energy and hustle. He must be one of the scrappiest, hardest working guys at this camp, and considering the talent level here, that’s saying an awful lot. He’s probably not big, athletic or skilled enough to get drafted (but who knows at this point), but he surely made himself some money tonight with the way he played in front of the European scouts. In a couple of years, after he works a bit on his offense outside of 5 feet, he might be a good guy for an NBA team to bring in if they want to make their team a little bit tougher.

Deng Gai, Fairfield

The loser from the terrific McFarlin-Maxiell MD Designs combo in the post was clearly Deng Gai. For the 2nd straight day Gai did a whole lot of nothing in his time on the court. He only got 19 minutes today (compared with Maxiell’s 31) but what he did with those 19 compared with Maxiell’s 31 left no doubt that the coach was making the right move considering the fact that the team needed to win in order to play another game. Gai basically got no looks (only two shots to go along with 4 rebounds and 2 blocks) and looked to pass every time he got the ball because of how raw he is offensively. He is still incredibly intriguing because of his size and 9 foot wingspan, but he did not help himself much today. He might be able to get himself an invite to Chicago (he appears to be borderline at this point) based on his potential, but he was already there last year and didn’t do a whole lot either. He’ll have to take matters into his own hands tomorrow to really make a solid case for himself.

Juan Mendez, Niagara

Mendez had another good game statistically, but not really in terms of convincing the scouts that he’ll be able to make the NBA as a 6-7 power forward. He drifted out to the perimeter again an awful lot, trying to show off his range, and nailed a couple of threes, but also missed badly on a few. It was the same thing that happened last game, he fell in love with the outside jump shot, got off to a very slow start, and then made a lot of damage in the 2nd half around the basket where he is clearly a lot more comfortable. Mendez and his team lost today and that’s it for them at Portsmouth. It's unclear whether he showed enough to garner another look at Chicago, it will probably boil down to just how crowded the field is.

Carlos Powell, South Carolina

Even though he’s going home, Powell might be the most intriguing prospect to be found on Sales System’s roster. He’s a 6-7 very athletic small forward, with a good body, a nice handle and a knack for getting to the basket. He was clearly having fun today, doing a little bit of everything, making some very athletic moves, and even though he had a couple of nice hook shots rim out for him, he looked like a pretty intriguing prospect that might get some more looks down the road if he continues to develop his perimeter game.

The Dajuan Wagner award

Every day we’ll hand out this award to the player that does his best Dajuan Wagner impersonation. This is dedicated to our favorite NBA ballhog, reserved strictly for 2 guards who are masquerading as 1’s while refusing to pass the ball to anyone else on their team. Today’s award goes out to Jerry Johnson from Ryder, who proved his worthiness by taking the air out of the ball on the perimeter dozens of times and dribbling around for 15-20 seconds at a time before jacking up an off-balance fadeaway jumpshot. His teammates were pleading for the ball, the crowd groaned everytime he touched it, but Johnson just kept jacking em up, even if they sometimes somehow went in. Congrats to Johnson. I’m sure his teammates at Ryder are devastated at him graduating, as are we about his team being sent home.

Will Conroy, Washington

Conroy put himself firmly on the NBA draft radar today with the way he has played and carried himself so far. He was a very borderline prospect coming in here, but made a great case for himself as a solid backup PG to bring off the bench and to have in practice because of his smarts, character, energy, leadership and work ethic. He did a great job getting everyone involved today, mixing his scoring with a good amount of passing, pushing the tempo when needed, getting in the lane, playing solid D, doing a little bit of everything and showing a solid attitude throughout. He’s exactly the type of PG you want to have running a team here at Portsmouth. The field of PG’s will be pretty crowded at Chicago most likely, but he made a solid case for himself today. He might not get drafted necessarily, but he’s got a better chance now at making someone’s team which is all he should care about.

Beach Barton Ford vs. Portsmouth Sports Club

T.J Sorrentine, Vermont

I was a bit surprised to see Sorrentine’s name on the list of players when the rosters came out, because from the little I had seen of him he did not seem like an NBA prospect at all. He definitely changed my mind about that today, especially when you compare him with a lot of other guys at his position that I thought much more highly of and didn’t show squat today. Sorrentine is a very unorthodox PG, he plays the game in a way that’s very unique to him, with the way he shoots, the way he pushes the ball, gets in the lane, and the decisions he makes. Today it was all coming together for him, though. He was always upping the tempo of the game, being extremely unselfish and doing a fantastic job of moving the ball around and getting everyone involved. Sorrentine also knocked down a bunch of three pointers to solidify himself as one of the best shooters at this camp. The European scouts around me were especially intrigued, especially when one of them mentioned that he should be able to get an Italian passport because of his family’s heritage. He definitely helped himself today, even though he lost.

Quemont Greer, Depaul

Greer may have ended up with a nice statline, but nothing he did today impressed me as far as the NBA draft is concerned. He showed off a very weak handle, very average athletic ability, and he forced things horribly when he was on the perimeter. Maybe I am being too harsh on him considering that he scored 19 points, but I just wasn’t impressed by anything he did and still consider him a major tweener.

Chuck Hayes, Kentucky

A pretty solid game from the Kentucky's tweener big man. He showed a very nice handle while slashing to the basket a couple of times, a part of his game that I wasn't really sure about before. He was very aggressive as always, and made some terrific passes to his teammates to end the first half on his way to a triple double with 5 points, 5 rebounds and 4 assists. He was always somehow around the ball and affecting the game, playing very good defense on the biggest player on the floor, a 6-11 big guy that struggled with Hayes' strength and relentlessness. As usual he did all the little things for his team, in his usual intelligent way, but at the end of the day he's still a 6-6 SF/PF at best. Will it be enough to get him a look at the next level?

Jackie Manuel, North Carolina

The star of the game, and probably of the entire day and maybe tournament so far. Manuel showed off things that we never ever got to see out of him at UNC with the role he was playing. I thought he was a pretty athletic kid before today, but I had no idea just HOW incredibly athletic he is. Manuel was flying all over the place today, getting up to block shots (4) emphatically, finish alleyoop passes (from Sorrentine), bounce back off the floor from his own personal trampoline for offensive rebounds, pinning shots on the backboard after he already trailed by a good 10 feet, finishing the break with a powerful tomahawk jam, etc etc. He was easily the most athletic player we’ve seen so far, but he also played some outstanding defense, hit a 3 (maybe with a toe on the line but I didn’t think so), put the ball on the floor and finished, there was simply nothing that he didn’t show. I had to restrain myself numerous times from standing up and going nuts after he made yet another incredible play, reminding myself that I am sitting in the press box and we’re not supposed to do that unfortunately. The fact that he managed to play the way he did just 3 days off winning a national championship makes this even more impressive I thought. Manuel put himself firmly on the NBA draft radar with the skills he showed today, leapfrogging a couple of 2 guards who didn’t show up at Portsmouth and maybe even doing enough to garner an invite to Chicago if he plays well enough in his next game.
LINK

Man, Jackie Manuel is putting in work, the whole time he was at UNC I thought he was just a defender, maybe we could try and somehow get him?

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Another idea to get a second round pick this year is to buy them from the team that picks them like we did with Kyle Korver in New Jersey two years ago.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts