Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Suns have a great record, but they cleared cap by trading Deng right? Some of that cap was spent on Q. Now would the Suns have been better off by not trading Deng, and keeping him in place of Q?

-Petey

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Petey said:
The Suns have a great record, but they cleared cap by trading Deng right? Some of that cap was spent on Q. Now would the Suns have been better off by not trading Deng, and keeping him in place of Q?

-Petey
Nah.... Q's unbelievable ability to jack 3's at any given moment really goes undervalued when it comes to this basketball teams style of play (their style dictates having a player like Q). Deng would not have helped this team even close to as much as Q has (he's too young to start for a team contending for a title). Maybe in a couple years they'll regret it.. but you know what? Getting the chance for the Suns to win the title this year is more than worth it.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Petey said:

-Petey
When you're team has the best record in the west I don't think you hold much regrets about anything right now. Sometimes Richardson's shot selection is terrible, but you can't deny his value to the Suns success this year, especially with the 3 ball. Like Tempe said, maybe down the road you might second guess it, but not when the you are championship contenders.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Petey said:

-Petey
We didn't trade Deng, we traded the pick and that's who they took. I would personally rather Andre Iguodala over Deng if we stayed at that pick. I even heard we would have stayed at that pick if we knew he was gonna be there.

But I also liked we traded out of there. I like Q despite what others say. He's a love em or hate em guy for others. They hate him when he screws up and love him when does something great like hit a big shot. He's a solid player and still young. Doesn't use his full repertoire. I'd like to see him not rely on the shot so much and try go inside or post up more as it seems every analyst has been starting to say and no that's not why I am saying it.

Another way to look at it though is, we may have been able to keep JJ after this yr, if we didn't sign Q and kept the 7th pick. How many of you guys would rather that? JJ/7th pick(Iggy or Deng) over Q.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
I don't think drafting Deng would've helped the franchise much. Q is an essential cog in the PHX machine, as his 3-point blitzkreig helps them put up those huge numbers, helping make the Suns the team they are. I don't think Deng has huge potential. I think he'll be a solid starter, but not an All-Star.

I'm not sure if signing a 1st-round pick would've prevented Q from being signed cap-wise, but if they could've kept the pick and signed Q, I would've loved to have seen Andris Biedrins getting the leftover PF and C minutes off the bench.

·
Registered
623 Posts
RebelSun said:
I don't think drafting Deng would've helped the franchise much. Q is an essential cog in the PHX machine, as his 3-point blitzkreig helps them put up those huge numbers, helping make the Suns the team they are. I don't think Deng has huge potential. I think he'll be a solid starter, but not an All-Star.

I'm not sure if signing a 1st-round pick would've prevented Q from being signed cap-wise, but if they could've kept the pick and signed Q, I would've loved to have seen Andris Biedrins getting the leftover PF and C minutes off the bench.

agree with you re: deng's potential. and i'm almost certain they needed the extra cap space to sign Q. and finally, had they kept the pick, i'm also pretty certain that i've read over and over that they would have selected iguodala.

·
Fear The Red
8,910 Posts
Although Deng is good i dont think he would mesh as well as this team as Q has

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
Deng isn't a run and gun player so he would be of no use to the Suns. Q's game is perfect for the suns.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Q is the essential Sun. He's a great three point shooter (although streaky), he can play mulitple positions (VERY important for a Suns player), he's young, he's great in transition, and he's marrying Brandy.

I think all those reasons are good reasons as to why having Q is great for the Suns franchise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts