Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you trade Iverson straight up for Steve Francis? Of course, throw in some fodder to balance out the contracts but the primary players would be those two.

I gotta a feeling Stevie Franchise is wearing out his welcome in Orlando and I don't think Orlando will be his last stop. Lets keep in mind the Magic's GM is a former hockey GM.

As much as I love Iverson, I would pull the trigger on this deal. For one, AI is an aging superstar who's body has taken a beating over the yrs. He's in his 9th season and he still has high trade value. We'll be getting another All-star PG who's only in his 6th season and in the prime of his career.

What'd yall thinK?

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
I would never trade Iverson unless I'm getting an upper tier superstar like T-Mac, KG, Shaq, Duncan and since their teams won't make that deal I never trade Iverson. He's just the most gritty, hard working, determined, amazing player I've ever seen. He single handedly led a team to the Finals and took a game off that rediculously good Lakers team. The ages aren't that far off either are they?

·
Best non-Yankee 4 17 Yrs!
2,480 Posts
You're going to trade a guy who lead a lackluster team to the NBA Finals, leads the league in points per game and has won league MVP for a guy who is a convicted ball hog with not nearly the talent and a much lower assist per turnover ratio while never being able to make the playoffs unless it is on the back of a 7'5" center?

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
AI is so far above the Franchise they aren't even really comparable, IMO.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hell no. Iverson is much too good for Francis. U think I would trade Iverson who leads all scorers for a stinky Francis? I don't even like Iverson. I like T-Mac the best but i gotta argue for Iverson in this one. This trade doesn't even make sense.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PHILADELPHIA - He would never do it. That's what everyone assumes when it comes to Billy King and the one move he could make to turn the Sixers into something more than what they are now - a possible playoff team. There's one card King has left, but no one around him believes he'll play it.

If the Sixers' victory in Washington on Saturday - a game they won without Allen Iverson and Chris Webber - didn't persuade King to think hard about this franchise's future, maybe tonight's game against Boston will. Should the Sixers win tonight in a similar fashion, should they rise to one game of the Atlantic Division lead without Iverson and his sprained thumbs, King should start considering the one course of action for 2005-06 that he won't dare discuss publicly.

He should trade Iverson this offseason.

"We've got a four-game winning streak going," King, the Sixers' president and general manager, said Monday. "Why would you want to bring up any negativity?"

Why? Because improving the Sixers' chances of winning an NBA title is presumably King's primary goal, and the team's current situation, is positive only in the shortest of terms. This winning streak has succeeded only in pushing the Sixers to seventh place in the Eastern Conference. If they remain there at season's end, an early playoff exit at the hands of the defending NBA champions, the Detroit Pistons, surely awaits them.

Then what? Under the status quo, the Sixers still will be trying to the solve the square-peg, round-hole puzzle of building a championship-caliber team around a 5-10 guard who takes more than 24 shots a game and makes less than 10. Only this time, Iverson will be 30, and the term aging superstar will fit him far better than his favorite pair of baggy jeans ever did.

The warnings against trading Iverson have stayed the same for some time: He's all the Sixers have, he's the reason fans pay to watch them, and besides, the Sixers will never receive full value in exchange for him. Those arguments held up better years ago, when Iverson and Larry Brown were leading a pro basketball renaissance here. But now, even with Iverson, the Sixers are hovering around .500, and the Wachovia Center has never seemed so cavernous. Whatever allure Iverson once had to pull fans into his home arena has faded. His novelty here is gone now, and if he were to be traded, there would be no wreckage left in his wake, as there was when Charles Barkley left - at least nothing worse than what is here now.

Remember: The Sixers still would have Webber, Marc Jackson and a young core - Andre Iguodala, Kyle Korver, Samuel Dalembert and Willie Green - that might never fully flourish so long as Iverson stays. In making Iverson the team's primary ball-handler, coach Jim O'Brien has proven no more proficient than his predecessors in diversifying the Sixers' offense. Korver, Iguodala and Dalembert average a combined 22 shots per game - two fewer than the player who is supposed to be the team's point guard. Whenever Iverson is healthy, Green, whom O'Brien has called the Sixers' best on-the-ball defender, can't find his way onto the floor. Yes, Iverson's points and assists are up this season, but so are his turnovers, and he is still the alpha and omega of every offensive possession - and still a defensive liability because of his size.

Nevertheless, because Iverson is leading the league in scoring again, because his body hasn't completely broken down yet, he has more market value now than he will ever have again. Send him to Seattle in a sign-and-trade for Ray Allen, or to New Orleans, who might be willing to put together a package that includes talented rookie J.R. Smith and center Jamaal Magloire, and the Sixers instantly become a bigger team, and one more suited to playing O'Brien's spread-the-floor offense and rotation defense.

This article is the argument I was trying to make. The trade doesn't have to be with Steve Francis. I frankly prefer Willie Green over him. But the question had to be asked? Should we be like the Chicago Bulls and rebuild for years and yrs after both Jordan & Pippen left?

AI's stock is the highest it'll ever be and he'll be turning 30 pretty soon. The punishment he takes during games is worrisome and makes you wonder how much longer can this phenomenal undersized baller endure?

Don't hate the messenger, I'm an AI fan too, but I also love the Sixers and don't want us to be a lousy team like the one we had after we lost Barkley. Remember those yrs Sixer fans???

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
AI is a tough player, age doesnt mean anything to him and never will. The thought of trading the highest candidate for MVP for a ball hogger who constantly turns the ball over and didn't even make the all star game this year!! This thread is outrageous.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
philly is doing fine with AI. I don't see why trading him would make anything better....Webber and Steve would be a horrible fit. Webber passes the ball, Steve doesn't.

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
No way alleninsf! That's a terrible idea. I know people have been saying trade Iverson for ages, but I really don't think we would do any better and in fact we would be SO much worse with Francis. That player really has an attitude problem, and I know Iverson does too, but at least it's not on the court problems.

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
urwhatueati8god said:
You're going to trade a guy who lead a lackluster team to the NBA Finals, leads the league in points per game and has won league MVP for a guy who is a convicted ball hog with not nearly the talent and a much lower assist per turnover ratio while never being able to make the playoffs unless it is on the back of a 7'5" center?
pretty much sums it all up right there.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Not for Steve Francis, because that's not bettering our situation. I'd need some draft picks, and some players. I'd take Corey Maggette and a package from the Clippers.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
PhillyPhanatic said:
Not for Steve Francis, because that's not bettering our situation. I'd need some draft picks, and some players. I'd take Corey Maggette and a package from the Clippers.
Really? If they lose out on Allen, and can retain Simmons, I bet they do that trade.

Maggette + picks for AI.

AI would pack the place, and he does a good job of getting more from his teammates...

-Petey

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'd trade AI for the entire Magic team.

·
Registered
382 Posts
That trade is a horrible idea. You make it sound like AI is washed up when really Stevie Franchise is the one who has been consistantly letting teams down. AI has never been traded obviously, where as Francis has already been involved with three deals including what was at the time a draft day steal for Antonio Daniels. AI is a franchise player you dont just trade them, unless you get a franchise player back not an overated point guard who is clearly hurting the devlopment of Dwight Howard. See ya steve but not for AI maybe if their lucky Corey Maggette

·
Registered
40 Posts
bad idea, iverson needs to stay in philly and continue to let his game rub off on the young talent they have like iggy and korv, same with francis on nelson since they have a similar style of play, but francis is more expendable for the magics then iverson is for the 6ers

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Francis for Iverson? Yeah right! I really like Francis, but his trade value is so low right now that it's hard to find a trade fair to both sides. If orlando is smart, they'll hold on to him.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts