Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know anything about Towson? I'm assuming that this is a game that UVM should win, but given the team's injuries...who knows???

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
They'll be a challenge. Dispatched two crappy A10 teams (GW, St. Joe's), hung in with Florida until the end, losing by 6. Smoked by Xavier, close losses to Kent State and Buffalo. Solid defensively.

A fully healthy UVM team at home should win, but if people are out this could go the other way. Really most crucial stretch of the non-conference right here. Home games with challenging but beatable sides. 3-1 or somehow 4-0 would be great. 2-2 okay but concerning and 1-3 0-4 panic button gif

·
Registered
447 Posts
They'll be a challenge. Dispatched two crappy A10 teams (GW, St. Joe's), hung in with Florida until the end, losing by 6. Smoked by Xavier, close losses to Kent State and Buffalo. Solid defensively.

A fully healthy UVM team at home should win, but if people are out this could go the other way. Really most crucial stretch of the non-conference right here. Home games with challenging but beatable sides. 3-1 or somehow 4-0 would be great. 2-2 okay but concerning and 1-3 0-4 panic button gif
You beat me to it. I watched some of the Florida game. Our guys will need their hardhats for this one. If “good” UVM shows up, we should win, but this can easily go the other way if “bad” UVM shows up. Mid single digit spread seems right to me, I’d have thought like 5-6 based on what I saw of Towson.

The UNCG team we play after this is very good, so we’d be well served to get this one in the right column heading into that game.

·
Premium Member
32,799 Posts
Towson is a CAA team so generally speaking expect it to be a bit bigger and probably more athletic overall. Compare them a little bit to Rider. I've seen them play a bit and definitely a team we can beat, but going to take a team effort, toughness, shot-making, etc to win. Will be a lot tougher if Giddens and Shungu remain out.

There's really only two games on the OOC schedule where the team just needs to show up to win, CCSU and likely also Dartmouth. The next 4 at home will be no walk in the park. Need to take care of business and start home stand off right with a W.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Do we have an update on the injuries? I wish the staff would make practice lists public like what they do in the NFL. The fans would have a lot of there questions answered by simple daily updates like "Shungu (hamstring) was limited in today's practice. E. Duncan did not practice due to illness," etc.

I'm very pleased with the home schedule this year. That said, a loss--even to UNCG--would be just as unacceptable as dropping the Yale game. I don't want to be hyperbolic and say "We can't afford it" because we already "Couldn't afford" dropping the Yale and Rider matches and failing to cover the spread at Cincy....so at some point you just have to accept that your team will be a 12/13-seed and recognize whatever you do at the tail end of OOC won't matter.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Agreed it would be nice to have Giddens for this one, too. Giddens helps alleviate a lot of pressure on undersized Lamb on defense, and we need Lamb's energy and acuity on the offensive end as I imagine they'll focus on making him as uncomfortable as possible and try to force him into shitty shots. That seems to be the MO.

·
Premium Member
32,799 Posts
Translation: They're day-to-day. They wouldn't play on this day. But tomorrow is a new day, so we'll see what happens on that day.
This, and as any New England Patriot fan knows there’s a healthy amount of gamesmanship involved with disclosing injuries. Becker’s job is to win games, not alleviate fan’s anxiety about who will/won’t be in lineup. No need to help the opponent game plan.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts