Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Top 30 Breakout Players

28. KHYLE MARSHALL, 6-6, 215, F, JR., BUTLER
More was expected from Marshall as a sophomore, but he didn't quite deliver, averaging 9.6 points per contest. His work ethic has improved and without Chrishawn Hopkins, Marshall has no choice but to take a leap.

30. TRAVIS TAYLOR, 6-7, 220, PF, SR., XAVIER
I thought he'd make an impact last season for the Musketeers, but it didn't happen and Chris Mack used him as a reserve who didn't produce much at all (4.5 ppg, 3.7 rpg). Now Mack has no choice, with a lack of frontline guys, and Taylor should deliver. Remember, this is a guy who put up numbers in his time at Monmouth.

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Goodman is going to ride that Travis Taylor train to the last stop. His production will go up because his minutes will go up, but "breakout" would imply he would become one of the better players in the league. I don't see that. A lot of his "breakout" potential is dependent on how much Semaj Christon looks to pass on his dribble drives. If he's a scorer in the vein of Holloway and Lyons, Taylor won't get many chances. If Christon is a guy, like Dillard and Williams, who will look to draw defenders and dish, he could get near double figures per game. Taylor certainly is not a guy who will create his own points in the A10 like he did in the NEC.

Taylor strikes me as more of a Kavanaugh than a Josh Benson, despite the body type. He can finish what others start, but he won't bring a diverse offensive game out to 10 feet. I don't even think Taylor is the best breakout candidate on his own team. Dee Davis is.

Khyle Marshall shot 55% from the floor. He doesn't shoot threes. He averaged 10 and 4. Those are pretty solid numbers. I'm not sure there's much to break out from. He's not going to go up to 16 and 8 or anything. He will be facing bigger and better defenders, and his point guard will not be the same type of creator that Nored was. I think he'll get his looks within the system. He'll play a few more minutes, but with better opponents, I'd put him down for something near 10 and 4 again.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Goodman is going to ride that Travis Taylor train to the last stop. His production will go up because his minutes will go up, but "breakout" would imply he would become one of the better players in the league. I don't see that. A lot of his "breakout" potential is dependent on how much Semaj Christon looks to pass on his dribble drives. If he's a scorer in the vein of Holloway and Lyons, Taylor won't get many chances. If Christon is a guy, like Dillard and Williams, who will look to draw defenders and dish, he could get near double figures per game. Taylor certainly is not a guy who will create his own points in the A10 like he did in the NEC.

Taylor strikes me as more of a Kavanaugh than a Josh Benson, despite the body type. He can finish what others start, but he won't bring a diverse offensive game out to 10 feet. I don't even think Taylor is the best breakout candidate on his own team. Dee Davis is.
I agree with a lot of what you said (especially the fact that Goodman is just in too deep so he has to pick Taylor again this year to break out) and I definitely think Dee Davis is the biggest breakout candidate on the team but I've seen Semaj play a decent amount and he is definitely a "creator" on offense. He easily can take people off the dribble, force help and dish off. He has the ability to score as well but I definitely don't see him as the same type of scorer as a Lyons or Tu (that could easily change given the makeup of the team though).

I think we will see A LOT of pick and roll and drive and dish by both Dee and Semaj where they can use their ability to get to the hole to create for either Brad/JMart on the perimiter or someone like Trav or Jeff standing on a block. Apparently both did a very good job of this in the WVU "secret" scrimmage.

·
Banned
5,541 Posts
Top 30 Breakout Players

30. TRAVIS TAYLOR, 6-7, 220, PF, SR., XAVIER

I thought he'd make an impact last season for the Musketeers, but it didn't happen and Chris Mack used him as a reserve who didn't produce much at all (4.5 ppg, 3.7 rpg). Now Mack has no choice, with a lack of frontline guys, and Taylor should deliver. Remember, this is a guy who put up numbers in his time at Monmouth.
Best of luck to Travis Taylor on that, but I don't see it happening.

When a player transfers from a "lower" conference to a "higher" conference (such as the Atlantic 10), his stats usually take a nosedive as he faces higher-quality defenders. To wit:

6'-8", 220-lb. Travis Taylor Career Stats . . . 6'-8", 230-lb. Isaiah Philmore Career Stats

Code:
[b][color=blue]
Player            Year      Team      (W-L)   CL   POS  FG %   RPG    PPG[/color] 

Travis Taylor    2008-09   Monmouth   (8-23)  FR   PF   54.2   5.8   12.4

Travis Taylor    2009-10   Monmouth  (12-19)  SO   PF   54.2   7.6   17.8

Travis Taylor    2011-12   Xavier    (23-13)  JR   PF   44.9   3.7    4.5

Travis Taylor    2012-13   Xavier             SR 

Isaiah Philmore  2009-10   Towson    (10-21)  FR   PF   48.4   3.9    6.4

Isaiah Philmore  2010-11   Towson     (4-26)  SO   PF   49.1   7.0   15.3

Isaiah Philmore  2012-13   Xavier             JR                    [/b]
6'-8", 220-lb. Travis Taylor Game Log . . . 6'-8", 230-lb. Isaiah Philmore Game Log

I don't think that Jeff Goodman did his homework on this pick. A quick look at Travis Taylor's Game Log shows that in the last 7 games of the 2011-12 season, Travis Taylor scored a total of only 6 points, and had a total of only 10 rebounds.

That certainly does not suggest that a 'breakout' season is on the way.

Last season, Travis averaged only 14.7 minutes per game, mostly as a reserve player going up against opponents' reserve forwards.

This season (after the third regular-season game of the year), Travis will be competing against Isaiah Philmore for PF minutes, and possibly against opponents' starting forwards. It is too early to tell how the minutes will be divided between Travis and Isaiah, but if Isaiah is as good as advertised, Travis might end up averaging only 14.7 minutes per game as a reserve player this season as well.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
The biggest problem I saw with Taylor last season was his size. He's not real tall and filled out to be playing the 4 spot and no jump shot whatsoever to play the 3. Its almost like he's a poor man's Chris Wright. Both seemed to be without a true position on the floor.

I could see making a better case for Jeff Robinson over Taylor.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using VerticalSports.Com App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts