Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FWIW. College Sports Madness has started the rollout of their top 144 men's bb teams for the upcoming season.I' ll update it once a week or sooner if an A-10 team is mentioned. They add a team daily.
144-Grambling 143- Illinois 142-South Alabama 141-Wright State 140-NC Central 139- Grand Canyon 138-Temple 137-Stanford 136-Weber State 135-Wagner

·
Piker
8,532 Posts
So, VCU checks in at #128 , good for 8th in the A-10... Discuss.
Marcus Evans is out although healing quickly so maybe he will be back for conference play. VCU is not big which will hurt down low. One senior who will not get much playing time. Seems about right but in my opinion the league will be bunch together in the middle just like last season.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I want to say he's way off, but the write up actually seemed fair and objective. Not only is Evans's health very important, but VCU needs large steps forward from many people. Just as crucial, Vann and Crowfield need to play like they did (and better) than before their injuries. I'm hoping that their bad play was a result of the injuries never fully healing. Having those two play at the level they're capable of would be huge.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I want to say he's way off, but the write up actually seemed fair and objective. Not only is Evans's health very important, but VCU needs large steps forward from many people. Just as crucial, Vann and Crowfield need to play like they did (and better) than before their injuries. I'm hoping that their bad play was a result of the injuries never fully healing. Having those two play at the level they're capable of would be huge.
128th? Like JonBoy I'd like to say he's way off. Even if 75% of the P6 are better than VCU, I think one would be hard-pressed to find another 50+ programs better than VCU. Maybe it's my A10-colored goggles talking.

It's a very fair assessment considering VCU finished 2017-18 with an RPI of 136 (18-15, 9-9), lose Tillman and Williams, and Evans is questionable. Even if Even's were healthy, it would be fair. That said, my guess is they'll finish a bit higher than 128 this year. If they don't, how much patience will the VCU fans and admin have with Rhoades?

·
Piker
8,532 Posts
how much patience will the VCU fans and admin have with Rhoades?
Not sure about other fans but year three is when I expected the team to be solid. Three coaches in four years and the loss of players indicated a slump was on the horizon. I hate to see VCU lose so I hope they grind out some wins this year.

·
Registered
879 Posts
It's a very fair assessment considering VCU finished 2017-18 with an RPI of 136 (18-15, 9-9), lose Tillman and Williams, and Evans is questionable. Even if Even's were healthy, it would be fair. That said, my guess is they'll finish a bit higher than 128 this year. If they don't, how much patience will the VCU fans and admin have with Rhoades?
Yeah, I think it's pretty fair. There were a lot of holes, especially on the defensive end and I don't know how those are being addressed.

As for patience, I think AA is right. After year 3, if results are still bad and recruiting hasn't improved, then I think there will be a lot more vocal displeasure.

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
What we need to do is to teach your fan base to be as patient as our administration...
A trip to the Sweet 16 buys most A10 coaches--save John Giannini--quite a bit of time. One thing about Mooney that has flummoxed me is how he repeatedly allows himself to be burned by redshirting too many players. On multiple occasions, he has lost quality players to grad transfer. Sadly, most non-P5 schools have absolutely no competitive incentive to push players toward ambitious academic workloads.

Also, it has seemed as if he has filled the "bottom" of his rosters with blatantly non-A10 players. Is this related to the school's academic standards, or just his staff's questionable evaluations?

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
A trip to the Sweet 16 buys most A10 coaches--save John Giannini--quite a bit of time. One thing about Mooney that has flummoxed me is how he repeatedly allows himself to be burned by redshirting too many players. On multiple occasions, he has lost quality players to grad transfer. Sadly, most non-P5 schools have absolutely no competitive incentive to push players toward ambitious academic workloads.

Also, it has seemed as if he has filled the "bottom" of his rosters with blatantly non-A10 players. Is this related to the school's academic standards, or just his staff's questionable evaluations?
Many feel that after not landing his first few targets, that we suddenly have a recruit out of nowhere. One that no one in the basketball world has heard of before...

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
FWIW. College Sports Madness has started the rollout of their top 144 men's bb teams for the upcoming season.I' ll update it once a week or sooner if an A-10 team is mentioned. They add a team daily. If any teams on the list are on your schedule, you can go to the link posted by Paulxu on page 1 of the thread to view the team's preview.

144-Grambling 143- Illinois 142-South Alabama 141-Wright State 140-NC Central 139- Grand Canyon 138-Temple 137-Stanford 136-Weber State 135-Wagner 134-Hartford 133-East Tennessee State 132-Utah 131-Radford 130-Tulsa 129- Northern Iowa 128-VCU 127-UNLV 126-Troy 125-San Francisco 124-Kent State 123- Iowa State 122-Penn 121- UC Davis

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
FWIW. College Sports Madness has started the rollout of their top 144 men's bb teams for the upcoming season.I' ll update it once a week or sooner if an A-10 team is mentioned. They add a team daily. If any teams on the list are on your schedule, you can go to the link posted by Paulxu on page 1 of the thread to view the team's preview.

144-Grambling 143- Illinois 142-South Alabama 141-Wright State 140-NC Central 139- Grand Canyon 138-Temple 137-Stanford 136-Weber State 135-Wagner 134-Hartford 133-East Tennessee State 132-Utah 131-Radford 130-Tulsa 129- Northern Iowa 128-VCU 127-UNLV 126-Troy 125-San Francisco 124-Kent State 123- Iowa State 122-Penn 121- UC Davis 120- Texas San Antonio 119- Lehigh 118- Charleston 117-No. Kentucky 116- Georgia Southern 115-St. Johns 114-Minnesota 113- So. Carolina

1 - 20 of 258 Posts