Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll explain it later, if for some reason it gets completely trashed (I don't have time to explain it now), but I think it helps all teams involved (I just modified the original Knicks/Blazers one I read somewhere, probably here). It works under the cap.

Knicks trade: Spreewell and Ward
Knicks get: Damon Stoudamire, Marc Jackson, and Peeler

Blazers trade: Stoudamire and Derek Anderson
Blazers get: Spreewell and Ward

T'Wolves trade: Marc Jackson and Peeler.
T'Wolves get: Derek Anderson

·
Registered
13,950 Posts
why would portland do this trade? the knicks get some size and upgrade the point guard a little so i guess that would work. and the twolves get a good 2nd or 3rd scorer to play with garnett and wally. but it doesn't really improve portland. ward is a downgrade at point and though spreewell is better than anderson he isn't any younger. so the overall talent they get is about equal but is older and don't have cheaper contracts. i don't get it.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Portland dumps Stoudamire, who's going to be causing problems if he doesn't start, and I can't imagine the market for Stoudamire being very good. That's almost reason enough to do the trade.

Spreewell gives them a very tough defender to backup Wells, and play alongside him when Portland decides to go smaller/quicker. It gives them one of the best collection of perimeter defenders in the league.

Also, granted it is Portland so the luxury tax hasn't ever been much of a concern... but they do save significant money in terms of lengths of contracts. Spreewell and Stoudamire's contracts are identical, but Anderson's contract is much longer than Ward's (and Anderson will always be a backup in Portland).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts