Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
181 - 200 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Yes, this was exactly the intent of the NIL. I'm not sure why everyone is surprised, or possibly feigning surprise. Some form of college athletics has been a cesspool since the late 19th century. It started out in baseball and football. Basketball has largely taken baseball's place. Blame the "kids" all you want, but it is we rabid fans that generate the revenues that cause all of the corruption. If you disagree, than explain to me why we don't seem to have a similar problem with men's cross country or women's crew. The NIL is a ham-handed recognition of the situation.

And it has always amused me that the "greed" card is always played when someone else is getting the proceeds. We all earn our money through hard work in noble causes.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
I don't know how much if any this would help, but when a player signs his or her LOI, he/she has to elect whether they will attend XYZ U on a scholarship or for NIL benefits. Your bound by your choice even if you transfer to another school for the length of time you're a student.. Scholarships are guaranteed to roll over having five years to play four unless academics or legal issues come into play. All scholarship athletes would receive a small monthly stipend while they are full-time students for out of pocket expenses. If you go the NIL route you pay for everything like most other students. People going the NIL route would be referred to as independent contractors rather than student athletes. The irony to me is that I can't believe there isn't a college or university that would have difficulty coming up with thirteen guys to play basketball and what it entails in exchange for getting a degree without any student debt
This is the first I hear of this. Do you have a source for this? I have my doubts that this is how it works, otherwise the $5,000 NIL deals would be worthless, as nobody would take that instead of a scholarship.

Another reason I have my doubts is b/c scholarships are not guaranteed for more than one year unless the school chooses to guarantee that. The National Letter of Intent (NLI) does not deal with multi-year scholarships. The NLI is a one year agreement.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
7,298 Posts
This is the first I hear of this. Do you have a source for this? I have my doubts that this is how it works, otherwise the $5,000 NIL deals would be worthless, as nobody would take that instead of a scholarship.

Another reason I have my doubts is b/c scholarships are not guaranteed for more than one year unless the school chooses to guarantee that. The National Letter of Intent (NLI) does not deal with multi-year scholarships. The NLI is a one year agreement.
This is key, and I think creating NLI “contract length” options is the way to get back to some sense of sanity. If players/staffs have the mutual option of signing for 1-4 years, then a lot of the noise about “player empowerment” might lessen.

Players could leave mid-agreement, but they’d have to sit. Coaches wouldn’t be allowed to run out any player who wanted to stay. Provide various out clauses relating to academic performance, legal issues, and head coach departures, too. Do that, find a way to regulate this NONSENSICAL name, image, and likeness activity, and such a system could work reasonably well for most D1 institutions.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
The only possible way I could understand what's going with NIL's and the transfer portal, at the depth that you guys do, is to devote a lot of hours in research.

I'm way too old. Wake me up when it's all sorted out. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
623 Posts

That was his proposal for a modified system, not how it actually works right now.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Cleveland State is going to get sanctioned hard. I’m not sure which is worse. The NCAA going after the bad actors or federal government regulation. The fact that these NIL deals aren’t even close to the market value for a college athlete should be investigated as well. Anthony Grant does commercials for Mercedes Benz of Centerville so whatever compensation he gets in return is market value. Every college coach in the country does something similar so it’s not difficult. I see the spirit of the NIL as being OK. I’m conflicted about it, but paying athletes a few thousand dollars here and there for actual services rendered is not a big deal. If the NCAA had any integrity they should investigate USC and ban them from participating in bowl games and from receiving their share of the PAC12’s bowl revenue. Zero tolerance. I am laughing my ass off as I am typing this because we all know this isn’t going to happen. In a way, it’s kind of enjoyable watching the P5 start to fuck each other hard.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
This would be great if it was fully investigated, but I'm with JAF here - quite skeptical anything comes of it. Circumstantial evidence points to many athletes shopping themselves around before signing. Problem is circumstantial evidence is usually true but almost impossible to prove. I'd bet 95-100% of these big name signings from the portal, and even lesser names, were negotiated in advance. NIL and no free agency? It's just not compatible, or realistic. As soon as this door was opened anyone on the right side of brain-dead saw this. What scary is that the powers-that-be are finally having the "oh shit" moment when us stupid little peons knew this was the only end game.

·
Registered
627 Posts
In the years leading up to this guys like Jay Bilas would say that the free market should be allowed to take care of this. Now that it is here and everyone sees what the free market looks like, Bilas and his cronies are blaming Emmert and the NCAA for not regulating it. Except if they regulated it Bilas would have been yelling athletes are being stifled. This was always how this would end.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
The NIL abyss deepens as Wichita State fires AD over failure to manage NIL. Perhaps just an excuse, but then again..............

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
The NIL abyss deepens as Wichita State fires AD over failure to manage NIL. Perhaps just an excuse, but then again..............

Second to last paragraph …

“Where we erred was focusing on educating our kids about NIL and not just collecting cash and paying kids to come to Wichita State”

181 - 200 of 227 Posts