Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.nypost.com/sports/16117.htm

The Wizards and Clippers are talking seriously about swapping Brevin Knight for Keyon Dooling and Melvin Ely, I'm told.
Not sure how this trade really helps us. Ely is a nice big body, and maybe we'd be considering him as insurance if we don't keep Etan in free agency?

Or maybe we've got another trade lined up and we're going to use this one to make up for what we trade?

Or maybe it's just a bunch of Peter Vecsey nonsense.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Doesn't sound bad really. If the team is more interested in getting a backup PF/C and cutting ~2.2 million at the end of the season (Dooling's contract) instead of cutting 5 million at the end of the season (Knight's contract). Doesn't sound great either, but if the team isn't interested in resigning Etan, then Ely would make an okay backup. Pretty much everything out of the NY Post is garbage though from what I've seen, so I'll take this as I would someone from this board posting a trade idea.

On a semi-related noted, what do people think we're going to do with Etan this off-season? He looked great to open up the year, and I was worried he was going to command more money than we'd want to pay him. However, he has pulled a major vanishing act lately it has seemed. He doesn't even play much anymore, maybe 16-18 MPG. I think there's a good chance he goes somewhere else, and we'll use the draft to select his replacement.

·
Registered
741 Posts
That would be a very good trade for the wizards. I think both those clippers are athletic players who could become good

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Etan may very well get an MLE offer this offseason. And if he does, the Wizards should let him go. With Haywoods emergence, we don't need Etan.

I like the trade because Ely is a much better player than Jared Jeffries. He's a decent backup and he has a little bit of a post game.

·
Registered
996 Posts
well if ely is a better player, why didn't we draft him instead of JJ? comon jj's gonna improve, he'll be good.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
you can't really say haywood has emerged. he's still the inconsistant center he has always been. he's just putting up better numbers every once and awhile. etan is a good backup center, i say we keep him.

on the knight trade, it doesn't look that great. dooling is a crappy offensive AND defensive point guard. he's also small, and we don't want anymore tiny guards. also ely is pretty boring too statistical wise. 4.4 ppg 3.20 rpg? disgusting. let's stick with knight and search for another trade which evolves our backup guards for some backup centers.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
What makes anyone think Jeffries is going to be good? Hey I was his biggest supporter, but he's shown me nothing this season. He's a liabiity on offense, always getting his shot blocked and turning the ball over, and he's too small to guard other PF's.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Originally posted by <b>bballer27</b>!
thats a horrible trade for the clips.
Saves them $5 million this offseason. That'd be the reason for them doing it. It would also stabilize their PG spot for the rest of the season.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
I don't care either way, though I do not mind having Brevin Knight on this team, especially to run the point late in games if Arenas needs a breather.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by <b>BCH</b>!
I don't care either way, though I do not mind having Brevin Knight on this team, especially to run the point late in games if Arenas needs a breather.
That's why the trade is a bad one. He's not great, but he's a savvy vet. We've got plenty of too young players already.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
I'd pass on this trade!.. Don't get me wrong.. Knight's a savvy point, who'd help!.. Let's not fool oursleve's, though.. He still wouldn't start for the Clipps!.. Personally.. I'm not ready to give up on Dools, just yet!.. He's really never been given a chance.. Then again.. He's never really deserved one either.. Ely on the other hand, will only see spot min's in LA.. So I could see the reasoning behing dealing him.. But.. I'd rather acquire a pick in return, instead of putting all our hope on clearing cap space for pipe dream's!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts