Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who have seen or know of all of the PG's in the American East -- how would you rank the Top 5 PG's in order?

Barea would probably be #1 no? After that what are the next 4 in order? Would Sorrentine be next? I have not got a chance to see him. Is he on Bareas level, is he clear cut #2?

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Sorrentine

I don't agree that Barea is tops although he is a great ball player and has the ability to change a game. He's a punk, too much of a hot head. The PG should be a leader which it appears JJ is not (at least 2 ejections this year).

Sorrentine gets it done. He can dish the rock. He is up near the top (3rd?) of the league in assists. He has the speed to blow by anyone. Has phenominal ball handling skills. Can beat any teams press without any help. Can play D. I know TJ's scoring has been down but UVM is performing as well as ever. TJ is still top ten in scoring (10th last I knew) in the AE and he has a player on his team that is 3rd in the nation in scoring taking away some of his shots. If TJ was on UNH he would be in the top 10 in the nation in scoring. If UVM needed TJ to score he would and does.

Fitzgerald has impressed me with his PG skills. He has the same problem as Sorrentine, too much talent around to really show skills in the stat collumn.

I havn't seen Dobson and Iati yet this year but based on stats they appear to belong in the top five. Stys is quality too but I have to pick the frosh over him.

1.Sorrentine
2.Barea
3.Fitzgerald
4.Dobson
5.Iati

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
nope

C'mon I sound smarter than he does. No, I'm not him but we do see eye to eye on one thing Barea's a punk.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I can't put Iati in the top 5 for the simple reason that we are talking about point guards and he has more turnovers than assists. He's a quality player no doubt, I just don't think he's there yet 1/2 into his freshman season. I look forward to seeing him for the first time Sunday. While Fitzgerald edges Stys in turnover to assist ratio, Stys has better overall stats and is without question the Hawk's leader. While Barea has the best numbers, he needs to mature:

1.Sorrentine
2.Barea
3.Dobson
4.Stys
5.Fitzgerald

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
What about Gogerty? I know nothing about him. Can anyone chime in with an opinion about him? I just looked at the numbers and his are pretty darn good.

·
Registered
226 Posts
South End.....I thought the question was "Who is the best point guard?"....not who is the most mature.....or the best student....or the best dressed..... When John McEnroe was on top of his game he was the best. He had an anger problem....but he was still the best. I'd like to see Barea back it off a notch but, that aside, to date he has by far the best point guard stats. Sorrentine of two years ago would be better.....but not this year.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Point Guard or Shooting Guard

I thought the question was "Who is the best point guard?"....NUGRAD
Barea has taken the 2nd most shots in the conference only because he missed a few games.

Barea 38%FGs, 33% 3PT FGs and 69% FTs
Barnes 36%FGs, 36% 3PT FGs and 75% FTs
Wilson 49%FGs, 42% 3PT FGs and 75% FTs
Robinson 49%FGs 45% FTs

Playing with 2 returning All Conference Players plus a Big East starter. All three players of these players were possible "POY" candidates in their own right before the season started.

I would think a true point guard could be a little more selective and get the ball to the players on his team who convert the best?

Point Guard or guard who wants his points?

He should have great stats he's on a team with the most talent.

On top of that his actions and attitude have cost his team already this season as they did last season.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Yes, I agree, McEnroe is a very good comparison (chuckle). There is one exception, McEnroe played a solitary sport where only he suffered from his tirades. Berea play's on a team. He's the Point Guard of that team. The PG's job is to feed players the ball, to be a leader on the court, to be the "floor general" and to put it in the bucket when necessary. I'm not saying he doesn't do those things because he kind of does, in his rather entertaining, own little way. Sorrentine does them better though. Without considering maturity or ability to put together a nice outfit, Sorrentine is a better PG.

Berea got himself tossed out of a virtually tied ballgame with 3 minutes left, against arguably the best team in the conference, on that teams home court, which is the toughest place to play in the conference. NU LOST. Sorrentine led his team to victory in that same game.

Let's compare some numbers since conference play started. After T.J. shook off a little bit of the rust after missing one year due to two broken wrists. ()indicate league rank

G:T.J. 7-0(1), JJ 5-3(4)

PPG:T.J. 17.0(3), JJ 23.0(2)

FG%:T.J. .451(5), JJ .436(6)

APG:T.J. 5.14(1), JJ 4.62(2)t w/Dobson

A/TO Ratio:T.J. 1.89(9), JJ 2.06(5)

Steals:T.J. 1.57(12)t, JJ 1.75(7)

Ejections in very important games:T.J. 0(1)t, JJ 1(120)t w/Adediran

·
Registered
226 Posts
Guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
Its too early in the conference schedule to focus only on conference games. If you look at all games Barea leads Sorrentine in all point guard categories. If Sorrentine bounces back to his form of two years ago he gets my vote, though.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NUGrad</b>!
South End.....I thought the question was "Who is the best point guard?"....not who is the most mature.....or the best student....or the best dressed..... When John McEnroe was on top of his game he was the best. He had an anger problem....but he was still the best. I'd like to see Barea back it off a notch but, that aside, to date he has by far the best point guard stats. Sorrentine of two years ago would be better.....but not this year.
I do think that without question, Barea is the most skilled of the point guards mentioned. But I don't think you can deny that the point guard position requires leadership skills and I think this is the only area Barea is lacking - and for the point guard position, its a big area IMO. Lets not forget he is still only into his sophomore year. I don't agree with the anti-Barea sentiment we see on this board . Don't think thats where I was heading.

I can't comment on his sartorial skills as I have never seen him off the court.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
revisited

So after about 12 games I just thought I would resurface this thread about the Best PG’s in the AE.

Conference stats:

TJ Sorrentine 16.1ppg 5.0apg .450FG% .767FT% 1.53assist/TO
JJ Barea 24.0ppg 5.2apg .423FG% .806FT% 2.21assist/TO

For those who put Sorrentine above Barea, I was just curious as to why? I am not neccesarily disagreeing wholeheartedly or anything.

I know TJ is as of now the better leader, distributor, and more of a PURE PG. But is he really better than Barea overall and talent wise?

Perhaps Sorrentine is just shaking off the rust from a year ago? I never saw him play prior to last night against NU. He looked very solid overall, better than the box score showed. But I am not sure how much better or if he is better than Barea at all?

Would you guys who ranked him #1 still think TJ is better than Barea?

Also, how come TJ did so poorly against the URI and UCLA's? I figured he would have put up a better showing. Barea seemed to play well against teams like Florida and West V. Is he the better talent than TJ? Perhaps Barea has less talent in terms of teamattes than Sorrentine no?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Let's do it, I'll argue this one until I'm blue, I mean, green and gold in the face.

T.J. Sorrentine PG 5-11 185
Pawtucket RI, St. Raphael's Academy

03'-04' UVM Tri Captain
03'-04' Preseason All Conference
01'-02' Kevin Roberson America East Player of the Year
01'-02' AP All-American (Honorable Mention)
01'-02' All-America East, first team
01'-02' NABC All-District I (New England), first team
01'-02' USBWA All-Region (New England, PA, WV), first team
01'-02' America East Academic Honor Roll (smarts)
00'-01' America East Rookie of the Year

Yr G fg% 3fg% ft% rbave A TO S Min Pts Ave.
00'-01' 29 37.5 32.7 81.6 2.9 159 92 45 35.8 428 14.8 ROY
01'-02' 29 39.1 39.3 83.8 2.9 116 94 51 37.1 546 18.8 POY
02'-03' (redshirt 2 broken wrists)
03'-04' 20 36.3 32.0 81.2 2.3 88 64 27 35.7 277 13.9

YR Record AE
00'-01' 12-17 7-11
01'-02' 21-8 13-3 A-East reg season champ
03'-04' 15-5 11-0
Tot. 48-30 .615 31-14 .689

Jose Juan Berea PG 6-0:no: 173
Mayaguez Puerto Rico, Miami Christian School

03-04' Preseason All-Conference
02-03' All-America East, third team

Yr G fg% 3fg% ft% rbave A TO S Min Pts Ave.
02'-03' 28 40.7 31.6 78.5 3.0 109 79 44 32.2 477 17.0
03-04' 19 34.2 35.1 71.9 3.4 108 54 32 34.2 399 21.0

YR Record AE
02'-03' 16-15 8-8
03'-04' 14-9 8-4
Tot. 30-24 .556 16-12 .571

Stats are very comparable especially if you go year by year. When it comes to individual accomplishments and team accomplishments there isn't much of a comparison but JJB hasn't played as many games. It was a very good and very true point that T.J. doesn't play good in most big games. It is also a very good and very true point that JJB is immature and sometimes costs his teams chances to win games with his antics.

There are many reasons why T.J.'s numbers aren't as strong I expect them to be or even Nikos expects them to be this year. One reason could be the wrists. Nothing will mess with a shooter more then screwing with his wrists. It appears as though the wrists are much better then they were at the beginning of the year. Another reason could be rust after playing very little basketball last year. Which also appears to be improving. Another reason could be the surrounding team is just absorbing a lot of statistics that could otherwise be T.J.'s. The starting 2 guard, Hehn, was last years point. The sixth man, Jensen, was the starting point for two years at Lehigh. Both of those guys handle the rock a lot. The starting power forward, Coppenrath, is third in the nation in scoring. 4 players on UVM's bench, Jensen, Goia, Sullivan, Hanson, shoot great from beyond the arc. T.J's numbers this year aren't horrible they are just a little down and rising just about every game.

When T.J. is at the top of game, which it appears he is getting close to, he is better then Barea at the top of his game in my opinion. On January 17th 02' T.J. had his best offensive game 45 pts, 13-20FG, 11-16 from 3-pt land, against Jean Bain and Aaron Davis of Northeastern. If you want to see T.J. at his best watch that game tape, I saw it live. On 11/30/00 T.J. dished the ball for 15 assists against Albany. I also recommend that tape. On two occasions T.J had 9 rebounds in a game. JJB has a career high of 38pts, close but not 45. A career high of 10 assists, not that close to 15. And a career high of 8 rebounds twice, not 9 rebounds twice. There are arguments the other way but in my opinion T.J. is the best point guard in the America East Conference because of his leadership, intangibles, accolades, talent, ability, intelligence, wisdom, speed, quick release, heart toughness, drive, determination, vision, confidence, performance on and off the court and his ability to help his team perform at their optimum level.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am not saying Barea is better overall right now neccesarily as a PG.

But I am just wondering why TJ is so rusty -- but like you alluded to, his wrists may be the reason.

I never seen TJ play prior to last Sunday, but I would think by what I saw the other day against NU, that he could hang with most PGs in the nation, considering he also has a legit big man with him.

He has a lot of nice skills for a PG. He did not seem to have too many weaknesses for a PG. I don't think he looked as offensively gifted as Barea on that night, but he did not have to be. He struck me as a level headed PG, who can score, and run an offense very well. He and Coppenwrath are a hell of a combo in the AE.

I would just like to see TJ's best versus Barea's best, cause that would be a hell of a matchup. Heck. Imagine them as a backcourt themselves? Barea as the 2G of course. That would be dynamite.

Just wondering though, how did TJ play versus big teams in years where he was healthy? And was he recruited by any other big name schools as a Freshman?

I hope to see Vermont and NU play again. I liked the PG matchup and I liked how these two teams matched up.

I still think NU seems a little out of control out there. If Barnes would find his rythm again offensively I think NU could beat Vermont even on their good day.

But to me, Vermont looks more balanced and role defined. Everyone on the team has a role it seems. Hehn is the 'gargabe guy' so to speak, who does a little bit of everything. Coppenwrath dominates underneath, Sorrentine is the floor general who makes solid decisions and big shots, Jensen stretches the D with his shooting and brings a solid presense off the bench etc.......

NU seems lost at times, although I think they are a little more talented overall....

All in all, I hope to see another Vermont vs NU game.

Also, whats with TJ's TO's drunkenidiot -- to me he seemed like a level headed player, what was with the TOs early in the season? Was he real rusty then? To me he seemed like a great ballhandler, I don't understand why his stats are so poor?

Top 3 PG's seem to be

1)Barea
2)Sorrentine (for now, altough is a more pure PG)
3)Carr

Injuries affect the rankings for now, but those are the best 3 I have seen IMO thus far. Iati and Stys also looked solid as well overall.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
TJ vs JJB - can't be compared

It's like comparing apples and oranges.

Sorrentine is your PG, he has learned to play to Vermonts strengths and that's Coppenrath and overall team play. TJ and Coppenrath are surrounded by an extensive group of great role players like David Hehn etal.

Barea is a phenominal offensive player who wants to lead his team by outscoring the opposition. He is surrounded by other stars who are left out in the cold sometimes as Barea does his thing.
Wilson, Robinson are returning All Conference players and Barnes was a All Tourney selection in the Big East. In my view Wilson, Robinson and Barnes have suffered watching Barea do his thing - as great as he does it. NU has the best by far Individual talent in the AE and are in third place. They are more than capable of beating anyone they play but have underachieved this season, so far.

I am sure BU and/or VT don't relish the fact that they may have to play NU to get their pass to the NCAAs.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.