Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D good news to hear. I heard a quote from Walsh saying it would have to be an "incredible" deal for al to be traded. Carlisle said that Artest isn't going anywhere either.

Q. Is Ron Artest on the trading block as ESPN.Com's Chad Ford has reported? If so, why and what type of player or draft picks would Larry Bird like to get in return for Artest? (From Travis in Bloomington, IN)

A. There has been no shortage of headlines spawning trade rumors involving the Pacers in recent weeks. But the report to which you refer (ESPN Insider, Jan. 8) actually had the most accurate portrayal of the situation: that neither Ron Artest nor Al Harrington is on the trading block. Ford quoted two league sources saying the team wasn’t interested in moving Artest, and quoted a team source as well as franchise CEO Donnie Walsh in denying the Harrington reports. A reality that many of the rumor-spreaders conveniently overlook is that Artest is virtually un-tradeable this season because his contract is subject to NBA base-year compensation rules. Essentially, this means the Pacers could only trade Artest to a team under the salary cap, and could only receive in return a player whose salary is half of Artest’s (reportedly $5.2 million). Some rumors focus on Harrington because he isn’t starting, which engenders a perception that the team could afford to part with him. But he’s third on the Pacers in minutes and scoring and has been the only consistent second-unit scorer. Harrington wants to start, but apparently has accepted his Sixth Man role and is thriving as a result. And here’s something else the trade-rumor reports seem to miss: there isn’t exactly a sense of urgency to break up the team with the best record in the Eastern Conference.

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
there isn’t exactly a sense of urgency to break up the team with the best record in the Eastern Conference.
That's exactly what I was going to say before I got down that far. We have a good shot at winning the championship this year. Why would we break that up?

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
Originally posted by <b>PacersguyUSA</b>!

That's exactly what I was going to say before I got down that far. We have a good shot at winning the championship this year. Why would we break that up?
If Kobe goes to jail, Webber doesn't come back, Hedo gets injured, then yes we have a great shot a ring. In reality i can see us only winning the East this year. I am glad though that the rumors are false, though denying something about trade rumors isn't always the truth as if you said the player is unavailable. I can still see Harrington getting traded this year with Bender's return.

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
If Kobe goes to jail, Webber doesn't come back, Hedo gets injured, then yes we have a great shot a ring. In reality i can see us only winning the East this year. I am glad though that the rumors are false, though denying something about trade rumors isn't always the truth as if you said the player is unavailable. I can still see Harrington getting traded this year with Bender's return.
Yes, the Lakers pose a challenge, but we can very realistically beat the Spurs and Kings. We would of the beat of Kings (most likely) if the refs were cheap ***es and we really, really, should have won the Spurs game.

I know you can't just say "should" all the time, but Carlisls wouldn't let that happen again. On paper we destroy the Spurs (The only matchup they really win is PF). The Kings we can shut down with our defense.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I don't really like the Spurs, so I agree with you. But the Spurs also handily win point guard with Tony Parker and Charlie Ward vs Tinsley and whatever terrible player is his backup. Might change if Tinsley keeps up his play though. And center's probably a push.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
i agree

I agree.....

I mean, if somethings not broke, dont fix it.

This team can play, and They are winning... besides the fact they have the best record in the league.. Why trade?

I mean, Artest has been playing HUGE. His defensive pressure will be very useful if the Pacers make it out of the east.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I can't help but to think that the Pacers are still one piece away from a puzzle that could beat anyone, I know that the Pacers are looking good( the only team I think would really be above and beyond the Pacers in the finals is a healthy Lakers), but think a little bit of tinkering might be in order now that Jonathan Bender is healthy. Fact is Bender, Harrington, and a few others are tradeable if the right move comes along. Just don't see anyone waiting in line to trade and make Indy better right now.

·
Registered
885 Posts
a trade right now would be stupid. we have an excellent squad of guys and most teams would love to have the crew we have right now. i don't really see benders return having any significant impact on harrington. al has proven himself and bender hasn't. rick is not too big on giving playing time to someone just because they could be great. but it is nice to see bender is able to play again. this season is nearly half way over and i got really sick of seeing him in street clothes. he makes far too much cash to be the honorary manager. good luck bender.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is no reason why we can't win the finals. We have an excellent defense, big scorers, and finally a stable good pg. We could go 7 games with anyone in the West. I don't think it stops after the conference finals for us. We've shown what we're about against the west powerhouses. Went down to the wire with the kings and spurs. We've beaten the T'wolves by 20+. The only thing I am worried about is a healthy lakers team.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.