Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fooey made a heck of a post about the disappointing players after 1984 but before 96 and 97 roughly, i.e. KG, Duncan, Kobe, T-Mac. Not Shaq, of course.

Speaking of 96-97, let's just look at players who were great that year (all All-Stars) but have had tough breaks since. Besides TB, they're under contract and could be pretty good. Well, TB could be >= Darrell Armstrong.

C - Alonzo Mourning
PF - Tom Gugliotta
SF - Grant Hill
SG - Penny Hardaway
PG - Terrell Brandon

With equal benches, they might've beaten the Bulls that year in a series.
C - Longley
PF - Rodman
SF - Pippen
SG - Jordan
PG - Kerr or Harper

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Shawn Kemp had his team in the finals the year before. I would put him in above Gugs. He is better and more tragic.

Gugs just had a major injury that could happen to anyone. Kemp was completely self inflicted.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Originally posted by <b>LA68</b>!
Shawn Kemp had his team in the finals the year before. I would put him in above Gugs. He is better and more tragic.

Gugs just had a major injury that could happen to anyone. Kemp was completely self inflicted.
Isn't that the reason Googs case is tragic and Kemp' isn't?

Afterall Googs knee injury happened because Randy Livingston crashed into his knee.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
^^ I agree with BigAmare. It's flawed logic to say that Shawn Kemp's story is more tragic because his downfall was self inflicted, whereas Gugs' was an accident. If you wanna say its more of a trajedy because Kemp was a better player (true) and now he's not even in the NBA (true) then that's fine....but because its self inflicted shouldn't make it seem more tragic.

I do think the Shawn Kemp story is more tragic, however. And that's because he isn't even in the NBA anymore. I mean altho Gug's is struggling in the league, atleast he is getting paid and getting some playing time (altho minimal). Also Kemp was an even better player than Gugliotta in his prime. He was averaging like 18 PPG in only like 32 MPG. His FG% was also amazing.....close to shaq in fact.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Originally posted by <b>darknezx</b>!
Can anyone tell me what happened to Shawn Kemp? I'm very interested in it..
The lockout really killed him, because he got fat, addicted to cocaine and was never the same again.

Last I heard, he was trying to latch onto a CBA team last year. He is only 34 years old, if I am not mistaken. He did get a huge buyout from the Blazers though (a little over 20 mil), before his stint in Orlando. I doubt he is hurting financially.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Erv? He was bagging groceries before New Orleans. He wasn't really concentrating on basketball, he just sort of strolled into it because of height. He was picked 23rd in 1993 and had a 900 REB 200 BLK season in 96-97. He rebounded, defended, and caught passes under the basket for dunks. Ehh.

These guys were drafted from '91-'94. Bias was drafted in '86.

These guys were really hit hard by 00-01, when they could've/should've been on top. (except for TB)

This isn't a Kemp thread, more for guys who have had career killing injuries or ailments in the same time-frame. But... Kemp had a power game, he should've kept fit and kept his and nose clean. He was a 1:2 AST/TO guy, so he wasn't going to become anything remotely like a wise passer with lost athleticism, ala Sabonis or Divac.

And nobody is forced to use cocaine.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Googs, Penny, Big Country, McDyess, Larry Johnson, Kenny Anderson....

·
Let's Go Streaking!
6,994 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jokeaward</b>!

C - Alonzo Mourning
PF - Tom Gugliotta
SF - Grant Hill
SG - Penny Hardaway
PG - Terrell Brandon

With equal benches, they might've beaten the Bulls that year in a series.
C - Longley
PF - Rodman
SF - Pippen
SG - Jordan
PG - Kerr or Harper
Nah i dont think so

1 - 12 of 12 Posts