Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On today's NBA Rumor Mill on Hoopsworld the December 15th day that signed players can be traded brought up a likely scenario.
December 15th is a magic day in the NBA, it’s the 1st day players who signed contracts this summer can be dealt in trade, meaning it’s the 1st day the New York Knicks can deal Jerome James (likely to the Blazers for Ruben Patterson)....
LINK

·
Wolves Enthusiast
6,038 Posts
I don't see why the Blazers would want to take on James' weight, attitude, and horrible contract....

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Not gonna happen why would we want Jerome he's a lazy shoot first pass later person.Ruben at least provides an offensive spark when he comes in.The only reason this would get done is to clear cap space.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Zidane said:
Not gonna happen why would we want Jerome he's a lazy shoot first pass later person.Ruben at least provides an offensive spark when he comes in.The only reason this would get done is to clear cap space.

Ruben offensive spark? The Ruben I see is the black-hole-Ruben on offense that plays out of control. Yes he at least hustles on defense, which is more than I can say about James.

Terrible trade if it was to be done straight up. 5 more years versus 1. Yeah I'd take the 1.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
I don't see why Portland would be interested in a 5 year deal that James has right now. I would think that they wouldn't want anything longer than 3 years. Don't see this going down.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
It (the proposed trade - James for Patterson) provides some insurance should Joel NOT re-sign with Portland next offseason. I hope Joel stays. His upside seems more promising to me. Too many years commitment and dollars compared to production for James IMO.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
It should be noted that specific trade does not work Ruben for Jerome

Ruben makes $6.35 but with his trade kicker its $8.32 mil or so

Jerome makes $5 mil this year, with 4 more years of $5.4, $5.8, $6.2, $6.6 mil left

NY is over the cap and can not absorb the difference in salary. The new CBA rules allows them to take in 25% more than they send out. So they can take back $6.25 mil roughly.

Ruben makes far more than that with his trade kicker. So they will need to send another player

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Trader Bob said:

Jerome makes $5 mil this year, with 4 more years of $5.4, $5.8, $6.2, $6.6 mil left

NY is over the cap and can not absorb the difference in salary. The new CBA rules allows them to take in 25% more than they send out. So they can take back $6.25 mil roughly.

Ruben makes far more than that with his trade kicker. So they will need to send another player
OK - have NY throw in Frye and James for Patterson!!

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
frye :D

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Trader Bob said:

THe Trade Kicker doesn't IIRC affect the trade value, but is simply a Bonus paid to the player.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
yes, 15% of the remaining value of total contract, in Ruben's case..... paid at the time of trade

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I know I've stated my opinion of James in the past. However, just to clarify, I would rather play Juan Dixon as the Center position all season then trade for Jerome James.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts