Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Using salary information from Hoopshype.com, I am guessing the salary of the players most likely to get traded at:

Christian Laettner: $5,062,500
Chris Whitney: $3,000,000
Tyronn Lue: $1,870,000
Hubert Davis: $2,631,579
Jahidi White: $4,903,750

Whitney and Lue come off the cap next year. Trading them should accomplish something. Whether that is getting more young talent to the squad or helping to move a player like Laettner or White then it should be done, if not then why bother?

Davis' should have some value to a veteran team that needs shooting. No one is mentioning him. He can hit the 3 and backup the point some. He is a very reliable veteran with a decent contract.

We also have almost no need for him now unless MJ is not playing this season.

What are we going to do with him? I see him starting the season on IL and then possibly getting traded if the Wizards feel comfortable with MJs minutes.

White and Laettner can play center so they also should have value to a team that needs depth at center. Both of their deals expire after the 05/06 season.

A deal I would most like to see would probably be something along the lines of:

Lue, Laettner, Davis for 2 players(or 1).

We could then resign Popeye for a couple more seasons.

The 2 players we would get, 1 would hopefully be a devent SF and the other would hopefully have an expiring contract. The problem is that the salary number for those 3 guys is about $9.5M. At that number you are going to be hard pressed to find 1 player who isn't severely overpaid and subsequently not worth it, or 2 players with 1 being talented and the other having an expiring contract.

I could see Navarro being used as a little incentive addition because the team he is traded too, can hold onto his rights for a future trade or sign him if he gets much better and ready to come to the NBA.

Time will tell, but if we do nothing, then I am prepared to head into next season with things as they are now.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The Wizards also received a Trade Exception by dealing Courtney Alexander. When I get really bored later I'll look it up or figuring it out by read the CBA FAQ.

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
Think western conference White would have value there with the Shaq factor, personally i think we should move Laettner not White, I'm not sold on Brendan's durability yet and Thomas is a bit undersized , Laettner ,Davis and Whitney should be able to be moved but for what position sf I think we're fine if we resign Nesby I really don't want to get back anybody in trade but I know thats impossible, Gerald Wallace,Derrick Anderson, Charles Smith in San Antonio need a veteran pg, Walt Williams in a sign and trade with the Rockets for White or Laettner, Bryon Russell in a sign in trade for Laettner, Clips Maggette for White , James Posey for White , I don't know how some of thses trades work salary wise but are interesting situations for us possibly.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sign and trades are going to add more longterm salary. I would hope not before exhausting the 2003 FAs options.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts