Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spin-off of the NBA version and pathetic list from NFL Network.

With the downtime and season not too far off, thought it might be interesting to see forum's ranking of top players heading into next yr and what discussion comes from it. Might also be harder to do. I'm not sure how far I'll go with it. But I will pull the plug if it don't go over so well. Vote realistically.

Votes for #18
Ray Rice 4
Troy Polamalu 3
Eli Manning 2
Joe Thomas 2
Andre Johnson 1
Adrian Peterson 1
Clay Matthews 1

Top Players in NFL for 2012
#1. QB Aaron Rodgers (Packers)
#2. QB Tom Brady (Patriots)
#3. QB Drew Brees (Saints)
#4. WR Calvin Johnson (Lions)
#5. ILB Patrick Willis (49ers)
#6. CB Darrelle Revis (Jets)
#7. DL Haloti Ngata (Ravens)
#8. RB Arian Foster (Texans)
#9. DL Justin Smith (49ers)
#10 OLB/DE DeMarcus Ware (Cowboys)
#11 WR Larry Fitzgerald (Cardinals)
#12. TE Rob Gronkowski (Patriots)
#13. DE Jared Allen (Vikings)
#14. QB Peyton Manning (Broncos)
#15. DE Julius Peppers (Bears)
#16. DE Jason Pierre-Paul (Giants)
#17. RB LeSean McCoy (Eagles)
#18. RB Ray Rice (Ravens)

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Top Players in NFL for 2012 - #19

I'll go Andre Johnson (was torn between he and Clay). Something tells me, we'll think we should've voted him higher.

Still won't vote Polamalu here. Way too early. Not convinced he's the same or won't get hurt at some point.

·
Registered
17,279 Posts

Still think it's Clay. Know it's a homer pick, but at least it's a lot more justifiable than ****ing Polamalu.

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts

Troy Polamalu. You're crazy if you think he doesn't still have it. He's certainly better than a LT who has "anchored" terrible teams with terrible offenses for his entire career. I know Joe Thomas is a good player, but Polamalu is a great player on a great defense year in and year out. He's not as good as he was a couple years ago, but he's definitely one of the 20 best players in the league.

·
Premium Member
21,879 Posts

This is tricky territory with what should be the 19th and 20th players. I feel like it should be somebody who was injured last year and we're letting that cloud our judgement. I'll vote Clay Matthews here at 19 and then Andre Johnson at 20 (Adrian Peterson if healthy would also fit in this category).

·
Not Just Dumb, Aggie Dumb
18,849 Posts

andre

·
Registered
17,279 Posts

Troy Polamalu. You're crazy if you think he doesn't still have it. He's certainly better than a LT who has "anchored" terrible teams with terrible offenses for his entire career. I know Joe Thomas is a good player, but Polamalu is a great player on a great defense year in and year out. He's not as good as he was a couple years ago, but he's definitely one of the 20 best players in the league.
People in the league who actually get to watch the precious and closely guarded scouting tape all say the same thing about Polamalu: that his game is based on taking chances and he will frequently get burned by guessing wrong. I probably prefer James Harrison of anyone on that defense even at his age.

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts
Joe Thomas, his team being bad has little to do with him. We're talking about the best players, not the guys that were drafted into the most fortunate situations, right?

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

My point had nothing to do with where he was drafted or bad teams last thread.. It was on whole glorifying the whole LT position I found it odd, where everyone talks about needing to get that franchise guy to protect your QB when you can patchwork your OL, get a LT just good enough or have one fall into your lap.

Not to say Joe Thomas isn't talented and couldn't go here.

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts

Jimmy Graham. There is not way Gronk is more than 5 spots better than him.

·
Premium Member
51,478 Posts

Eli Manning

·
Registered
7,161 Posts

Philip Rivers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts