Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would really appreciate some feedback on this trade idea from Cavs and Laker fans.

Lakers trade:
Shaq
Sampson

Cavs trade:
Ilgauskis(spl?)
Eric Williams
Tony Battie
Carlos Boozer

Works salary cap wise btw.

Cavs new lineup:

Shaq,Diop,Boutjme
(free agent),Sampson
Brown,Newble
Lebron,Kapono
Mciniss,Wagner

Lakers new lineup:

Z,Battie
Boozer,Slava,Cook
George,Williams,Walton
Kobe,Rush
(Free agent),Fisher

First let me begin by saying. This trade would take place over the summer. Regardless if the Lakers if the Lakers win the title or not. Im one of those Laker fans that has a feeling that the Lakers may have to make major changes if they want to keep Kobe in a Lakers uni. Payton and Karl more than likely wont be back. The Lakers have yet to offer Shaq a contract extension. I believe that's happened for a reason. Shaq has 2 or 3 really solid seasons left in him. I dont believe the Lakers want to invest too much more money in Shaq.

I believe they will take the steps to rebuild around Kobe. That's why I believe the Lakers would look at a deal such as the one above. Lakers lose the most dominate force in the league. However, they get back nice size in return. Along with youth and upside. Players that would fit Kobe's style of play, IMO.

Cavs do this trade because Shaq would make them immediate contenders. Especially in the East. Shaq would dominate. Lebron would have a great big man to help take pressure off of him. Shaq+Lebron=EVEN BIGGER BOX OFFICE in Cleveland. The Cavs would actually contend for the title for 2 or 3 years to come.

So Cavs fans, would you like a trade like this?

Laker fans, do you think Kobe could lead this group of young guys to the playoffs? Possibly the finals coming out of the tough Western Conf?

One more thing. Laker fans, i checked out the list of free agent point guards for next season. The name that popped out at me was Steve Nash. How would Nash look in the purple and gold?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
995 Posts
Would be great if shaq was a few years younger but the cavs are trading their 2nd best player and someone who will be key to their future for a very dominant center but who really knows how much longer he will be around? Also throw in a great roleplayer like eric williams and big z's contract that ends next season and i think its fair to say cavs are giving up way too much since they are trying to build for future.

Plus I know this is a cut throat business but is that the way you say thanks to someone that brought you a three peat?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Plus I know this is a cut throat business but is that the way you say thanks to someone that brought you a three peat?
Dont get me wrong. I love Shaq. But i love the Laker franchise even more. This IS a business. That's why it would be franchise suicide if the Lakers were to extend Shaq at MAX money for three more seasons. They would be paying a 37 year old center Max money. That's crazy. The Lakers have had Shaq for the best years of his career. We thank him and love him for what he's done for the franchise. However, change has to come someday. Its better on the franchise's behalf if they begin to think about building around a 24 year old Kobe Bryant.

If and when his legal troubles are cleared up.(Which i FIRMLY believe they will be), and the Lakers are able to resign him to a 7 year deal. That would mean they would have had Kobe for the best years of his career. With that deal ending when he's 31, and still would have more years left in him. That's being a smart franchise. Sometimes in business you have to make tough decisions. I dont want the Lakers to go through what the Celts did when they let foolish loyalty get in the way of them making the decisions that were in the best interest of the franchise. Keeping Mchale,Bird,Parrish and company around far too long really screwed them up. They still are paying for those decisions.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
it depends if the cavs want to win now or later. With shaq and lebron in the esat they will easilyt make it to the finals and challenge for the championship for at least the next three years. But with boozer they have a team that will be a playoff team in a few years.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
I seriously doubt the Lakers will ever trade Shaq, unless he demands a trade, or they get an absolutely unbelievable offer (which is unlikely because he is getting old). I think Shaq will stay in LA as long as he wants. Laker fans would not appreciate the team trading the most dominant player in the league.

If he was to be traded, they would have to get a superstar in return, no question.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Originally posted by <b>RebelSun</b>!
I seriously doubt the Lakers will ever trade Shaq, unless he demands a trade, or they get an absolutely unbelievable offer (which is unlikely because he is getting old). I think Shaq will stay in LA as long as he wants. Laker fans would not appreciate the team trading the most dominant player in the league.
You are probably right, although I think Sha-Kobe O'Bryant is right that it would likely be in their best interests to dump Shaq, as he is quite clearly (to me) over the hill.

If he was to be traded, they would have to get a superstar in return, no question.
Wrong, no one would trade a superstar for him, but if Shaq were on the block they would definitely get far more than Carlos Boozer for him.

·
Pat Burke's Hair Tonic
513 Posts
Post of the day.
Originally posted by <b>Big John</b>!
How about:

The Lakers trade:

Shaq

The Cavs trade:

The entire City of Cleveland

I think it works under the CBA.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ArtestFan</b>!
You are probably right, although I think Sha-Kobe O'Bryant is right that it would likely be in their best interests to dump Shaq, as he is quite clearly (to me) over the hill.

Wrong, no one would trade a superstar for him, but if Shaq were on the block they would definitely get far more than Carlos Boozer for him.
The Lakers would not trade Shaq unless they got HUGE compensation. Try Boozer, LeBron, and Z to start, for them to consider trading the most dominant player in the game.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
LeBron has 10 times the trade value of Shaq.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ArtestFan</b>!
LeBron has 10 times the trade value of Shaq.
That's a little exagerrated. Shaq is still Shaq when he's healthy. He's the most dominant player in the game. LeBron won't win games for a few more years. Shaq can win championships right now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts