·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Re: Woj: Gasol/Snell to Kings is in discussion Feb 17

I'd be all over this Sacramento deal if Sacramento would accept.

You get McLemore, who is slightly better than Snell now and with some upside. It's a low-risk lottery ticket asset. You get Koufos, who is a solid backup to potential spot-starting C, which the Bulls would need particularly if Pau goes. The defense gets better immediately. You also then improve the current pick that will probably not materialize and would turn into less valuable 2nd rounders into a 1st rounder. All for a 2-month rental of a guy who said he was likely to opt out and who is not part of the long-term plan. Oh, and Snell, if that's relevant.

What's not to like?

·
Registered
181 Posts
If its Koufus / McLemore for Snell / Gasol and some alteration of the Kings pick.

* Interesting to see the Bulls adding salary for this season. That's not usual since I think they would pay more tax. (assuming hoopshype is right)
* Its a long term investment in Koufus. He's under contract until 17/18 with a player option for 18/19. (assuming hoopshype is right)
* McLemore looks like a bad NBA basketball player to this point. He's cheap and gone though if needed at the end of next season. Koufus looks like he can play.
* Gasol is going to walk anyway and it doesn't look like Snell will be an impact NBA player, at least not on this team. He is cheap though and I still think shows potential to be a D and 3 guy in the right spot.

The Sacto pick rules changing is interesting. At first it seems like a nice deal. Kings are slotted at #9 now so the Bulls would not get that pick as it stands, depending on lotto balls of course. After this trade they would get it. Making it, what, top 3 protected would increase the odds of the Bulls getting the pick this season.

But, giving the Kings Gasol would likely make them a better team, causing them to win more games and giving them fewer lotto balls / perhaps making the playoffs. Giving them Gasol probably devalues the Sacto pick, assuming the Sacto team improves with him. So that's not good. If that's the case, we're giving ourselves a poorer pick and basically making a long term / not cheap investment in Koufus.

Koufus is due to make 7.7 / 8.1 / 8.4 and 8.7 on the player option.

Kind of an anti-Bulls move. Pay more tax, decrease financial flexibility. Maybe they like Koufus a lot?

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
If its Koufus / McLemore for Snell / Gasol and some alteration of the Kings pick.

* Interesting to see the Bulls adding salary for this season. That's not usual since I think they would pay more tax. (assuming hoopshype is right)
* Its a long term investment in Koufus. He's under contract until 17/18 with a player option for 18/19. (assuming hoopshype is right)
* McLemore looks like a bad NBA basketball player to this point. He's cheap and gone though if needed at the end of next season. Koufus looks like he can play.
* Gasol is going to walk anyway and it doesn't look like Snell will be an impact NBA player, at least not on this team. He is cheap though and I still think shows potential to be a D and 3 guy in the right spot.

The Sacto pick rules changing is interesting. At first it seems like a nice deal. Kings are slotted at [URL=http://www.basketballforum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=9]#9 [/URL] now so the Bulls would not get that pick as it stands, depending on lotto balls of course. After this trade they would get it. Making it, what, top 3 protected would increase the odds of the Bulls getting the pick this season.

But, giving the Kings Gasol would likely make them a better team, causing them to win more games and giving them fewer lotto balls / perhaps making the playoffs. Giving them Gasol probably devalues the Sacto pick, assuming the Sacto team improves with him. So that's not good. If that's the case, we're giving ourselves a poorer pick and basically making a long term / not cheap investment in Koufus.

Koufus is due to make 7.7 / 8.1 / 8.4 and 8.7 on the player option.

Kind of an anti-Bulls move. Pay more tax, decrease financial flexibility. Maybe they like Koufus a lot?

Re: the "poorer pick" concept, while that's true, I think the first goal has to be just to get the pick at all. If Pau helps them and the pick goes down to #15 , while that's obviously not as good as #9 , it's massively better to get the 15th pick than having the pick fall into the protection layer and potentially just getting stuck with 2nd rounders in the future.

And hey, don't forget they'd be getting Snell, which probably keeps them in the lottery! :)

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So now I'm seeing chatter that the Kings aren't playing ball on the pick protection aspect of the potential trade, which is basically the point of doing the trade. Sigh.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Kirk Hinrich to the Hawks for a second rounds! Bold move by a progressive front office that is on the cutting edge of innovation. 2016 Champs!

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
It would be funny if I didn't care. Its still kind of gallows humor funny.
It is indeed gallows humor funny.

I'm fine with the move itself, but this team needs something a lot more dramatic.

So now we monitor the buyout market I guess. Yippee.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Well that sucked Dump Kirk to save money.

Some changes need to be made with the front office this summer and this comes from soneone that is usually defending them. Enough.

Age, injuries, and not the players Fred needs to run his offense.

We may not make the playoffs.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
I'm expecting Yodurk to come on here any minute to defend Garpax.

Just kidding.

Seriously, these ass-clowns need to speak to the media today and explain why they continue to only make salary dump trades.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
From KC Johnson

"In interview with the Tribune, Bulls GM Gar Forman confirms team will try to re-sign Pau Gasol this summer."

Ladies and gentlemen, your Chicago Bulls front office!

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Well that sucked Dump Kirk to save money.

Some changes need to be made with the front office this summer and this comes from soneone that is usually defending them. Enough.

Age, injuries, and not the players Fred needs to run his offense.

We may not make the playoffs.

KC is reporting the Bulls have also acquired Justin Holiday in the deal.

The deal is fine. There's nothing wrong with the deal. Dumping old, brittle Kirk for a 2nd rounder and a backup wing who might be able to take Snell's minutes is A-OK with me.

The issue is that this was the only deal. That hurts.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
KC is reporting the Bulls have also acquired Justin Holiday in the deal.

The deal is fine. There's nothing wrong with the deal. Dumping old, brittle Kirk for a 2nd rounder and a backup wing who might be able to take Snell's minutes is A-OK with me.

The issue is that this was the only deal. That hurts.
I completely agree, although I have not seen confirmation on the Justin Holiday.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts