Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
what is that Orlando's writer obsession with shot-blocking???

every single bigman mentioned in the article, also had something to say about him like 'but he's not a good shot blocker'

is that really a weakness for the Magic?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Tracy McGrady led Orlando with .96 blocks a game last year. He also led them in rebounding with 7.9 rpg. Horace Grant was 2nd at 6.3 rpg.

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
A team needs rebounders more than shot-blockers.

Shot blocking can alter the look of a game, with "presence in the paint", but it's more of an intangible thing.

If the Magic had an intimidating shot blocking presence... what an incredible team they could have been.

Someone like... Shaquille O'Neal. Good thing he never slipped through their fingers. Oh wait.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
A player who can block the shot of the person he's guarding is more valuable than the player who is only a "help defense" blocker.

All else being equal:

Value of shot blockers:

block own man > block other's man > block no man

With at least one of EC & TC probably being on the floor at all times and since both can block shots, rebounding seems more important in whomever the Bull get as a backup frontcourt player to me.

·
Is not afraid of shadows!
5,094 Posts
The Magic also are looking at the option of not making a trade and strengthening their frontcourt by signing veteran Charles Oakley to a one-year deal, which would allow them to maintain significant salary cap flexibility for next summer.

Oakley, 38, isn't the player he once was, but he still could provide the toughness the Magic need, along with some help in rebounding. Although his first choice is to join the Los Angeles Lakers, they have been luckwarm with their interest. His second choice is Orlando, and he has told the Magic he would sign for the veteran minimum of $1 million.

"Money is not an issue with him anymore," said Billy Diamond, Oakley's business manager. "It's about winning."
Though I've always considered John Gabriel an idiot, I didn't think even he would consider signing Oak. Talk about your Geriatric front line! Didn't he learn anything by bringing in Horace and Patrick at the end of their careers?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts