Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Toronto trades Alvin Williams and Lamond Murray to Atlanta for Theo Ratliff and a 2nd Round Draft Pick.

Discuss.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If this were to happen, the Raptors would then start Theo Ratliff at the centre, Chris Bosh at the power forward, Donyell Marshall at the small forward, Vince Carter at the shooting guard, and Jalen Rose at the point guard.

IMO I pull the trigger if Atlanta accepts this.
 

·
duke of new york, a#1
Joined
·
16,132 Posts
I've cooled on the idea of getting Theo. He is a pretty one-dimensional player. Bosh doesn't give us as many blocks at the 5, but contributes more everywhere else.

Theo is way overpaid and could walk at the end of the season.

And I don't want to give away Alvin when we are already having point guard problems. Don't want to give away Alvin period, really.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by <b>speedythief</b>!
I've cooled on the idea of getting Theo. He is a pretty one-dimensional player. Bosh doesn't give us as many blocks at the 5, but contributes more everywhere else.

Theo is way overpaid and could walk at the end of the season.

And I don't want to give away Alvin when we are already having point guard problems. Don't want to give away Alvin period, really.
We need a true centre, and Bosh just isn't cutting it right now. When he goes down, all we have is Archie and Bax, the Banger Brothers as CS calls them. Theo will not only help our ballclub in terms of wins, but will help Chris Bosh a lot in ways of defence and toughness.

As for Alvin, I am not worried to give him up. We give Milt more time, and possibly sign a vet or NBDL point guard in February or March if needed. Alvin isn't a true PG anyways.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,396 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Slasher</b>!


We need a true centre, and Bosh just isn't cutting it right now. When he goes down, all we have is Archie and Bax, the Banger Brothers as CS calls them. Theo will not only help our ballclub in terms of wins, but will help Chris Bosh a lot in ways of defence and toughness.

As for Alvin, I am not worried to give him up. We give Milt more time, and possibly sign a vet or NBDL point guard in February or March if needed. Alvin isn't a true PG anyways.
bosh isn't cutting it? uhh he's hurt.

as for the trade i like it because we get rid of alvin's teribble long term contract.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,128 Posts
Poor Alvin, how he has fallen from grace :(

Maybe we could offer him to the Knicks in a deal for Thomas. Lenny seems to get something out of him KO can't.
 

·
Fear The Red
Joined
·
8,910 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Numbed One</b>!
Poor Alvin, how he has fallen from grace :(

Maybe we could offer him to the Knicks in a deal for Thomas. Lenny seems to get something out of him KO can't.

I feel bad for alvin but still i would never trade him to a coach that can get more production out of him that is in our confrence
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,724 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Numbed One</b>!
Poor Alvin, how he has fallen from grace :(

Maybe we could offer him to the Knicks in a deal for Thomas. Lenny seems to get something out of him KO can't.
Why would you want to to trade for Thomas, when this ballclub's main objective is to get a good Center.

Thomas, if playing at the C spot, will be realyl undersized and can even be considered a pretty undersized forward already. Definitely not something this team needs right now IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,324 Posts
I don't think Alvin has fallen from grace. I know I still love him as a player.

But you have to realize that his contract runs for too long given his poor health and the fact he can't even be insured.

We have seen his shot be effected by his injuries more this year than in the past.

This could potentially get much worse.

He is going to be making well over 6 million near the end of his deal and will likely only be used in very limited minutes.

That is big money these days. Star money.

Moving him would benefit the club long-term.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by <b>Dathomieyouhate</b>!


bosh isn't cutting it? uhh he's hurt.

as for the trade i like it because we get rid of alvin's teribble long term contract.
Bosh isn't cutting it at the centre position. He is just too small and skinny to go against the likes of Shaq, Yao, and Duncan, and the other big bodies of the NBA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,261 Posts
well... Dickau and Michael Bradley can be involved in trade... Dickau can grabe some minutes at PG, and Bradley can have some PT in Atlanta...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
561 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Zuca</b>!
well... Dickau and Michael Bradley can be involved in trade... Dickau can grabe some minutes at PG, and Bradley can have some PT in Atlanta...
What??? Not a chance in hell. Dickau can't even grab min's in atlanta. Bradley has the potential to be a 10/8 guy in this leauge. he showed flashes of that last year. If he hadn't injured his leg he'd be getting plenty of PT in toronto I'm sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,128 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Ben</b>!


Why would you want to to trade for Thomas, when this ballclub's main objective is to get a good Center.

Thomas, if playing at the C spot, will be realyl undersized and can even be considered a pretty undersized forward already. Definitely not something this team needs right now IMO.
More than anything, Thomas would bring an attitude none of our current big men have. A mean streak, a bang-with-anyone-and-win kind of attitude. He would bring a swagger, a cockiness that Bosh, Bradley, Moiso or whoever couldn't bring to the game if they tried.

And honestly, who do you think would be better at the 5? Bosh or Thomas? If we slid Donyell to the 3, our overall size would make up for any handicaps we make for ourself by playing Thomas at the 5.

Besides, did we not come a shot away from the EC finals with a 6'9" centre?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,724 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Numbed One</b>!


More than anything, Thomas would bring an attitude none of our current big men have. A mean streak, a bang-with-anyone-and-win kind of attitude. He would bring a swagger, a cockiness that Bosh, Bradley, Moiso or whoever couldn't bring to the game if they tried.

And honestly, who do you think would be better at the 5? Bosh or Thomas? If we slid Donyell to the 3, our overall size would make up for any handicaps we make for ourself by playing Thomas at the 5.

Besides, did we not come a shot away from the EC finals with a 6'9" centre?
He's got that attitude, you got that right. But you gotta consider the fact that he's seriously undersized at the center spot and is way better if played as a 4. In order to win (big), a solid and true center is required for this team. Not some undersized big man who plays the same position as the budding future star of this team.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,128 Posts
I definetly do see what you're saying, but I think Thomas is better than any of our current options at the 5.

We got by for so long with Davis playing there. Sure, he was undersized, but I don't think you could have called the 5 a weakness with Davis making the all-star team that one year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,724 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Numbed One</b>!
I definetly do see what you're saying, but I think Thomas is better than any of our current options at the 5.
That's true. But look at it this way, not saying that Davis and Thomas are the same, but if a 6'9 C could only get you to EC finals a couple of years ago, chances are a 6'9 C wouldn't even get you to the semis these days.

The Eastern teams are starting to boast lineups with some decent-sized and solid Cs, and in order to win, like what VC wants, the Raptors will need to get a true center that actually has both the skills and size to play the 5.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mikedc from the Hawks board got this idea:

Theo Ratliff, Obinna Ekezie, and Dan Dickau to Toronto for Morris Peterson, Michael Curry, Lamond Murray, Michael Bradley, and Jerome Moiso.

Pretty lame idea. :uhoh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,432 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Slasher</b>!
Mikedc from the Hawks board got this idea:

Theo Ratliff, Obinna Ekezie, and Dan Dickau to Toronto for Morris Peterson, Michael Curry, Lamond Murray, Michael Bradley, and Jerome Moiso.

Pretty lame idea. :uhoh:
Theo Ratliff's defense > Peterson, Curry, Murray, Bradley, Moiso's defense all together.

That's all we basically need from a center right now. Defense. I could care less if Ekezie and Dickau are in the trade.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by <b>Mattsanity</b>!


Theo Ratliff's defense > Peterson, Curry, Murray, Bradley, Moiso's defense all together.

That's all we basically need from a center right now. Defense. I could care less if Ekezie and Dickau are in the trade.
So you would give all that up for pretty much just Ratliff?? :sigh:
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top