Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are rumors that the Houston Rockets are trying to unload Steve Francis becase he can't get along with Jeff Van Gundy and his system, and they feel that his style of play doesn't fit in with Yao Ming. Francis was suspended by Van Gundy this week because he missed a team flight.

So how about this deal to get Franchise:

Houston trades: PG Steve Francis (16.7 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 5.9 apg in 39.7 minutes)
PF Maurice Taylor (12.1 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 1.3 apg in 28.1 minutes)
SF Eric Piatkowski (4.8 ppg, 1.6 rpg, 0.5 apg in 17.0 minutes)
Houston receives: PF Antonio Davis (8.6 ppg, 9.0 rpg, 1.6 apg in 32.2 minutes)
PF Tyson Chandler (10.7 ppg, 8.9 rpg, 0.9 apg in 25.3 minutes)
SG Jamal Crawford (17.1 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 5.5 apg in 34.9 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +2.8 ppg, +8.4 rpg, and +0.3 apg.

Chicago trades: PF Antonio Davis (8.6 ppg, 9.0 rpg, 1.6 apg in 32.2 minutes)
Chicago receives: PG Steve Francis (16.7 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 5.9 apg in 47 games)
PF Maurice Taylor (12.1 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 1.3 apg in 42 games)
SF Eric Piatkowski (4.8 ppg, 1.6 rpg, 0.5 apg in 27 games)
Change in team outlook: -2.8 ppg, -8.4 rpg, and -0.3 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Why the Bulls would do it: Stevie Franchise!! We can move him to the 2 guard position (which is his natural position) alongside with Kirk in the backcourt. Stevie can be as good as Allen Iverson in the east. Don't be fooled by his numbers this year. He is forced to play out of his style. Mo Taylor is a good offensive player and an underrated defender. Piatkowski has always been one of the best pure shooters in the league and he's a smart player.

In addition, we shed AD's contract. Antonio can help a playoff team like the Rockets, but the Bulls don't need him and his max contract. Jamal will be gone after this season (I just don't see Pax keeping him for over say 6 mil a year). Giving up Tyson is tough, but we need to add some incentives for Houston to bite. We can get a replacement for Tyson in the upcoming draft by getting OKafor or Howard. I always think that a pure center with offensive skills is more valuable than a defensive PF/C. That's why I would keep Eddy.

Why Houston should do it: It looks like they are trying to build around Yao Ming. As long as Stevie Franchise is there, it will never be Yao's team. Antonio Davis gives them a solid PF in the front court, which they need for now because Yao is still soft. Crawford gives them a better outside shooter than Francis. If Chandler can stay healthy, he and Ming would form one of the better front court in the league.

We can even toss in a couple of future picks (not this year's) to sweeten the deal, but I think that it's a deal that could put the bulls back into playoffs by this time next year.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Hey dont be cows

I posted a similar idea to this. I replaced Crawford (who we should deal later) with Hinrich. This is more realistic because JVG would want a guy more like Kirk to make it work. I think Francis would be a huge step in the right direction

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Originally posted by <b>RetroDreams</b>!
No thanks... working or not working, I despise Steve Francis.
I do too, especially all this stuff I've been hearing lately.
:no:

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Originally posted by <b>bulls</b>!

U GUYS ARE NUTTS!!!!!

if we can get Franchise then you do it
I don't think I'd do it for Crawford and Chandler, not to mention don't we have Kirk at point?

Not that any of these guys are on Francis' level, but there's still alot of ifs.

·
Let's Go Streaking!
6,994 Posts

Trade with Houston
Houston trades: PG Steve Francis (16.7 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 5.9 apg in 39.7 minutes)
PF Maurice Taylor (12.1 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 1.3 apg in 28.1 minutes)
SF Eric Piatkowski (4.8 ppg, 1.6 rpg, 0.5 apg in 17.0 minutes)
Houston receives: PF Antonio Davis (8.6 ppg, 9.0 rpg, 1.6 apg in 32.2 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +2.8 ppg, +8.4 rpg, and +0.3 apg.

Chicago trades: PF Antonio Davis (8.6 ppg, 9.0 rpg, 1.6 apg in 32.2 minutes)
Chicago receives: PG Steve Francis (16.7 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 5.9 apg in 47 games)
PF Maurice Taylor (12.1 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 1.3 apg in 42 games)
SF Eric Piatkowski (4.8 ppg, 1.6 rpg, 0.5 apg in 27 games)
Change in team outlook: -2.8 ppg, -8.4 rpg, and -0.3 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED
MAYBE THAT WITH A FIRST ROUND PICK (UNPROTECTED)

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mikedc</b>!
Anyone notice that Jamal is putting up comparable numbers in fewer minutes?
if not 2 boards extra a game francis provides Jc would actually have the edge.

kind of put in perspective all the jamal bashing around here doesn't it?

·
Registered
224 Posts
STEVE FRANCIS?

Look guys, I know you mean well but Steve Francis is OEVERRATED! Yao Ming is the FRANCHISE! Francis is a freelance player who is really a scoring guard with an inconsistant shot. He is 2 inches shorter than Crawford and just as bad a defender. His style?!! He doesnt know HOW TO GET HIS IN A SYSTEM!! He is being asked to be a true PG and his skills here are pretty pedestrian. If we had PG who could be a top notch defender on SGs (like Snow in Phili) then maybe, but two 6-3 guards in our backcourt looks like New Orleans Hornets duo and that team has been looking for a bigger SG for years. That trade is a no go for me.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I wouldn't want Francis here, even if he were available. I want this team to get better, but I don't want to make a trade just for the sake of making one. Not everyone that is "available" is worth trading for.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Are you guys serious? I would jump all over this deal. Francis can win games. He single-handedly led rockets to win 45 games in 2000 and 43 games in 2002. When he was injured in 2001, Rockets were something like 1-22 without him. Tell me, other than KG or Duncan, who can lead a team to a winning record all by himself in west conference? I mean, T-mac could not do jack by himself in our East.

Most of current internet Rockets fans are Yao-only, bandwagoners. Yao is as soft as a piece of tissue paper and Yao-fans blame Francis for Yao's lack of production. If Rockets are stupid enough to trade Francis (I believe they have a 8 M trade exception, as I read over their board), Pax better calls CD right now.

JVG would want Kirk and I am willing to pull Tyson+Kirk for Francis. Of course, Houston will dump either Cato or M Taylor on us.

If Francis can bring 40+ wins in Houston, how many games will he bring to us in the East

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Kirk(6'3") + Tyson (7'1") =
(10.7+ 10.7) ppg , (3.1 + 8.9) rpg , (5.8 + 0.9) apg, (0.2+1.15) blk, (34.2 +25.3) mpg ...two 22 years old promising young players, with the superb defensive skills and tons of energy and competitiveness.

for whom ?

Francis (6’3”) = 19.6 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 6.3 apg, 0.44 blk , 39.5 mpg , 27 years old unstable/questionable star.

Why? We are not practicing the charity anymore!

SF+EC+JC ( on the same team) = coach’s nightmare !

Does anybody remembered what C.Barkley said about that guy ?
"...an extremely weird and emotionally unstable person ".

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am not sure you even know who Francis is. Where did you get his stats? 11 ppg? 2 rbg?

Facts:
This season: 17 ppg, 6 rpg, 6 apg
His career: 20 ppg, 6 rpg, 6 apg.

Unstable/questionable 27 year old?
Facts: three time all-star, ROY, 26 years old

Barkley? Hey, he once said Bryce Drew was the best young point guard he has ever seen.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts