Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Where will Keon Clark end up next season?

• Dallas

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Sacramento

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • Miami

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New York

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Chicago

Votes: 1 5.9%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know what, fellas? I've been saying for a couple of weeks now that Keon Clark will eventually sign with the Magic. No, he won't! What was I thinking? Orlando has already used a chunk of its mid-level exception on Jacque Vaughn and Olumide Oyediji--so the Magic are OUT OF THE KEON CLARK PICTURE!

Here are the top five teams that still have a shot at Keon. Keon is, of course, the top free agent out there right now. Rashard Lewis WILL eventually re-sign with Seattle, Bonzi Wells WILL eventually re-sign with Portland (whether those dudes get shipped off somewhere else immediately thereafter is another story). Keon Clark is the TOP free agent out there right now. And he CAN make an impact--he'll never be a star, he may not even start, but he IS an IMPACT PLAYER!

Here's the list, counting down from #5 (least likely to nab Clark) to #1 (most likely):

#5 Chicago. Who knows what the hell Jerry Krause is thinking up in Chicago? He STILL hasn't spent a PENNY of his mid-level exception. And he REALLY needs a veteran inside player. Is Keon the kind of guy he's looking for? Maybe. But I gotta think he'll go after somebody a little more reliable (and CHEAPER)--either Rodney Rogers or Donyell Marshall would be a better fit up in Chicago. Krause COULD trade Jamal Crawford to the Wiz for Popeye Jones in a sign-and-trade AND sign either Rogers or Marshall. In any event, I wouldn't count the Bulls out of the Keon Clark hunt, but right now, Krause doesn't seem interested in Clark.

#4 New York. I'm getting the feeling that Frank Layden has something else up his sleeve to address the team's glaring hole at center--a trade with Memphis (Lorenzen Wright, Jason Williams, and Stromile Swift for Kurt Thomas, Charlie Ward, and Travis Knight). That trade would ALSO give the Knicks a point guard (Jason Williams) and some additional beef up front (Stromile Swift). Layden could THEN use part or all of his mid-level exception to add a scorer/shooter off the bench--Milwaukee has serious payroll problems right now, they probably wouldn't match an offer for Michael Redd. PLUS, why would Keon Clark want to play for the Knicks? That team is a MESS, and he'll never stop hearing it from the New York press. He could do better.

#3 Miami. Pat Riley hasn't touched HIS mid-level exception, either. Keep in mind that Keon would get plenty of minutes down in Miami AND that the state of Florida has a really low income tax rate. But does Keon want to play for Riles? I don't know, would you? Keep Miami in mind, though, in case Keon doesn't land with one of the top two choices, which are...

#2 Sacramento. Not the #1 choice? WHAT? The thing is, I'm sure that the Maloofs can't decide whether or not Keon is the missing piece of the championship puzzle or if all the Kings were missing last season was a healthy Peja Stojakovic. I vote for the latter. PLUS, the Kings are already in luxury tax territory BEFORE they re-sign Mike Bibby next summer. And who knows how much he's going to cost Sacramento? Keon would be a great fit in Sacramento, but he would be an even GREATER fit somewhere else...

#1 DALLAS. That's right, the Mavs! Why not? Mark Cuban hasn't used HIS mid-level exception, either. And the ONLY reason he hasn't been courting Keon is because he's been too busy courting Rashard Lewis. As soon as he realizes that Rashard Lewis AIN'T gonna settle for the mid-level exception--that Lewis has been USING Cuban as leverage in the contract negotiations with Seattle (it hasn't worked, the Sonics have called his bluff)--Cuban will set his sights on Keon. And GOOD LORD could the Mavs use Keon Clark, huh? He'd play BIGTIME MINUTES (24 minutes/game) in Dallas, who is ALSO a contender for the NBA title next year. We've been talking about how Keon might be the missing piece of the puzzle for Sacramento--isn't he even MORE important for a team that needs his interior defense so DESPERATELY like Dallas? Keep in mind that NOBODY puts on a better sell job than Mark Cuban--as soon as he gets his hands on Keon, as soon as he gives his tour of the Mavs' facilities (the best in the league), Keon will be a Mav. YOU WATCH!

That's right, I'm calling it! I haven't read A WORD about Keon going to Dallas--and I don't have to! Keon Clark WILL BE A MAV! You heard it here first!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
You make a compelling case. :D

Honestly, I never even thought of Clark going to the Mavericks because I thought Cuban was too busy with Lewis. But Clark would really do well in Dallas I think. If that would happen, they would look like...

PG: Nash
SG: Finley
SF: Nowitzki
PF: Clark
C: LaFrentz

Assuming he wouldn't play center over LaFrentz because of the big contract he just signed. Hmmm...:uhoh: :laugh:

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's what the Mavs MIGHT look like next year...

Let's say that the following three-way goes down between New York, Dallas, and Memphis. I don't think it's such a reach--most three-ways posted around here are totally retarded, but this one could totally happen, it would make all three teams totally happy. Here it is:

KNICKS GET: Jason Williams, Lorenzen Wright, Stromile Swift, Shawn Bradley, Tariq Abdul-Wahad, and Adrian Griffin

GRIZZLIES GET: Nick Van Exel, Charlie Ward, and Travis Knight

MAVS GET: Kurt Thomas, Michael Dickerson, Howard Eisley, Shandon Anderson

KNICKS RATIONALE. The Knicks aren't afraid of taking on payroll, and the Grizz are just GIVING their overpaid guys away for contracts that end A.S.A.P. This trade not only gives Frank Layden a PG (and one who will put people in the seats in New York) AND a C (Wright) AND a big body with some upside (Swift, the #2 overall pick in the draft just two years ago) AND The Greatest 7'6" Mormon Center Ever (Bradley) BUT Layden gets rid of four guys who have brought him nothing but grief in the national (and local) media for YEARS (Eisley, Anderson, Ward, and Knight)! The Knicks can THEN use part or all of their mid-level exception on an off-the bench shooter/scorer (preferably Ricky Davis, but Michael Redd is a more realistic goal, the Bucks won't match, they are having major payroll problems right now). Here is what the Knicks would look like next year:

Starting lineup

PG Jason Williams (32 minutes/game)
SG Allan Houston (32 minutes/game)
SF Latrell Sprewell (32 minutes/game)
PF Antonio McDyess (32 minutes/game)
C Lorenzen Wright (32 minutes/game)

Key reserves: Stromile Swift (24 minutes/game), Michael Redd (24 minutes/game), Frank Williams (16 minutes/game), Michael Doleac (8 minutes/game), Shawn Bradley (8 minutes/game)

End of the bench (no PT): Tariq Abdul-Wahad, Adrian Griffin

GRIZZ RATIONALE. Jerry West wants to DUMP PAYROLL! Period! The above trade would allow him to clear away EVERYBODY except Pau Gasol, Shane Battier, Drew Gooden, Earl Watson, and possibly Gordon Giricek by the end of the 2003-04 season. GREAT! The Grizz would SUCK in the meantime, but hey, they ALREADY SUCK! Here's what they'd look like next year:

Starting lineup

PG Nick Van Exel (32 minutes/game)
SG Wesley Person (32 minutes/game)
SF Shane Battier (36 minutes/game)
PF Pau Gasol (36 minutes/game)
C Tony Massenburg (12 minutes/game)

Key reserves: Drew Gooden (32 minutes/game), Earl Watson (16 minutes/game), Gordon Giricek (12 minutes/game), Charlie Ward (8 minutes/game), Brevin Knight (8 minutes/game), Travis Knight (8 minutes/game), Cezary Trybanski (8 minutes/game)

Stashed on the IR (or cut): Robert Archibald, Chris Owens

MAVS RATIONALE. Kurt Thomas would be a nice addition for this team (as we all know by now, we've talked about it enough!), Dickerson would give the team instant offense off the bench, and Howard Eisley, believe it or not, would be this team's backup point guard. Shandon Anderson probably wouldn't play unless the team had some injury problems. And what are the Mavs losing here? Nick Van Exel? They need to get rid of that guy YESTERDAY! And, needless to say, neither Shawn Bradley nor Tariq Abdul-Wahad will be missed in Dallas. The Mavs could THEN give the full mid-level exception to KEON CLARK, and they'd be in business. Here's what the Mavs would look like next year, they'd be a lot better, and they were ALREADY pretty damn GOOD! Here they are:

Starting lineup

PG Steve Nash (36 minutes/game)
SG Michael Finley (36 minutes/game)
SF Dirk Nowitzki (40 minutes/game)
PF Kurt Thomas (28 minutes/game)
C Raef LaFrentz (32 minutes/game)

Key reserves: Keon Clark (24 minutes/game), Michael Dickerson (20 minutes/game), Eduardo Najera (12 minutes/game), Howard Eisley (12 minutes/game)

End of the bench (no PT): Shandon Anderson, Evan Eschmeyer, Avery Johnson (Wang Zhi Zhi wouldn't be re-signed)

What do you fellers think?

ANYWAY, I CAN'T BELIEVE that everybody STILL thinks that the Kings are going to get Keon! He's gonna be a Mav! YOU WATCH!

·
Registered
225 Posts
You make a good case, Roby. With the Mavs, Clark gets big minutes AND a chance to win a championship. I still don't understand why the Mavs are going after Lewis.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Actually....

He signed with the Kings, not the Mavs

·
Registered
450 Posts
Re: Actually....

Originally posted by <b>Thrilla</b>!
yah, it says so in the article you posted up.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dude!

Originally posted by <b>Thrilla</b>!
It was supposed to be a JOKE. I know he signed with the Kings. Good for Sacramento. Their payroll is ballooning in a hurry, though. They're going for broke--and they SHOULD.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts