Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.suntimes.com/output/bull...t-roman072.html

"The long-range goal is to give ourselves a chance to win championships,'' Krause said. "The short-range goal is to make the playoffs.

<B>"We're not going to sacrifice young talent to make the playoffs. We're not going to sacrifice the chance to win big later on to make the playoffs. And we think we're in position to win big later on. Still, saying all that, we still want to make the playoffs this season.''</B>

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Thank god we have a GM like Krause willing to see this through, rather then nut at the chance to make the playoffs as the 8th seed.

Glad to see him say his will not trade away young talent to play 4 games in the first round... That's a total waste IMO.

I'd rather miss this year, make it next, finals the next, and a chance to win it all in 2006; rather then give away young studs for a guy like Jones who will be 40 when we are really a top 3 team.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Jim Ian</b>!
Thank god we have a GM like Krause willing to see this through, rather then nut at the chance to make the playoffs as the 8th seed.

Glad to see him say his will not trade away young talent to play 4 games in the first round... That's a total waste IMO.

I'd rather miss this year, make it next, finals the next, and a chance to win it all in 2006; rather then give away young studs for a guy like Jones who will be 40 when we are really a top 3 team.
I completely agree. We should wait to see how our players develop before making any trades. We can see that Chandler is THE REAL DEAL. All we have to do is get Curry to play harder. We now should also try to start both Crawford and JWills. They would be running teams over with their quickness. Defensively, it may be a problem but we are testing and if it works out, we are damn dangerous.

·
Registered
936 Posts
The article goes on to say: But don't expect operations chief Jerry Krause to make any drastic moves to improve his team's chances of making the playoffs. The plan is still to develop Tyson Chandler, Jay Williams and Eddy Curry into a nucleus that will help the Bulls contend for the Eastern Conference title in a couple of seasons.

If Modrowski interprets Krause's remarks to mean that Williams, Chandler and Curry are untradeable then so be it. I don't think any Bulls fan would have a problem with that.

However, beyond the Big Three, there are still alot of bargaining chips for Krause to play with. Forget Rose...he's not going anywhere. And Marshall's not going to be dealt after taking less money as a free agent to play in Chicago. Remarks like this from Marshall reinforce his value to the ballclub: "Everybody thought I made a mistake coming to this team. I've always said this team is on the upswing." If you ever want to sign another free agent again, the last thing you do is deal away a guy who really wanted to play for the Bulls.

So what's left? Who are the assets Krause may be dangling between now and February 20? Crawford, Fizer, Bagaric, Robinson, Hoiberg, Blount, Hassell, Brunson, Baxter and Mason. All are tradeable...some are assets and some are filler, and some may be a little bit of both. And lets not forget those future first round picks that most believe Krause would never consider trading away.

Fundamentally, Krause's remarks about not wanting to trade away the future for a taste of the playoffs reflect a reasonable approach to his rebuilding project. What he didn't say is who he considers part of the Bulls future. Beyond Williams, Chandler, Curry, Rose and Marshall, I can't think of anyone who couldn't be had for the right price.

·
Registered
491 Posts
For any deal involving Crawford and Fizer, it should be done in the postseason and not in the midst of the season when we're gelling. Beside we will get more value more them at the end of the season.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Here's the latest from ESPN:
The Bulls might be willing to part with Jamal Crawford, Marcus Fizer and Eddie Robinson in return for Fortson and Dunleavy.

It won't work under CBA regulations. GS would have to chip in some more. But unless Krause is truly enamored with Dunleavy, I don't see anything coming of this proposal.

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Krause's statement is clear.

"We're not going to trade young talent..." period. No young talent.

That would include Fizer and Crawford and Hassell and JWill and Curry and Chandler and Bagaric and ERob and Baxter and Mason.

That would leave Rose, Marshall, Hoiberg, and Blount. I doubt any of those are going anywhere.

So.... no.... deals.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts

Yeah damn straight

Thank God for Jerry "riverboat ring your bell high stakes stud poker" Krause

If he insists on all or nothing then nothing it shall be

The one big fundamental flaw in this thinking is beleiving the kids are going to hang after getting hammered season in and season out by being a lottery team for the next 3 years

Noooooooo

Don't let our boys taste success. Let them suffer on Earth for the promises of the riches of Heaven and then curse them to eternal damnation when they give in to wickedness and earthly pleasures like.... winning ( with the Devil which is basically anyone that picks them up in free agency and gives them a better situation )

Gee you'd swear that Jerry Krause is Mick Catholic

You have your young core and your two key vets - Dickie has it right on the money when he identifies who is ( or should be ) up for sale

Dickie also has it spot on where he humourously and correctly points out that this team is like a new tool kit and finding out that that there are 12 pieces to you kit but everything only comes in 2 of

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Originally posted by <b>F.Jerzy</b>!
You have your young core and your two key vets - Dickie has it right on the money when he identifies who is ( or should be ) up for sale
Therein lies the rub.

There is not a person on Earth, not Mick Catholic, Jesus, or God himself, that knows which of the 5 young studs will be the "young core." You can guess and pretend to know all ya like... but fact is ya don't know, I don't know, Jordan doesn't know, Jerry West doesn't know, Phil Jackson doesn't know. Name somebody? They don't know.

Jerry's not willing to trade 2 guys (let's say Fizer & Crawdaddy) who, like it or not, could very well end up being the best 2 of the group. That's the kind of crap that gets you fired. Thank God JK has more sense then to shoot his kids a year early only to see them on other teams later, standing between him and winning the title. While the guy he traded them for (Let's say Eddie Jones) is 139 and rotting on IR. In other words, no help when you really need him....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Originally posted by <b>LoaKhoet</b>!

I completely agree. We should wait to see how our players develop before making any trades. We can see that Chandler is THE REAL DEAL. All we have to do is get Curry to play harder. We now should also try to start both Crawford and JWills. They would be running teams over with their quickness. Defensively, it may be a problem but we are testing and if it works out, we are damn dangerous.
I agree with you , I wouldn't really like to see any more trades , with the exception of maybe Crawford (although I do think he's pretty good ) , because he's does have some trade value . Fizer is a keeper in my mind , he's a team player and I think that he has accepted his role as a very good sixth man , so I would want him as a future backup for TC .

The other two players that I wouldn' mind trading are Erob (because of his contract) and Bagaric (because I don't see him in the future plans ). I think that the rest of the team will probably know their roles and accept them , so we need to build some team chemistry and not make many trades with the exceptions that I have already made .

Go Bulls.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Originally posted by <b>DickieHurtz</b>!
Here's the latest from ESPN:
The Bulls might be willing to part with Jamal Crawford, Marcus Fizer and Eddie Robinson in return for Fortson and Dunleavy.

It won't work under CBA regulations. GS would have to chip in some more. But unless Krause is truly enamored with Dunleavy, I don't see anything coming of this proposal.
Dunleavy makes no sense with Jalen Rose on board

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
In fact , if Dunleavy can show something this season , my tip is they let Gil Arenas go cause they won't want to pony up on the basis that they will hope Dunleavy can eventually be their primary ballhandler

That gives a future back court of Jiri Welsh and JRich with Dunleavy and Jamison at the forward and Damp at Center

Murphy from the bench

That is how I see the GSW ultimately shaping up

GSW are going to be the real sleepers of this draft with Dunleavy and Welsh

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
rather then give away young studs for a guy like Jones who will be 40 when we are really a top 3 team.
Well seeing as though that is in 8 years I guess we will have to wait that long before we are near the top

It's only been 5 what's another 8

And I guess all our chooks in the foulyard that are trying to be headrooster will all be hanging in the pen still by then still trying to figure out which cock can crow the loudest and longest

Cock a doodle do

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BCH</b>!
Arenas is going to be gone unless GS can get far enough below the cap to match any offer over the MLE.
I don't see Gil commanding more than $5M - and for an extra $500K a guy like that will likely smoke em to the highest bidder

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Tri_N</b>!
For any deal involving Crawford and Fizer, it should be done in the postseason and not in the midst of the season when we're gelling. Beside we will get more value more them at the end of the season.
agreed. what could we have gotten for brad and artest if we had waited til the draft to trade them? at the time, the two only proved that they can only play a decent half-season.

if marcus keeps up his play throughout the season, his value should be at its highest after a full season of putting up solid numbers. but i personally would rather stand pat even then and hold onto a valueble player like Marcus.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Originally posted by <b>F.Jerzy</b>!

