3. Wilt = 28.1

4. David Robinson = 27.4

5. Kareem = 27.1

6. Karl Malone = 26.1

7. Charles Barkley = 25.8

8. Tim Duncan = 25.4

9. Kevin Garnett = 25.3

10. Hakeem Olajuwon = 24.9

The numbers were obtained by checking PER for each respective player's best 11 consecutive seasons.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
Seems a bit odd to just average the best 11 years. I suppose it probably helps Kareem, but why bother. That method distorts more than it clarifies. You're removing half of Kareem's career and nearly half of Malones. Don't care to argue with the list, but the methodology doesn't look sound.

At any rate you run into a lot of subtle problems when you try to use PER to compare players from different eras. In general Career PER is problematic because it is something which is computed for each individual season and it depends on the performance of every player in the league for that season. That makes it very good for comparing contemporaries, but not so much for this purpose. It pretty much says how productive and efficient you were compared to players you actually played against.

·
Will of Chilltown
3,722 Posts
If you want to see the actual best it's right here. Not just 11 best season's (stupid way of calculating it)

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/per_career.html

1. Michael Jordan* 27.91
2. LeBron James 27.27
3. Shaquille O'Neal 26.43
4. David Robinson* 26.18
5. Wilt Chamberlain* 26.13
6. Dwyane Wade 25.60
7. Chris Paul 25.44
8. Bob Pettit* 25.35
9. Tim Duncan 24.77
10. Neil Johnston* 24.69

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
I think MJ was the greatest of all time but Wilt was the most dominant of all time.
Wilt played in an era with less teams and only a couple players that could come close to matching him physically and athletically. I'd say Shaq was more relatively dominant for a four or five year period, and I'd still put them both behind MJ in terms of dominance.

·
Will of Chilltown
3,722 Posts
Wilt played in an era with less teams and only a couple players that could come close to matching him physically and athletically. I'd say Shaq was more relatively dominant for a four or five year period, and I'd still put them both behind MJ in terms of dominance.
This.

Wilt would get beaten up during the 90's till now. He'd be something like Roy Hibbert.

·
Wiltside
20,390 Posts
^That's idiotic. Wilt was still athletic as hell. I'd think closer to Andrew Bynum when he first lost weight, before the injuries took hold, and he was still really athletic.

If you want to see the actual best it's right here. Not just 11 best season's (stupid way of calculating it)

1. Michael Jordan* 27.91
2. LeBron James 27.27
4. David Robinson* 26.18
6. Dwyane Wade 25.60
7. Chris Paul 25.44
8. Bob Pettit* 25.35
9. Tim Duncan 24.77
10. Neil Johnston* 24.69
Neil Johnston >>>>>>>>>>> Kobe Bryant

·
Look at your favorite team, now back to mine, mine
8,475 Posts
This.

Wilt would get beaten up during the 90's till now. He'd be something like Roy Hibbert.
Wilt was a freakish athlete, and wasn't one of those small C's, he was a strong dude. You're a idiot.

Edit: I'm sure I'm going to get warned for that, but in all honesty, does it matter anymore when it comes to this guy? It's like he wants us to call him an idiot.

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
Kevin Garnett is an all-time great player, but he belongs nowhere near the top 10 "most dominant" players. He was never a dominant player.

·
Wiltside
20,390 Posts
Wilt was a freakish athlete, and wasn't one of those small C's, he was a strong dude. You're a idiot.

Edit: I'm sure I'm going to get warned for that, but in all honesty, does it matter anymore when it comes to this guy? It's like he wants us to call him an idiot.
Mods should edit all of his posts to, simply, "derp."

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

1. Michael Jordan* 27.91
2. LeBron James 27.27
4. David Robinson* 26.18
6. Dwyane Wade 25.60
7. Chris Paul 25.44
8. Bob Pettit* 25.35
9. Tim Duncan 24.77
10. Neil Johnston* 24.69
No, using someone's entire career PER to compare is stupid. The stupid results speak for themselves.

·
Will of Chilltown
3,722 Posts

Hibbert is 7'2 and strong. Wilt was a "freakish athlete" in a non athletic league with literally no one else a 7 footer. Calling me an Idiot is pretty ironic considering what you have. Ill leave it at that. Immature childish personal attacks come with your personality I guess. I'm just stating facts.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
I dont think he does, I think he giggles when he types and imagines he's a funny little troll - but he doesnt seem to get that most of us just groan and roll our eyes when we see he's posted - because he's so 1 note we can only assume he's an idiot not because he continues to make ignorant idiotic posts but because he lacks the social awareness to realize that we dont care and only think less of him for doing it

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
No, using someone's entire career PER to compare is stupid. The stupid results speak for themselves.
So your rationale is more sound and thus LeBron is not in the top 10 (because he hasn't played that many seasons)? Please.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts