Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DENVER -- A sloppy and lethargic Trail Blazers team was run out of the Pepsi Center on Monday night as rookie Carmelo Anthony and the Denver Nuggets applied a dose of reality in the form of a 116-97 win.

Anthony scored a career-high 39 points, and the Blazers stumbled to 24 turnovers to help add credence to the theory that the Blazers' season-long four-game winning streak was grossly inflated because of playing poor competition.

Either way, it was a painful loss for the Blazers (21-25), who fell into an 11th-place tie with the Los Angeles Clippers, 41/2 games behind Memphis and Houston for the eighth and final Western Conference playoff spot.

Personally, I thought it was mean how Anthony teased Stoudamire with the ball during last night’s game.

It must have been like taking candy away from a baby. Anthony is going to be a great player. Portland needs to get a win in Phoenix and start another sting. Portland can't get down on this game, it's over and there is nothing that they can do about it, but move on.

Oregonlive.com

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Yeah, turnovers.

Too much lackadaisical passing; some indecision on Miles' part at Point; some stupid decisions.

The team has great potential, but you know what they say about that. :rolleyes:

Seriously, though, this team is really pretty good. They just need to settle down and dedicate themselves to focus and execution. They're definitely a playoff team. I just hope it's not too little, too late.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
They need to seriously consider their efforts on defense.. its swiss cheese at best last night.

defense fuels their running game, which we have not seen a lot of until Darius came aboard this year.

I sure miss it....

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Turnovers and bad defense was the story for sure. Portland was very sloppy with the ball. Many of the passes into the post were horrible...Damon telegraphed many of his entries into the post that resulted in steal after steal. And the defense...leaving guys open all night. Portland was again poor at the line but that isn't really new.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BLAZER PROPHET</b>!
I missed the game- who guarded Carmello?
Portland primarily had Miles or Patterson on Melo. He was on fire the whole night. He did have about 4 or 5 dunks...most of those were uncontested for some reason. How in the hell do you lose Melo out of anyone on that team?

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
BTW,

DA's profound quote..

"I don't think you read too much into these games," said Derek Anderson, who finished with five points on 1 of 3 shooting. "It's just one of those games that happen over the course of an NBA season: A team that is riding high gets knocked off. I think the next two games (at Phoenix and at Utah) will tell us about this team."
Personally, I don't know if this remark deserves a :rolleyes: , a :gopray: , a :rock: , or a :laugh:

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
The team has great potential, but you know what they say about that.
Yeah, it's what gets a coach fired (from John Thompson). Oh wait, our coach is impervious to that.

Portland primarily had Miles or Patterson on Melo. He was on fire the whole night. He did have about 4 or 5 dunks...most of those were uncontested for some reason. How in the hell do you lose Melo out of anyone on that team?
Hideous help defense. I've seen better rotation to the ball in lunch time games with overweight college profs.

Dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts