Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard that the Clippers are looking to move Corey Maggette and Chris Wilcox (due to the improved play of Bobby Simmons and Chris Kaman) and I thought that they would be a great match here in Toronto. Chris Wilcox gives us a young, athletic (read Non-Araujo-like) centre with potential, and Maggette would give us a young shooting guard. A starting line-up of Wilcox, Bosh, Rose, Maggette, and a point guard from the 2005 draft would have way more potential than Araujo, Bosh, Rose, Peterson, Alston. (A bit weak defensively from pg to SF though).

To Toronto:
Corey Maggette
Chris Wilcox

To LA:
Rafer Alston
Morris Peterson
Pape Sow

Rafer would fit with LA as a point guard to take over for Jaric (free agent?) as Livingston develops and and MoPete would give them a good defensive presence on the perimeter. Pape Sow is just potential (future backup to Brand?) right now, nothing more.

Only problem I see is that it's probably just not enough for LA to bite, as Rafer's contract is a bit long and has developed a rep as a locker room cancer. Also, with Palacio a free agent, leaves Toronto thin at guard positions if Alvin Williams can't go. But we have two first rounders, so we can pick up a shooting guard in the draft as well (Internationals Rudy Fernandez, Tripkovic? Stoudamire from Arizona in the 2nd round?)

Any comments on the trade, in terms of talent levels, salaries, etc?
Are there other teams in the league interested in Wilcox and Maggette?
Also, Any other ideas on how to make this trade work?

·
Registered
942 Posts
foul_balls said:
I heard that the Clippers are looking to move Corey Maggette and Chris Wilcox (due to the improved play of Bobby Simmons and Chris Kaman) and I thought that they would be a great match here in Toronto. Chris Wilcox gives us a young, athletic (read Non-Araujo-like) centre with potential, and Maggette would give us a young shooting guard. A starting line-up of Wilcox, Bosh, Rose, Maggette, and a point guard from the 2005 draft would have way more potential than Araujo, Bosh, Rose, Peterson, Alston. (A bit weak defensively from pg to SF though).

To Toronto:
Corey Maggette
Chris Wilcox

To LA:
Rafer Alston
Morris Peterson
Pape Sow

Rafer would fit with LA as a point guard to take over for Jaric (free agent?) as Livingston develops and and MoPete would give them a good defensive presence on the perimeter. Pape Sow is just potential (future backup to Brand?) right now, nothing more.

Only problem I see is that it's probably just not enough for LA to bite, as Rafer's contract is a bit long and has developed a rep as a locker room cancer. Also, with Palacio a free agent, leaves Toronto thin at guard positions if Alvin Williams can't go. But we have two first rounders, so we can pick up a shooting guard in the draft as well (Internationals Rudy Fernandez, Tripkovic? Stoudamire from Arizona in the 2nd round?)

Any comments on the trade, in terms of talent levels, salaries, etc?
Are there other teams in the league interested in Wilcox and Maggette?
Also, Any other ideas on how to make this trade work?
Dream on, no way the Clippers do this, unless you throw in some picks at a minimum.

·
STL4LIFE
5,841 Posts
no wont do it kaman and magette re good starters and wilcox and simmons give them good depth off the bench.

If you like Wilcox hope we draft Chris Taft cuse he is very similar to Wilcox.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Osman,

You're right but look at the bottom five teams in the league. Who really has something else to offer? Atlanta, New Orleans, Portland, Milwaukee and New York can't offer much. The knicks have Ariza, Sweetney, and K Thomas. New Orleans has Jamaal Magloire and Claxton, but the Clips already have Kaman. Atlanta and Portland have nothing. The only good teams that I see might make a deal would be Indiana or Minnesota. Who do they give up?

Would you do it if we give up 2 first-rounders? I think that is a bit too much for Maggette and Wilcox. You could get someone even better in the first round than them, just with a bit more uncertainty. At most, one first rounder.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
no way we trade Pape Sow, forget that...he is too RAW to trade...if he ends up good we look bad...he isnt going anywhere....

·
STL4LIFE
5,841 Posts
I like Sow and from small bits think he can be decent contributor off the bench.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I'm pretty sure they could get more for those two then what you proposed. Corey Maggette is a real good defender just like Mo Pete, but he puts up 22ppg and 6rpg. Wilcox like you said is an athletic big man that should be a starter throughout his career. Even Sow is only projected to be a solid bench contributer (hopefully). The package we offered and a first is possible. But still unlikely.

Anyways, ya I doubt such a trade will go through.

-lata

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Alston Isn't Goin To The West Coast Period.

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
Great trade for us. Pretty unrealistic, though, I think. I don't think we could've landed Maggette with Carter, so I doubt we'll get him with a package of Skip, Pete, and Sow, especially along with the uberathletic Chris Wilcox.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, you guys are right. I just read another article that said the Clips were hoping to get Ray Allen or Michael Redd for those two. (My pipe dream for theirs.)

I don't know, though. Carter for Maggette and Wilcox would have been better than the deal that was made. The clips already have a good draft pick this year, and have been drafting high for years - without any good results. The only reason the clips might not have done it would be Carter's age in relation to Livinston's.

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
I don't know what the salaries match up without fillers or if there is BYC considerations but how about Mo Pete for DMiles? Doesn't seem too unreasonable for either team. We're covered for a long, athletic 3, leaving us to go big and small in the draft. Portland gets a veteran, defensive 2 with a good outside shot and a reasonable contract.

Rafer/Deron
Jalen/Ewill/second rounder
DMiles/Bonner
Bosh/Sow
Hoffa/Shelden

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
SkywalkerAC said:
I don't know what the salaries match up without fillers or if there is BYC considerations but how about Mo Pete for DMiles? Doesn't seem too unreasonable for either team. We're covered for a long, athletic 3, leaving us to go big and small in the draft. Portland gets a veteran, defensive 2 with a good outside shot and a reasonable contract.

Rafer/Deron
Jalen/Ewill/second rounder
DMiles/Bonner
Bosh/Sow
Hoffa/Shelden
I don't really trust Miles. One of those guys who should be a lot better than he is. Questionable commitment.

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
speedythief said:
I don't really trust Miles. One of those guys who should be a lot better than he is. Questionable commitment.
True, but I don't think he's probably closer to a franchise SF than Mo is. We want to get up and down the floor, we want length and athleticism. Miles hasn't been in the best of situations and needs some stability and leadership. He's still very young.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Jalen Rose might be a good tutor for Miles. I know they have completely different games/builds, but if Jalen could teach Miles a few post moves Miles would be deadly. They're both tall swingmen.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
I really think Miles would thrive here as well. Don't like his new contract, but with our uptempo style, I could really see Miles having success here. He also has a lot of defensive potential. I think Portland would really go for that trade too, they really need a shooting guard.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts