Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

241 - 258 of 258 Posts

·
Piker
8,522 Posts
This prognosticator doesn’t think so. They might, they are a good team but I see the league being better this year and I believe other teams improved more than Davidson. It wouldn’t surprise me if VCU, UD, The Bonnie’s, Rhoady and even Richmond finish better than Davidson.

If the Flyer’s do not make the NCAA this season, Grant and his well tailored suits will be on the hot seat.
Well, when the A10 holds the Preseason activities at Barclays Andy Katz will most likely be hosting the event. Davidson is his pick to win the league. He tweeted that he spoke to Bob McKillop who told him that he has one of his best teams from top to bottom. Katz went with McKillop's assessment and thus has them as winning the league and getting the highest seed of any A10 team.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
This prognosticator doesn’t think so. They might, they are a good team but I see the league being better this year and I believe other teams improved more than Davidson. It wouldn’t surprise me if VCU, UD, The Bonnie’s, Rhoady and even Richmond finish better than Davidson.

If the Flyer’s do not make the NCAA this season, Grant and his well tailored suits will be on the hot seat.

I am not sleeping on Davidson. They added a good recruiting class to an already pretty good team where they didnt lose anybody of note. They have 2 1st team A10 players and IMO the best coach in the league. They scare the crap out of me.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
From a Dayton fan’s standpoint Davidson doesn’t scare the crap out of me. The Flyer’s have fared well against DC. I’m not suggesting that they will not be good but I think that they get a little more love from the media than the deserve. When was the last time that Davidson won a NCAA Tournament game without Stefan Curry?

I just believe that VCU and Dayton’s rosters are better from top to bottom.

I don’t see how Katz can not pick VCU #1 after they ran away with the league last year. I wouldn’t be surprised by anything that the media spews forth though.

·
Piker
8,522 Posts
From a Dayton fan’s standpoint Davidson doesn’t scare the crap out of me. The Flyer’s have fared well against DC.
Except for a couple of years ago when ninth-seeded Davidson upset top-seeded Dayton in the quarterfinals of the Atlantic 10 Tournament but I digress.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
McKillop is arguably the best coach in the A-10. He puts his players in a position to win. He does more with less. He manages to bring in players from across the pond with a lot of letters in their names who can hit a three coming out of the locker room. They'll be a tough opponent in and out of conference this season.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
So the bar of being good this year is how many NCAAT wins from the past? I dont get it. They are a good team and are well coached. To me that makes them a contender.
That’s not what I said. I said that Davidson gets a lot of excess love from the media that is unwarranted and in my opinion is because if Curry. McKillop’s career winning percentage is the same as Anthony Grant’s and he has as many seasons with mediocre winning percentages as good winning percentages.

Davidson is a good program with essentially the same team last year. VCU also has essentially the same team back and they owned the league in conference last year. I don’t see how DC can be picked ahead of VCU.

Dayton is 4 and 1 against Davidson in A10 regular season play and Grant is 2 and 0. The Flyer’s have the best roster on paper in the A10. UD has the 4 transfers and a healthy Matos coming back that have show they are as good as advertised, but I like our chances head to head with Davidson.

Bonaventure’s three freshman are going to be a year older and in theory better. I see Osun Osunniyi being a star in the A10. He is the difference maker in the middle and I don’t see DC having this type of post player. Toppin and Cunningham owned DC last year and Osunniyi can be the same type of player.

Rhode Island has the same situation two with Fats and Dowtin and then Langevine in the post. Plus Roady has more depth than DC.

It’s just one mans opinion. I being the contrarian and I’m not falling for the media fawning all over Davidson. You guys can EYOA.

If certain teams can avoid the landlines we’ll be a four bid conference this year with 7 to 8 teams in the top 100. We need to regain our rightful standing in the college basketball universe.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
That’s not what I said. I said that Davidson gets a lot of excess love from the media that is unwarranted and in my opinion is because if Curry. McKillop’s career winning percentage is the same as Anthony Grant’s and he has as many seasons with mediocre winning percentages as good winning percentages.

Davidson is a good program with essentially the same team last year. VCU also has essentially the same team back and they owned the league in conference last year. I don’t see how DC can be picked ahead of VCU.

Dayton is 4 and 1 against Davidson in A10 regular season play and Grant is 2 and 0. The Flyer’s have the best roster on paper in the A10. UD has the 4 transfers and a healthy Matos coming back that have show they are as good as advertised, but I like our chances head to head with Davidson.

Bonaventure’s three freshman are going to be a year older and in theory better. I see Osun Osunniyi being a star in the A10. He is the difference maker in the middle and I don’t see DC having this type of post player. Toppin and Cunningham owned DC last year and Osunniyi can be the same type of player.

Rhode Island has the same situation two with Fats and Dowtin and then Langevine in the post. Plus Roady has more depth than DC.

It’s just one mans opinion. I being the contrarian and I’m not falling for the media fawning all over Davidson. You guys can EYOA.

If certain teams can avoid the landlines we’ll be a four bid conference this year with 7 to 8 teams in the top 100. We need to regain our rightful standing in the college basketball universe.

Agree on the situation down low with Davidson but that is a feature, not a bug. They beat you by drilling 16 3's a game and getting wide open looks because they run a really great offense. Are you saying you would rather have Grant than McKillop? Winning % isnt the best way to measure a coach necessarily. I never said they should be picked ahead of VCU but to me they are the #2 . Dayton on paper might have a better roster but many of the players have never seen the floor together with the bright lights on. That takes time. Davidson might get some extra attention because of Curry but that is not their fault. It doesnt mean they arent good. I will take Davidson over Rhody every day of the week. I have already given my spiel about Rhody being overrated and Fats being as much as a detractor as a contributor.

The fun thing is we will get to see this all play out.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Agree on the situation down low with Davidson but that is a feature, not a bug. They beat you by drilling 16 3's a game and getting wide open looks because they run a really great offense. Are you saying you would rather have Grant than McKillop? Winning % isnt the best way to measure a coach necessarily. I never said they should be picked ahead of VCU but to me they are the #2 . Dayton on paper might have a better roster but many of the players have never seen the floor together with the bright lights on. That takes time. Davidson might get some extra attention because of Curry but that is not their fault. It doesnt mean they arent good. I will take Davidson over Rhody every day of the week. I have already given my spiel about Rhody being overrated and Fats being as much as a detractor as a contributor.

The fun thing is we will get to see this all play out.
I don’t disagree with what you’re saying. I’m not whining that the prognosticators picked DC to finish ahead of UD. Joel’s Top 144 from last year speaks for itself and it was clear that he / they did very little research.

Grant’s big challenge as you pointed out will be to knock the rust off of the transfers and to get them to play together, and they have to prove that they are worthy of the headlines. They do a lot of things together off the court and by all accounts the team chemistry is excellent. Ibi Watson played on teams that went to the NC game. He wasn’t a big factor but I’m interested in whether that experience helps him at Dayton.

Ask me at the end of the year whether I’d take Grant over McKillop. I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt. Last year the Flyer’s took some big steps forward, but Grant is going to be held to what Archie accomplished. He needs an at large resume this year.

241 - 258 of 258 Posts