I don't see Gil commanding more than $5M - and for an extra $500K a guy like that will likely smoke em to the highest bidder
I have read somewhere that the Nugz have indicated they are going to make Gil an offer that GS can't match. I think it is virtually impossible for them to clear the necessary cap space.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts

Therein lies the rub.

There is not a person on Earth, not Mick Catholic, Jesus, or God himself, that knows which of the 5 young studs will be the "young core." You can guess and pretend to know all ya like... but fact is ya don't know, I don't know, Jordan doesn't know, Jerry West doesn't know, Phil Jackson doesn't know. Name somebody? They don't know.
That's not the point. Fact is you got to make a commitment and commitments have not been made to everybody .

It's clear that a commitment has been made to Jay - that's what Jamdrop has had himself in a twist about all season

Its clear that a commitment has been made to Tyson - that's why we dealt Elton and why Prince Tyse was lunching with Papa Reisndorf at the Club last week.

That's where the two clear commitments lie in our young core .

One may speculate that there is a commitment made to Eddy Curry as well just by virtue of his size and ultimate capacity to dominate his position

What have the Bulls done in their actions over the last season or so to show a warm fuzzy commitment to Fizz and Jamdrop ?

Marcus is changing the equation somewhat by compelling people to view him differently through an admirable attitude combined with high performance. For the guy that never was supposed to be a Bull , the irony could be that he is a career Bull and a key part of our front court rotation

Anyhow, you don't trade for Eddie Jones unless you thin the backcourt/wings which sends Jamdrop and Efelon + change to Miami for EJ - who has a better capacity as working as a circuit breaker for Jay and Jalen

See : Jalen and Jamal's thinly veiled swipes at Jay in the last 24 hours - Jamal's being more blatant and clumsy . Does he really think he endears himself to the org by openly pizzing on their Golden Boy ? Dumb as dogcrap

Jerry's not willing to trade 2 guys (let's say Fizer & Crawdaddy) who, like it or not, could very well end up being the best 2 of the group. That's the kind of crap that gets you fired.
So can not proceeding in an orderly development and stunting the proper/orderly growth of your young crew that have been clearly preferenced but yet where inappropriate structuring has been allowed to remain - the net result of which gets everyone jacked off and on the first plane out of here when they get the chance.

Thank God JK has more sense then to shoot his kids a year early only to see them on other teams later, standing between him and winning the title. While the guy he traded them for (Let's say Eddie Jones) is 139 and rotting on IR. In other words, no help when you really need him....
Yeah I'm sure if we lose Jamal and ERob to Miami they will be standing between us and a title. Sure thing . Yeah Jamal and ERob have greater probability for success than Jay, Tyson, Eddy and Marcus.

And you say that EJ would be no help when we need him ? Gee I would have thought that in 4 years if we consolidate our young talent that we would not be relying on EJ alone - that those that we appear to have committed to have come through and are more the engine as to whether we win or lose in the playoffs - that it does not hang on EJ . I would also have thought by then that our drafting outcomes would have netted us a pretty decent Desmond Masoneque mid 1st round pick where types like this can always be had - and a guy like this ultimately supplants EJ in the progression plan

Oh but that's right .. Jamdrop can get us there quicker than EJ can now and Jamdrop will be the difference between us winning and losing once we are there.

Uh huh . Got it.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BCH</b>!

I have read somewhere that the Nugz have indicated they are going to make Gil an offer that GS can't match. I think it is virtually impossible for them to clear the necessary cap space.
yeah I saw that too

I see Gil ending up in Miami or Denver

1 - 20 of 36 Posts