Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to determine why Dayton would be asked to join C 7 and leave A 10.
Fan base is strong
Facilities are excellent
Recent history is competitive

Seem to fall short on reasons. 4. &. 5. Any help?

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Trying to determine why Dayton would be asked to join C 7 and leave A 10.
Fan base is strong
Facilities are excellent
Recent history is competitive

Seem to fall short on reasons. 4. &. 5. Any help?
There are no 4 and 5. If those three reasons aren't good enough, Dayton just isn't getting in.

There are other reasons, but no one actually cares about them.

1. Overall strength of athletic programs (women's basketball, volleyball, soccer). It's true, but it would be shocking if it were a factor.

2. Historic rivalries with DePaul and Marquette. They exist, but the feeling I get is that DePaul and Marquette would just as soon pretend they didn't.

Dayton also seems to have quite a few advocates in the national media, resulting in disproportionate coverage on the rare occasion we're successful, but that doesn't seem like a realistic factor either.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Reason #4 - Every conference has/needs "a Fordham"....

·
Registered
57 Posts
First, I think Dayton would be a great addition to any conference, the reasons as stated do not need to be mentioned. Having several friends who have gone to school there, they most be doing something right, always a nice crowd at the Rose Hill Gym.

As for the comment about Fordham, and although the state of the program is discouraging and I have urged for a conference change; few schools in the current A10 can match our combination of academic and athletic traditions.

In many ways if we get our act together (facilities and leadership wise), being in in NYC would make us a very desirable destination for the talented athletes who are attending high school in our own backyard.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Face it. If Providence and Seton Hall and DePaul think they are big time and have a huge following, they are nuts. Dayton is their equal, if not superior.

So from where I sit, Dayton should/will get an invitation, depending on how many schools wind up in the new conference.
Clearly Xavier and Butler and St. Louis are more desirable, but 10 may or may not be the magic number.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Face it. If Providence and Seton Hall and DePaul think they are big time and have a huge following, they are nuts. Dayton is their equal, if not superior.

So from where I sit, Dayton should/will get an invitation, depending on how many schools wind up in the new conference.
Clearly Xavier and Butler and St. Louis are more desirable, but 10 may or may not be the magic number.
Outside of being Catholic, SLU isn't very desirable.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Outside of being Catholic, SLU isn't very desirable.
If you watched them dismantle Butler last night, I'm not sure you should have come to that conclusion.

They destroyed Butler.

They went overcapacity in their facility. The place was electric. And we're talking about the St. Louis marketplace here.

The only thing I questioned about last night was the storming-the-court thing, but they were pumped, they won, and they wanted to celebrate.

·
Registered
950 Posts
The SLU TV market is very desirable.
More people watch Dayton basketball on tv vs St louis.

I can't see a single advantage St Louis has over Dayton.
Not a single one.
We've won more games.
We travel much better.
We attract more fans.
We play in the post season more often...
We have more NCAA invites during the last ten seasons.
ETC
ETC

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
That's not what decides TV contracts though. The amount of TV sets you reach is far more important to revenue than the number of people who watch. A larger TV market means more TV sets get included in the deal, meaning more revenue.

·
Registered
950 Posts
If you watched them dismantle Butler last night, I'm not sure you should have come to that conclusion.

They destroyed Butler.

They went overcapacity in their facility. The place was electric. And we're talking about the St. Louis marketplace here.

The only thing I questioned about last night was the storming-the-court thing, but they were pumped, they won, and they wanted to celebrate.
So based on ONE game--thats how you think things should be decided?
Yeah--right.

I understand that not many here respect Dayton Basketball--I get that.
We have our problems.

I too doubt that Dayton is included.
I just don't understand why that makes so many here happy?

I can understand hating on Kentucky or Duke,,but Dayton?

Hell we'll underdogs.
We're the little guy that never stops trying.
We're loyal to the point of stupidity.
We get knocked down yet we still think things are going to get better.

That you hate?????

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
So based on ONE game--thats how you think things should be decided?
Yeah--right.

I understand that not many here respect Dayton Basketball--I get that.
We have our problems.

I too doubt that Dayton is included.
I just don't understand why that makes so many here happy?

I can understand hating on Kentucky or Duke,,but Dayton?

Hell we'll underdogs.
We're the little guy that never stops trying.
We're loyal to the point of stupidity.
We get knocked down yet we still think things are going to get better.

That you hate?????
That's a fair question, based on how I responded, but you presume too much.

We both know that SLU is fully capable of putting 10k+ in the seats when they get it going. They did that under Spoon in an NBA arena and they're beginning to demonstrate it again in the C. They were at overcapacity at 10.6k last night. My response was based on knowing they have demonstrated potential to fill that beautiful place and make for an electric game environment.

You'll respond that UD fills its place whether your good or not, which is good for UD, and that it's more than 10k+. I get that, but Dayton - the city - is no match for St. Louis, especially given the different market that St. Louis provides.

Beyond all that, I think Dayton already is in the mix for the C7, because I believe, for TV content purposes, the conference will expand to 12 teams. Dayton has to hope for one thing: that the vision isn't sweeping; that they're not setting this thing up to draw in Gonzaga, and that Gonzaga would do it. IF the C7 go "long" then you're probably in trouble. IF the C7 stays "geographically sane" then I imagine that Creighton ends up as the western most outpost, but with UD included.

Who knows when the next round of news will break.

·
Registered
582 Posts
OK, I'll bite.

Do you have a citation for "More people watch Dayton basketball on TV than SLU basketball"?

Both schools have earned the same number of NCAA credits for the conference in the past 5 seasons.

Who cares how many fans they draw to the arena? Do they share this money with the rest of the conference, or keep it all themselves?

Do you know why the Big Ten invited Maryland and Rutgers, and why they're rumored to be inviting Virginia next? Or why the SEC invited Mizzou and Texas A&M? It has very little to do with the success of their football and basketball programs.

The TV networks have a huge say in who gets invited, and I'm pretty sure they would rather have the St. Louis market than the Dayton market.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts

Not a single one.
We've won more games.
We travel much better.
We attract more fans.
ETC
ETC
Didn't you guys win the national championship... like before almost everyone here was born as well? That's gotta mean somehting - right :cheers:?

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts

Not a single one.
We've won more games.
We travel much better.
We attract more fans.
ETC
ETC
No, more people in Dayton watch basketball vs St. Louis. When most of your games are on the local television station the only people watching the game is people from Dayton.

Dayton people watch a lot of basketball. No one will deny that. However, since Dayton typically isn't on the national channels that means they are just watching basketball in general. They don't even care if it is their team they are watching.

I think Dayton definitely gets in if the number is 12, but if the number is 10, I believe Fox and the C7 will find the St. Louis market more desireable because they know people in Dayton will watch the games whether they are playing or not.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
While I agree that TV market will be a consideration on who the C7 ultimately tap for inclusion in their new conference I think it's a moot point as far as St Louis is concerned. The Billikans are # 1 becaus of their location, history, facilities, history, academics did I mention history.

I'm assu,ing the C7 has oeyes on two or three A 10 programs. I assume the list includes Dayton, Xavier,VCU And St L.

·
Registered
59 Posts
4. Catholic identity
5. To gain traction towards their own "CAA" type brand of double-A football, only with TV leverage and a higher travel budget.
6. Because Xavier and Dayton deserve a home and home, and whichever conference attracts Dayton and Xavier will be the better conference. Right now it's the A10, but without this bloc, I would have to say the new big least has cred.

The C7 conference should poach Dayton+Xavier, and/or Richmond (and Spiders have lacrosse, too!). Well, "instead", not "too."

1 - 20 of 30 Posts