Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"It has been tough," the coach said, prior to last night's game at Philips Arena in Atlanta. "But like my good friend/cousin Marc (Upshaw) told me about two months ago, he said, 'Let me tell you something. This is the best thing that could have happened to you. You've been through everything this year that normally takes five years for a coach to go through.' "

Mitchell said he has no regrets and holds no grudges, not even against Carter.

"When you're coaching men in tough situations or in high stress situations, there are going to be some meltdowns," he said.

"But the players have to understand that you're going to stand your ground for what you believe."
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/TorontoSun/Sports/2005/03/27/973684-sun.html

·
Premium Member
17,636 Posts
Good article.
Sam Mitchell has been through a lot this season, and has been heavily criticised by the media for some of the decisions that he has made.
Overall though, he's a good motivator, and he's a great coach.
He will no doubt be our coach next year.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
i agree with Turk, he will be our coach for next year, and for years to come..im finnaly seeing some stability with this franchise if nothing else....ive been mad about some of the moves babs has made, and not made for that matter...but like i said we need to give him time...we need to give everything time....we have a YOUNG supertar in the making...we have a rookie head coach (who will be good given time), and we have a rookie GM, give all of these 3 integral parts some time...and the final product will be a distinguished one for sure....

·
Premium Member
3,337 Posts
i like mitchell. while he'll clearly coach our team next year, i think he deserves to coach our team next year- i don't think it's just the case of our team looking for some/any kind of stability. i think mitchell will be around for a while on merit.

that said, i'm sort of tired of the whole "no regrets" idea. i just don't believe anyone who makes that claim- and i'm not sure i understand why they would make it in the first place. it's one thing to have regrets, it's quite another to let them hold you down. it's okay to be "regretful" of mistakes; i don't always know why some people are scared to face that truth.

now, i think both babcock and mitchell would be absolutely insane if they didn't regret some of the things that have transpired this season, so that's why i don't always believe them, but i suppose it makes sense that they'd be reluctant to share such admissions through the toronto media. in my opinion, it's just another drawback of having our tabloid personalities project resounding and often unfair criticisms on a regular (and widespread) basis: we ultimately don't receive the truth as a result.

because we can't handle the truth. :)

while every mistake can be learned from, i don't think that necessarily means that you appreciate having made all of them. for example, mitchell's "must win" gauntlet in utah in the first month of the season was ridiculous. i think that was a punishing error. i think any man would regret overreacting in that way during his honeymoon period on the job. i personally wish that he never said what he did- i regret what he said. i think he should too. there are many other instances... and they're all normal.

imo, some people are way too afraid of looking perfect in the public eye- and at times in toronto, for good reason. i guess you can't always blame them.

peace

·
Fear The Red
8,910 Posts
Mitchell is a good coach but he is lucky because the raptors cant afford to fire another coach so even if they dont like what he is doing they probably wont fire him to save face

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
ballocks said:
i like mitchell. while he'll clearly coach our team next year, i think he deserves to coach our team next year- i don't think it's just the case of our team looking for some/any kind of stability. i think mitchell will be around for a while on merit.

that said, i'm sort of tired of the whole "no regrets" idea. i just don't believe anyone who makes that claim- and i'm not sure i understand why they would make it in the first place. it's one thing to have regrets, it's quite another to let them hold you down. it's okay to be "regretful" of mistakes; i don't always know why some people are scared to face that truth.

now, i think both babcock and mitchell would be absolutely insane if they didn't regret some of the things that have transpired this season, so that's why i don't always believe them, but i suppose it makes sense that they'd be reluctant to share such admissions through the toronto media. in my opinion, it's just another drawback of having our tabloid personalities project resounding and often unfair criticisms on a regular (and widespread) basis: we ultimately don't receive the truth as a result.

because we can't handle the truth. :)

while every mistake can be learned from, i don't think that necessarily means that you appreciate having made all of them. for example, mitchell's "must win" gauntlet in utah in the first month of the season was ridiculous. i think that was a punishing error. i think any man would regret overreacting in that way during his honeymoon period on the job. i personally wish that he never said what he did- i regret what he said. i think he should too. there are many other instances... and they're all normal.

imo, some people are way too afraid of looking perfect in the public eye- and at times in toronto, for good reason. i guess you can't always blame them.

peace
Totally agree.

In today's world, one wrong comment in the media can release a torrent of hate and backlash from the fans etc. That's why sometimes, it's good to have someone speaking their minds instead of "playing it safe".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts