Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone think of this trade?

Memphis trades to Seattle:
PF Stromile Swift (11.8 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 0.7apg in 26.5 minutes)
SG Michael Dickerson (10.8 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 2.3 apg in 31.0 minutes)

Seattle trades to Memphis:
SG Brent Barry (14.4 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 5.3 apg in 37.5 minutes)
C Calvin Booth (6.2 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 1.1 apg in 18.6 minutes)

Memphis Roster:
PG Jason Williams, Brevin Knight, Earl Watson, Eddie Gill
SG Brent Barry, Wesley Person, Gordan Giriceck
SF Shane Battier, Drew Gooden, Wesley Person
PF Pau Gasol, Drew Gooden, Calvin Booth, Tony Massenberg
C Lorenzon Wright, Calvin Booth, Tony Massenberg, Robert Archibald, Cesar Trybanski

Seattle Roster
PG Gary Payton, Kenny Anderson
SG Desmond Mason, Michael Dickerson, Joseph Forte
SF Rashard Lewis, Desmond Mason,
PF Stromile Swift, Vladimir Radmonavich, Vitaly Potapenko
C Jerome James, Vitaly Potapenko, Predrag Drobnjak

I like this trade for both teams. Seattle has an abundance of outside scoring and no inside prescence (if they resign Rashard Lewis), and Memphis has a logjam at PF. Also, Seattle has like 4 Centers and no real PFs, so it solves two problems. I think this trade helps out both teams, but as a Memphis fan I obviously made it with Memphis in mind. If this trade went down I think Memphis would be able to make the playoffs next year, with a very deep team. I think if Desmond Mason develops into the player everyone wants him to be then Seattle could be in a very good position after this trade. I'd love to hear everybody's opinions.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Don't like really, reason being becuase if MikeD comes back healthy he avg 15 a game and at least 10 and 9 for Lorenzen if he healthy. Now Brent Barry would be nice to have and at the expense of MikeD and LoDaddy is not good for us. Booth is I believe an overrated player he has never done much and is being paid about 5 mil a year.Thanks but no thanks!

·
Registered
71 Posts
That trade is not too reasonable. The Grizzlies would be trading away two young players with potential for two overrated veterans who are past their prime. This trade might look to be in the Grizzlies favor for a year or two, but in the long run this would look like a foolish trade that would help Seattle greatly.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by <b>spartansfan223</b>!
That trade is not too reasonable. The Grizzlies would be trading away two young players with potential for two overrated veterans who are past their prime. This trade might look to be in the Grizzlies favor for a year or two, but in the long run this would look like a foolish trade that would help Seattle greatly.
You might not like this trade, but in no way possible is Brent Barry overrated. He had a monster year last year and NOBODY notices it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
That would be a bad trade to me. Why are so many people so content on giving up on Swift so early. If I was going to get rid of Swift and Dickerson, it wouldn't be for either of those two players, especially Booth. Man, Booth wasn't worth much of nothing in college and he's been just as bad in the NBA. Dude, I don't know if you've ever watched Booth's game, but it's limited in all aspects. And also, let's give Dickerson another chance because we really didn't get to see how valuable he can be for this team from the injury he suffered last season. And another thing, Seattle wouldn't make a trade for him anyway because of the uncertainty about whether he's fully healed from that injury. I really think that we're done with all of the trading we're going to do this off-season until the middle of the season rolls around.

·
Registered
42 Posts
People are so quick to offer Mike D as trade bait. We need to give him this season. It's like he'll be a new player to us Memphians. We only saw him 3 or 4 games last year. I really think he'll come out with 'fire in his eyes' this season.

G

·
I'm a Sonics fan and I would love this trade. Seeing Dickerson playing back in his hometown would be great. And here's some information for you on Mike D.
As some of you know, he is the top player on the Grizzlies in physical fitness. He was tops on the team again in the physical tests. Since his injury he's been working out harder than ever and has increased his weight to around the 225 lb mark, up from his usual 185-200 lbs. And it's all muscle. Because of the nature of his injury, he says he's added mostly core strength, and strength to his upper legs. Even though he has one of the most explosive first steps in the league, he claims because the improvement in his thighs, he's become a step quicker yet. He felt in the past that sometimes when he went for rebounds he got muscled out by bigger players, but he feels that he'll be better at rebounding as well because of his improved strength. He says that he's cutting at full speed and there are no signs of his injury left.
You can choose to believe me or not, but I have it right from the horses mouth. He spends a fair bit of time up here in Vancouver in the offseason. I'm hoping that Jerry West feels the same way about him that some Memphis fans do and will move him back home to Seattle. I can't wait to see him unleashed on the league this season. I watched every game he played in Vancouver, and if he's stronger and quicker as he says he is, then watch out.
I would also love to see Swift back in the Pacific Northwest. Yes, his basketball IQ leaves alot to be desired, but man, tell me what other players can outdo him in the athleticism department. Some of the moves and physical talents he displays are awesome. He would be a great fit on a team like Seattle that plays an open style of game, and with a great teacher type of coach like Nate McMillan, he just might flourish. Sidney Lowe spent more time yelling at him than trying to instruct him. It's a bit of a gamble, but one I would take in a second.
If the Grizzlies don't feel comfortable with Booth, then just wait the required 60 days, and ask for Jerome James instead of Booth.
Put Payton with Dickerson, Swift with Lewis and/or Desmond Mason, and that's fast company.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Great Post Dowtown

It's good to see Dickerson staying in shape and looking better then ever physically.

PS: You should edit your options and allow Private Messages I was about to send you one. ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Downtown, I've got to tell ya (southern slang here) after reading your 'insider' post concernig Dickerson, no way we let him go. We (Memphis) only saw him a handfull of games last season. I've heard he's gonna be in the best shape of his life this year. We'd be fools to let him go.

G

·
I must agree that the fans of Memphis never really got to have a full look at him last year. When he got traded to Vancouver as part of the Steve Francis deal, so many of us were seeing red at being snubbed by Francis that we never really looked too hard at what we got back. Dickerson, Othella Harrington, and the Rockets first round pick ( by the way, I watched Yao Ming make his North American debut on friday here against team Canada, and he wasn't too impressive) worked out nicely, especially if the Rockets don't improve and the Grizzlies do, leaving you with their higher pick while you give the lower one away to Detroit( I could give you quite a history lesson on the Otis Thorpe trade that cost the Grizzlies the pick).
The thing about Dickerson is that he can play both inside and out just as good, while Wesley Person is strickly a shooter( and Dickersons shot has such a nice, high, arc on it , it seems like it's not going to reach the rim then falls soft as butter through the net). Some Memphis posters both here and on other sites question his defence, but that's actually one of his stronger points. I can remember watching him guard Kobe Bryant one game so well that Kobe made a special mention after the game that it was as good as anyone has ever guarded him. Because he's so quick, few players can get around him by speed alone.
But like I said, I would love to see him come back home. I know he's going to be building an oceanfront home in the Seattle area. But if him and Jason Williams get on the same page early in the season ( I hope Williams gets him the ball when he's open and doesn't try to overhandle it) then that will be a good backcourt and make Jerry West forget about trading him.
But I stiil think that after watching the Grizzlies since game one, they have always been cursed with having great young talent with all the tools, but no tool box, meaning they never have had a good coach for a long time to properly give them the system and direction needed to make young talent gel as a team. That's why I think players such as Brent Barry and Calvin Booth would be a good, settling presence for them.
Ironically, Lionel Hollins was in my opinion the best coach the Grizzlies have had, even though he wasn't there that long. I know both Dickerson and Bibby went out of their way to say how much he did for them. Maybe having him back as an assistant will be good. It's just my personal opinion, but I never cared for Sidney Lowe's style and the way he used players(on the court that is).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts