Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Wilt ( Unstoppable, taller and quicker than anyone he played with, incredible averages.)
2. Kareem( Unbelivable scorer incredibly durable played well into his 40s)
3.Shaq ( Powerful workhouse, may be #1 on this list when he's done, though he didn't have the same competion Kareem and Wilt Did)
4.Russell( Incredible leader, understood what the word team meant better than anyone)
5.George Mikan ( The creator of the Center position, really dominant.)
6.Hakeem(Best moves of all time)
7.Nate Thurmond( A really balanced center, Great O and D, really underrated)
8. David Robinson (A very hard worker, he loved/loves his job and is still pretty good at it
9. Patrick Ewing ( Great Player, unfortunate to never win anything)
10. Dave Cowens ( Ferocious player)

·
Registered
920 Posts
1. Russel - Stats didn't matter. He was the best defensive player ever. All he cared about was winning. Dominated Wilt.
2. Wilt - Only won 2 championships, couldn't ever get past Russel but had insane averages and scored a lot of points.
3. Kareem - The alltime leading scorer. Nuf said
4. Olajuwon - Great on both sides of the ball. Great scorer, rebounder, and defender.
5. Shaq - Dominant. The biggest center ever.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Instead of Ewing and Robinson, I put in Moses Malone and Robert Parish on that list.

·
A!
9,434 Posts
1. Wilt Chamberlain
2. Bill Russell
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
4. Hakeem Olajuwon
5. Shaquille O'Neal
6. Patrick Ewing
7. George Mikan
8. David Robinson
9. Nate Thurmond
10. Bill Walton

·
Registered
7 Posts
1. Russell
2. Wilt
3. Kareem
4. Shaq
5. Olajuwon
6. Robinson
7. Ewing
8. Mikan
9. Parish
10. Thurmond

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
russ
wilt
kareem
shaq
hakeem
moses
walton
robinson
ewing
cowens
thurmond
reed

mikan was from the pre-modern era and therefore tough to judge. in the context of his era he's up there in the top 5. walton is where he is based on how good he was, not on what he accomplished. i'd be ok with him not being on the list based on accomplishment. moses has to be on anyone's top 10, and i don't see him being below anyone else behind him on my list except maybe walton (on talent) or mikan.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Malakian</b>!
1. Russel - Stats didn't matter. He was the best defensive player ever. All he cared about was winning. Dominated Wilt.
2. Wilt - Only won 2 championships, couldn't ever get past Russel but had insane averages and scored a lot of points.
4. Olajuwon - Great on both sides of the ball. Great scorer, rebounder, and defender.
My exact list.

How can you people put Shaq over Hakeem. Hakeem is a great Defensive player and dominated an era which was dominated by quality big men. Shaq has no competition now. Shaq would have got schooled if he played when Dream when he was in his prime. Dream was one of the best Centers ever. Finally someone has him ranked where he should be on the all time great centers list.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
My question is why is Robinson rated so low on almost everyones list. Everyone puts him behind Hakeem!WHY? Ok Kareem, Wilt, Shaq, and Bill Russell but besides that almost no one else is better than the admiral in his prime. Look at all the conversations about duo's. Wilt had Oscar, Kareem had Magic, Hakeem had Barkley then Drexler, Shaq has Kobe, Robinson pretty much did it alone unless you call sleepy floyd a star!!! The admiral did all his work before Duncan showed up but finally got his ring in Duncans 2nd year.

1. Wilt
2.Shaq
3.Russell
4.Kareem
5.Robinson
6.Hakeem
7.Mikan
8.Ewing
9.Thurmond
10.Willis Reed

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
if you saw them head to head in the '95 playoffs (hakeem and robinson) you'd know why. it was one of the most lopsided matchups of superstars i've ever seen. robinson was the mvp that season, and hakeem abused him the whole series.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Originally posted by <b>w-h-i-t-e-b-o-y</b>!
Hakeem had Barkley then Drexler
Hakeem did not have Barekley or Drexler during their first championship. Hakeem completly dominated David when Hakeem was in his prime. There was no center that played when Hakeem was in his prime that Hakeem didnt dominate. David never won a ring by himself. The only reson he won a ring was because of Tim Duncan.

In the 95 playoff series Hakeem took David to school.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
OK head to head Shaq would ***edited*** anybody becuase of his size so does that mean that he's better NO! Does becuase Hakeem had a better series means he's better get real and look who Hakeem did have in the first ring time frame. Cassell even though he was young he was still good, Horry(clutch), Madmax who was good back then, Otis Thorpe , kenny the Jet, Mario Elie, and who did David have Avery Johnson, Sean Elliott, Rodman and superstar first round draft pick BILL CURLEY!!! The dream obviously had the better supporting cast.

Also during the season the Spurs went 5-1 against the Dream and his Rockets and lost the WCF 4-2 so overall that means Spurs 7- rockets 5.. Who ***edited*** who??

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
how the hell is russell over wilt?

Wilt put up huge numbers on russell w/ no problem. Wilt could do anything except do free throws at game time.

Wilt could shot FT very well in HS, but injured his knee so he couldn't get his old arc...

Anyway, Wilt could have destroyed the scoring record if he wanted too, but he retired early. At certain times, he lead the league in points, assist, rebounds. He avged 25 rebounds, and when he wanted to score early on in his career his numbers were insane... You could make an argument that he was greatest ever, although you can't make the same claim for any other center.

Only bad thing about Wilt is that he was made a villian by the press during his playing days because he dated "white women"... but wilt was an equal opportunity dater hehe ;) I won't talk to much about that, you can read his book a view from above...

1. Wilt

big gap

2.Shaq
3.Russell
4.Olajuwon
5.Kareem
6.Robinson
7.Ewing
8.Reed
9.Mikan
10.Parish

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Wilt scored and rebounded and blocked shots and read his stat sheet every night.

Russell rebounded, blocked shots, and didn't read his stat sheet - only the WIN column counted with him.

Wilt averaged 30 PPG in the season and ONLY 22.5 PPG in the playoffs. Wilt went <b>down in the 4 </b>of the 5 major categories against the tough competition of the playoffs. Russell went <b>UP in 4 </b>of the 5 categories during the tough playoff competition.

Russell stopped almost everybody but Wilt on those Wilt teams and that was why Russell won in the playoffs.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
1.Wilt
2.Shaq
3.Kareem
4.Russell
5.Olajuwon
6.Robinson
7.Ewing
8.Mikan
9.Reed
10.Parish

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
as great as wilt was, he won 2 titles, despite playing on great teams from 1966 to 1973. his second title came as more of a role player than superstar. a number of times he lost in the playoffs to lower seeded teams. certainly this speaks against him, despite his numbers.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Originally posted by <b>kflo</b>!
as great as wilt was, he won 2 titles, despite playing on great teams from 1966 to 1973. his second title came as more of a role player than superstar. a number of times he lost in the playoffs to lower seeded teams. certainly this speaks against him, despite his numbers.
In his second title run I think he averaged 20 rebounds and 14 points-that is one very good role player...and he could have had several more titles or at least chances at titles-if it wouldn't have been for a Celtics team loaded with future HOF's that he lost to many times in very close games. He had almost no help when he played with the Sixers/Warriors. Plus you have to factor in that he was physically beat up every game more than any other player.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
1. Wilt
2. Shaq
3. Kareem
4.Russell
5.George Mikan
6.Hakeem
7.Nate Thurmond
8. Bob McAdoo
9. Patrick Ewing
10. Dave Cowens

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
wilt's teams were arguably the leagues most talented from '66 to '73 and he won 2x. arguably more talented than russell's celts, yet russell's celts were able to win. no he wasn't surrounded by talent when he was putting up his astranomical numbers. when his teams got better, his production went down significantly, and his teams often still lost. wilt scored less in the playoffs than the regular season every season of his career. every one. his 2 titles, his playoff scoring averages were 21.7 and 14.7.

wilt's rebounding was a constant, and it was great. his offense, which was what made him the larger than life figure in the first place, wasn't reliable enough when it was needed the most.

wilt had the individual success. he had the team success. his shortcoming is that the 2 didn't coincide quite like it did for others. individual dominance leading to team success is the ultimate indicator of greatness, imo. this is lacking from wilt's resume.

then again, i still have wilt ranked #2 all-time, although it's close, and the top 4 imo are bunched pretty close. i think although wilt wouldn't have had the staggering numbers he had then if he played today, his individual dominance would translate into greater team success, as the game has shifted to more of an individually dominated game, and the talent more dispersed.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Malakian</b>!
I pretty much agree with you.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts