Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....5-20 against the Hornets on friday...6-21 against the Suns...both games end in a L for houston..

...this is basically a reoccuring theme for tmac...a lot 19 footers :curse:

Him being my favorite player, I tend to be overly critical of him....but he just can't seem to shake this "Sam Perkins syndrom" that's got a hold over him the last few season...last season being its worst..just jacking up 3's for the hell of it..

..he's gotten better this season..but he just doesn't consistantly attack the basket..ironically this is the very reason I consider him the most talented 6'7 and up player to ever play in the NBA...he can literally score 35 pts and not take a freethrow...

...with that being said...this is the wrong team for him to be playing on (if he's going to continue to play like this)..outside of him and Yao no one on the rockets can create their own shot...so they need him to attack the basket and draw defenders..Houston relys waaaay too much on their role players to hit jumpers, when there on, Houston is a 100ppg team when their off...IT'S REALLY UGLY......his jumper has been the definition of inconsistant this season :sigh:

...so am I over reacting to a bad stretch or do you guys see this also

·
Banned
2,620 Posts
Hmm... sounds like the shooting slumps that Kobe has gone through at times this year, I feel your pain.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shoprite said:
Tmac is injured.
yes, he has been banged up this season, with his hip/back...im starting to think maybe he souldn't played against the spurs last sunday....

....let remind you he is my favorite player..so I have a tendacy to not think rationally when it comes to him :biggrin: :sad: :) :censored: ...

..u see

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Tmac is hurting and beat up but he doesn't complain about it. I was thinking the same thing during tonights game, that our role players roles have, well.... become too big. Three point game has become too big, less attacking the basket. But at this point in the season, everyone is playing bad. Nobody can sink shots. Everyones beat up and tired, the season is just too long!! And it's stupid that there's only 3 days between last reg season game and playoffs.

·
MVP
8,996 Posts
He is missing layups left and right. He is running away from the ball in the 4th quarter. The mental game is not there for McGrady. He's actually been inconsistent throughout the season; started out slow, had a good streak to begin 2005, then went on another small slump, improved for the Rockets 8 game winning streak and has been on/off after the All Star break. Needs to get to the FT line, he is very capable of doing so.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
WestSydeBalla said:
It's just a slump. T-mac is not a great player just good,It happens.
While I agree it's just a slump and these things happen, I disagree that McGrady is not a great player. I think he's one of the few current perimeter players on a clear Hall of Fame path, and an upper-tier Hall of Famer at that.

·
Registered
375 Posts
TMac has become a jump shooter in a very bad way. All this about him being injured and that's why he's just taking jump shots is bull. He did it all last season with the magic and has been doing it again this year. He's definitely getting more open looks with Yao but his FG% hasn't improved.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sherwin said:
I was thinking the same thing during tonights game, that our role players roles have, well.... become too big. Three point game has become too big, less attacking the basket. But at this point in the season, everyone is playing bad. Nobody can sink shots. Everyones beat up and tired, the season is just too long!! And it's stupid that there's only 3 days between last reg season game and playoffs.
Add that to the fact the role players on this team are just plain old.....

...I think they rely sooo much on their role players is because Yao hasn't for most part, been a reliable 2nd option this season....That's why he's so critical for houston to make noise in the playoffs...to able to throw into post, and know that Yao is either gonna score or get fouled..will open the game up for everyone on the team...this isn't meant to bash Yao

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
When you average missing 12.1 shots per game you tend to miss that many shots per game. Is there any suprise in this? Because of statistical variations he's bound to miss more than his average every now and then (he missed 15 shots today... 6-21 shooting... while he averages going 9-21... a three shot differential.. not really a statistical anomoly). He's also a very crappy 3 point shooter yet shoots a lot of threes. So again he tends to miss a lot of 3's. He shoots about 32% from 3, going 1.8-5.6 on average, today he went 0-5. While below his average it's probably only one or two standard deviations away which is more than statistically understandable.

It's very simple to understand... Stars that shoot A LOT of shots a game at low percentages put up these kinds of games ALL the time. Then again they'll have some games where they shoot pretty good. Nothing out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
tone wone said:
Add that to the fact the role players on this team are just plain old.....

...I think they rely sooo much on their role players is because Yao hasn't for most part, been a reliable 2nd option this season....That's why he's so critical for houston to make noise in the playoffs...to able to throw into post, and know that Yao is either gonna score or get fouled..will open the game up for everyone on the team...this isn't meant to bash Yao
Well a part of it is that Sura, James, Padgett, Bowen, and maybe Wesley don't know how and when to properly feed the ball to Yao. I think it may be a coaching issue.

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
T-mac's playing with tendinitis in both his knees. His explosion and speed has been pretty much non existant over the last week or so. Even he admits he's moving "like a 40 year old" out there. It was pretty sad to actually watch him play tonight. Getting beat on D and unable to drive past anybody(and this Phoenix's D). I hope he gets better soon. Houston can be pretty brutal to watch when their roleplayers aren't hitting shots. Now u add T-mac's struggles to that and it's just one big mess. This team is still ways b4 becoming a legit title contender. Their OLD supporting casts strong play kinda fooled us all......cuz they've been showing off their real age for a month or so now and HOuston's struggling to score again.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
tempe85 said:
He's also a very crappy 3 point shooter yet shoots a lot of threes. So again he tends to miss a lot of 3's. He shoots about 32% from 3, going 1.8-5.6 on average, today he went 0-5. While below his average it's probably only one or two standard deviations away which is more than statistically understandable.
32% is not "very crappy." From an efficiency stand-point, 33% three-point shooting is equivalent to 50% two-point shooting. 32% is nothing stellar, but it's not terrible at all.

I agree, though, that his numbers aren't stunning. They're well within statistical variance. This is just a slump...statistical performance among athletes never follows a straight line right at one's averages. McGrady has had 11-16 nights and the like also. Local performance data, or snapshots, are fairly useless in terms of analysis.

Edit: And having both knees afflicted by tendonitis sure doesn't help.

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
EHL said:
Wha? When did that happen?
The concern is not what and when, the concern is WHY at such a young age? Can u see another overpaid player coming?

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
John said:
Can u see another overpaid player coming?
what's that supposed to mean?

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
tone wone said:
what's that supposed to mean?
If he is injured, he wont perform the way he is performing, so can you say overpaid?

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
EHL said:
Wha? When did that happen?
Recently. Like last week, I think. He made some comment about how he's currently moving like a 40-year old due to that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts