Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think for the Rockets to actually move forward, we have got trade cat. Don't get me wrong, he is a good player, but our backcourt is very small, and none of our guard play D. He had a good year and there are plenty of teams that would love to take him. If we packaged a deal with cat and mo, for decent 2 who played defense, it would open up shots for Griffin, who might be on the verge of a breakout year. wht do you think???

·
Registered
7,590 Posts
I don't know what to do. If we trade Cat, that would most likely lead to Francis leaving, which is NOT what i want. But if Francis would stay, and we could work a nice deal with Cat in it, it's fine with me. What would be great is if we could trade Cat and Mo, + 15, for Jamison and #3. Our lineup could be Francis, Butler, Griffin, Jamison, and Ming.

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
If you guys want to make the playoffs, cat needs to go!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I can see the Rockets making the playoffs with Cat but not far.
Cat needs to learn how to be a team player and improve his defense. He has to play smarter.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I disagree. I think Cuttino Mobley would be a fine SG for the Rockets to bank their future on. Part of why Mobley has poor passing skills is that he simply has not had a great deal of talent around him (save Franchise) to pass to. Steve Francis has the same problem. I think with this draft, and as time goes on, the supporting cast of the Rockets will improve, and Cat will demonstrate that he does have passing skills. Also, the no defense claim on Mobley I also dislike. Watching him, he puts forth a lot of effort to stay in front of his man, and he usually does a good job. The problem is that it is virtually impossible to keep good guards out of the paint these days, and the Rockets don't have any good inside presence to dissuade any would-be basket attackers (please Ming, be the C we need!). It must be nice to be Bruce Bowen. Not only is he praised as being a good defender, but he has David Robinson and Tim Duncan behind him to erase his mistakes.

Ming will be the answer. Just wait and see. (Oh please please please be the answer).

·
Registered
16 Posts
While I agree that there are no much talent around him, he falls in love with the isolation play and do not pass the ball unless he has to. He can always pass the ball and get it back.

There is no movement in the Rockets offense. I like to see him score less and pass more. I like a player for the SG position in the mold of Brent Barry or even Doug Christy.

Even 2 seasons ago when we had Mo Taylor and Olajawon, Bullard, etc.. he did not have more assests.

Do no get me wrong, I like his efforts but he needs to play smarter and be more of a team player. He & Steve need to involve the other players. They need to give them more confidence and make them better by sharing the ball.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't understand, in the same post you say he should pass more and not fall in love with the isolation play, but you also say that no one else on the floor moves much and there is no motion. Don't you think that could be part of the reason why he doesn't pass more and falls in love with the isolation play? I am pretty certain that the reason the Rockets offense is as drab and unimaginative as it is, and not Cat. Cat plays in the offense as Rudy draws it up, and Rudy is the one who seems to have fallen in love with the isolations (although not so much last season).

Having said that, if Ming turns into a good center, I look for the Rockets offense to drastically change over the next couple years. If Mobley can't change his game with it, then I say we should trade him, but not until then.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Cat Mobley

I like Cat too, but I agree that for the Rockets to get better, he has to go. I know that Cuttino and Francis are "best buddies," but if Francis actually says that if Mobley leaves, he will leave, he has to grow up. This is pro basketball, it's not some 8 year old bball game. I think Francis would stay with Houston if Mobley was traded.

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
Compaq centre, first I want to ask you why did you use this screename? Second, why do you use the ring pic? I mean the Rockets haven't been in the playoffs for quite sometime....

·
Registered
23 Posts
The Astros were in the playoffs in '97-'98. That really wasn't that long ago.

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
Re: Question

Originally posted by mduke
Penny: are you really a Penny Hardaway fan? Just wonderin....
I am a true fan who has all the Penny skills and be able to beat the CAT in every aspect of the game. No, I mean I can't beat him on being a worse defensive player man.;)

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
Originally posted by RunninRaven
The Astros were in the playoffs in '97-'98. That really wasn't that long ago.
lol, Rockets eh? No Astros no Jeff Bagell! Who was the pitcher? Or an outfielder? Something Finley? Chuck Finley?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Originally posted by Penny Hardaway

lol, Rockets eh? No Astros no Jeff Bagell! Who was the pitcher? Or an outfielder? Something Finley? Chuck Finley?
Damn, you caught me. I said Astros instead of Rockets. But since you didn't refute my actual point, I feel I got the message across.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Originally posted by Penny Hardaway
Compaq centre, first I want to ask you why did you use this screename? Second, why do you use the ring pic? I mean the Rockets haven't been in the playoffs for quite sometime....
COMPAQ CENTER is the basketball arena for the Rockets for one more year. They are going to have a brand new arena next year (2003-2004) season in which the Rockets are going to win the Ring. But I need to change my name in one year. Nah..

Anyways, Rockets has 2 RINGs already.

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
Best friend won't win you games, beat players win you gams. Cat needs to go!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts