Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Towson at UVM Sat. 7PM

4K views 42 replies 18 participants last post by  UVM Hoop Cat 
#1 ·
Anyone know anything about Towson? I'm assuming that this is a game that UVM should win, but given the team's injuries...who knows???

#33 ·
I’d like to see some guys get a bit more aggressive offensively. I can’t remember if it was Rob or Ethan but they made a correct observation that many times the ball ends up in Lamb’s hands deep in the shot clock and he’s forced to take/rush a shot that he otherwise probably wouldn’t take/tough shot. Happened at least 6-7 times tonight. The offense has to do a better job creating before the shot clock expires. Hopefully the coaching staff is trying to get the team better at this.

#35 ·
The defense was the best it's been all year. Yes it helps that Towson is offensively challenged, but from jump to the final whistle the team stayed locked in. The offense on the other hand was still too much isolation. Where the hell were all those baseline cuts to the basket the first damn 30 minutes. The ball moved OKish, but players are still standing around watching too much.

Reactions: UVM Hoop Cat
#37 ·
Towson was abysmal offensively, but they did score 60 against Florida in a 6 point loss, so they are not inept. This was a lot about great UVM defense forcing bad shots, offensive fouls and turnovers.

People have already said it, but it’s night and day with Shungu back. He’s just a bear to deal with defensively. And that’s the Smith we need. Somebody who can carry the scoring load when Lamb is missing shots. And Lamb is missing a fair amount right now.

I thought Giddens was effective as well, although he did have one of those weird plays where he doesn’t put his hands up against somebody shooting in the lane. You’re 6’11”, put your hands up. But he rebounded well, got a couple buckets, made a beautiful pass to Ben for a layup, and protected the lane without fouling. Nice game with no Davis to provide backup.

Finally, Deloney didn’t score much but for the smallest guy on the court, he got in the mix on a bunch of rebounds and got a couple he had no right to get. A lot of effort plays from him in this game.

Good challenge coming up in 11 days against a tournament contender.

#38 ·
If you were going to design the ideal basketball body from the ground up, it'd look a lot like Daniel Giddens. It amazes me that he doesn't have more tools on the offensive end, but he increasingly seems to be doing useful things - such as the pass to Shungu and kicking the ball out to the perimeter after a rebound - that won't show up in the box score. Still, I'll be disappointed if he doesn't manage to score in double figures at least once this season.

#40 ·
UVM (minus Stef) didn't shoot well.

Towson...well, the way they shot, you'd think that the rims were the wrong height. Or off-center. Or crooked. Or were moving. Holy crap, they took some perfectly fine shots really, really badly. Like, "guy at the rec center who chucks up everything and yells 'Kobe!'" badly.

An 11-minute, 20-1 run in the 2nd Half. That's absurd defense, even if Towson players don't have any depth perception.

One quick thing on Giddens: I think his passing/decision-making is slowly improving. Made better choices with the ball: took guys when he thought he could, made quality passes when he couldn't (someone mentioned the one to Shungu, but there were others that didn't directly result in baskets but kept the offense moving). Being smart is half the battle.

Get plenty of rest, and we'll see you in 11 days.

#41 ·
Smith had a great game at both ends. It is wonderful to have Shungu back. The combination of these two guys I think easily gives UVM the best backcourt in the AE.

Towson defended well until late in the game. They are a very athletic and physical team. Becker's call for UVM to play "Vermont basketball" with greater toughness and more aggressive defense got answered in this game.

Giddens' passing to backdoor cutters is too good not to exploit. I expect to see an increase in upcoming games.

#43 ·
How many offensive fouls did Shungu draw in the game? He had 3 at halftime. Most players might play 3-5 games and not even draw 1. Difference maker. Only place that stuff shows up is W.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.