Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
51,478 Posts
No one played the game better than Brian Grant always signing a contract that had an opt out after year three and was one of the first big men to get overpaid for simply being competent.

·
do better
41,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's interesting are the players on here that still have a substantial contract left in them

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
I knew Jordan was making over $30 mil his last couple years in Chicago. I just never realized how little he made the rest of his career. Kind of shocking to see.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
I knew Jordan was making over $30 mil his last couple years in Chicago. I just never realized how little he made the rest of his career. Kind of shocking to see.
I think Reinsdorf and his group paid 16 million dollars for the Bulls a couple of years into Jordan's career. Those dollars might be worth more than 2 dollars in 2012, but the TV money wasn't there back then. No one is making nine figures over a career without a whole lot of TV money fueling it.

·
Come At Me Bro
6,946 Posts
It does kind of make you laugh at the loyalty guys like Dirk and TD are promoted as having.

Pretty easy to be loyal when you have received 200mil from your employees haha.
When players show loyalty to their teams and teams return that loyalty to the players, its a good thing. Don't hate.

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
So Deron would be right off this list if they were not including that contract he just signed, which puts him up at 17. Johnson is still owed like 70 too I think and that's included as well. Then Melo just signed his extension after the trade last year too. So a lot of the money on this list has not been paid out yet.

T-Mac and Vince have both been on really 'meager' deals for the past few years too. You should probably retire before you take a 90 % paycut IMO.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
I love scrolling down that list, seeing Johnson, and being like "You sneaky asshole. You know you were never worth that much."

****ing Atlanta.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
like 1m a year for awhile? the economies of scale changed radically there in the 90s - of course he did pretty well for himself in endorsements from what I hear

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
It does kind of make you laugh at the loyalty guys like Dirk and TD are promoted as having.

Pretty easy to be loyal when you have received 200mil from your employees haha.
compare Duncan and Kobe, 55m is not small cheese, even to these guys

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts
Jordan also passed up mega-paydays from the Wizards. He was putting asses in the seats even as an old man but donated much of his salary and played for the vet minimum, I think.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Jordan also passed up mega-paydays from the Wizards. He was putting asses in the seats even as an old man but donated much of his salary and played for the vet minimum, I think.
He was pretty solid that year. Made Rip look like a way better player too.

·
do better
41,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah I think he made like 2 mil annually

I hate that for Johnson though..good player, took what anybody here would take now he has that stigma about him

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Yeah I think he made like 2 mil annually

I hate that for Johnson though..good player, took what anybody here would take now he has that stigma about him
Juwan Howard lived with it his whole career.

I don't think anyone really blames Johnson. Its just that obviously no one views him as a "piece" to a contender when you factor in that abortion of a contract.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts