Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Administrator
67,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) 76ers - Ben Simmons

This team has basically 5 assets that have any value whatsoever right now. I would rank them like this: 1) This pick, 2) Joel Embiid, 3) Jahlil Okafor, 4) Nerlens Noel, 5) Dario Saric. Regardless of who they take first overall, their top 5 assets all play 2 positions. That's a major problem. If they take Ingram, they get a little more polish and much better shooting. If they take Simmons, they get the giant upside and immediate playmaking. I think they opt for Simmons just because a team this deep in the doldrums doesn't need to be passing up any upside right now.

2) Lakers - Brandon Ingram

Easy and obvious pick. I'd say their asset rank right now looks something like this: 1) D'Angelo Russell, 2) This pick, 3) Julius Randle, 4) Larry Nance Jr (distant 4th), 5) Lou Williams' trade value (if he even has any). Ingram fits fairly nicely with their other talent, but they desperately need someone that can play a little defense on that roster.

3) Celtics - Jamal Murray

Asset rank for this team is a bit trickier because many of them have very similar value: 1) Avery Bradley, 2) Isaiah Thomas, 3) This pick, 4) 2017 Brooklyn pick swap, 5) 2018 Brooklyn pick unprotected, 6) Jae Crowder, 7) Marcus Smart, 8) Jared Sullinger, 9) Kelly Olynyk, 10) Tyler Zeller, 11) 16th pick this year, 12) James Young, 13) Terry Rozier, 14) 23rd pick this year. It's something like that, I think. I'm really not sure what all of that adds up to, but I think Murray (or Kris Dunn, really) could give them an adequate replacement for all of Evan Turner's minutes as a rookie and possibly more as he develops. Otherwise, I think they'll be looking to move this pick.

4) Suns - Dragan Bender

This unfortunate asset ranks goes something like this: 1) Eric Bledsoe, 2) Devin Booker, 3) This pick, 4) Alex Len, 5) Brandon Knight, 6) 13th pick this year, 7) TJ Warren, 8) 28th pick this year. This is a team that could really use a stretch 4. They also won't be ready to compete any time soon. That adds up to Dragan Bender as far as I'm concerned. He's one of the couple of players in this draft that will be younger on draft night than Devin Booker is right now.

5) Wolves - Buddy Hield

This is the most likely pick to get traded in the entire lottery. They are ready to win now with this asset rank: 1) Towns, 2) Wiggins, 3) LaVine, 4) This pick, 5) Rubio, 6) Gorgui Dieng, 7) Nemanja Bjelica, 8) Shabazz Muhammad, 9) Pekovic trade value, 10) Tyus Jones. This team needs a good veteran leader in the worst way. They need to fill those roles that guys like Al Jefferson, Courtney Lee, and Spencer Hawes were playing on the Hornets this season. Alternatively, they could package up this pick with LaVine and get a real veteran asset. If they do keep the pick, I think they just go with Hield's offensive upside and try to move LaVine to the bench eventually.

6) Pelicans - Kris Dunn

Asset rank is a rough one: 1) Anthony Davis, 2) This pick, 3) Tyreke Evans' trade value, 4) Jrue Holiday's trade value, 5) Quincy Pondexter's trade value,. That's about it. They really only have one core player on the entire roster. They could pretty much take a player at any position. Dunn would just be the best player left on the board at this point.

·
Administrator
67,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Chad Ford's newest consensus mock actually has Marquese Chriss going to the Suns at 4. I never considered him going in the top 5, but I guess scouts see the faint outlines of the Zinger in him. He can protect the rim (possibly) and shoot with range (probably possibly), so I guess that makes sense... but this still feels a little high.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts