Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
161 - 180 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
7,298 Posts
He got a bag. $100K+, I hear. ISU boosters recently set up a fund for this type of activity. I’m sure there’s a big Jaren Holmes market in Ames, Iowa. His name, image, and likeness will send sales ever upward!

Edit to add: F*** this sh**.

·
Piker
11,241 Posts
He got a bag. $100K+, I hear. ISU boosters recently set up a fund for this type of activity. I’m sure there’s a big Jaren Holmes market in Ames, Iowa. His name, image, and likeness will send sales ever upward!

Edit to add: F*** this sh**.
I heard stories of tampering and a bag for Ward too.

Reactions: Bill Russell

·
Registered
3,592 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Now very obvious what happened. “I know you told coach you were coming back, but don’t. Iowa st just offered me 6 figures. Put your names in. See what you can get”. I take back my well wishes on the Bona thread. I’m completely disillusioned. Maybe I was just in denial before.

F this. Not just for what it is, but for making me resent our own guys. 2021 was some of the most fun I’ve ever had as a fan of anything, and that’s tainted now. The A-10 is now the AAA-10 for the powers.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
7,298 Posts
They'll get nothing but a middle finger from me if they ever return
This was handled so poorly on the players’ part that I’ve heard rumblings they won’t be invited back for any type of school event any time soon… at least not while Schmidt is here.

Everyone is so emotional right now that it’s hard to gauge where Schmidt will stand. He poured his guts into that group.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
This was handled so poorly on the players’ part that I’ve heard rumblings they won’t be invited back for any type of school event any time soon… at least not while Schmidt is here.

Everyone is so emotional right now that it’s hard to gauge where Schmidt will stand. He poured his guts into that group.
This is disillusioning for sure. On one hand I want to go scorched earth and say never fucking set foot at SBU again. At the same time we knew this was the fallout of NIL, we all called it, because at the end of the day our guys are no different than every other 22yo kid thats gets 6 figures thrown in their face to play one final season of basketball. If that was available to me at 22 my only question would be how quickly can I sign? This SUCKS! I blame the system. I can't hold them any more accountable than I'd hold myself. Thats a lot of coin. That kick starts your life.

I'm so pissed and disillusioned, resentful but resigned all at the same time. That doesn't mean I'd wish any of them well though.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
This is disillusioning for sure. On one hand I want to go scorched earth and say never fucking set foot at SBU again. At the same time we knew this was the fallout of NIL, we all called it, because at the end of the day our guys are no different than every other 22yo kid thats gets 6 figures thrown in their face to play one final season of basketball. If that was available to me at 22 my only question would be how quickly can I sign? This SUCKS! I blame the system. I can't hold them any more accountable than I'd hold myself. Thats a lot of coin. That kick starts your life.

I'm so pissed and disillusioned, resentful but resigned all at the same time. That doesn't mean I'd wish any of them well though.
I hear you but they said all along they would be back. The school had packages for them, I think Bill said in the 75k range. To bail at the last minute after guys transferred or didn't come due to their expected return, its infuriating. If they had done that a month ago it would be totally different

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
I hear you but they said all along they would be back. The school had packages for them, I think Bill said in the 75k range. To bail at the last minute after guys transferred or didn't come due to their expected return, its infuriating. If they had done that a month ago it would be totally different
I hear you but yeah somebody knows something. Since I dont know everything I'm going to just leave it at those sentiments. I'm really at a point where I dont want any of them to succeed at their next stop but baffled, miffed, resigned. It is what it is 03.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wanted to shut this all out for a while, these revelations make it a lot harder to. 75K plus your word to your program who dedicated so much to you over 4 years should have been enough. I’d like to think even at that age that would have been for me, but I can’t possibly say for sure.

I’m with BI85 in the sense that it sucks and I’m pissed but I don’t even take it personally. The allure of the $ signs, the allure of highest bidder, all these people are going to be lining up for me, Etc. At its core I’m sure it’s much more that, than it is a “fuck bona’s” sentiment.

It was shitty, scummy, bullshit. But the best thing for the program is to call it that and move forward. Learn from it in the shitty new world. There’s still a Bonaventure name that has taken impressive leaps in recent years. Leverage that to look forward and keep building. What’s done is done, fuck them, onto the next era.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
7,298 Posts
I wanted to shut this all out for a while, these revelations make it a lot harder to. 75K plus your word to your program who dedicated so much to you over 4 years should have been enough. I’d like to think even at that age that would have been for me, but I can’t possibly say for sure.

I’m with BI85 in the sense that it sucks and I’m pissed but I don’t even take it personally. The allure of the $ signs, the allure of highest bidder, all these people are going to be lining up for me, Etc. At its core I’m sure it’s much more that, than it is a “fuck bona’s” sentiment.

It was shitty, scummy, bullshit. But the best thing for the program is to call it that and move forward. Learn from it in the shitty new world. There’s still a Bonaventure name that has taken impressive leaps in recent years. Leverage that to look forward and keep building. What’s done is done, fuck them, onto the next era.
And let’s not pretend they’re the first group to have any success. We loved them while they were here and all the way up to this last-second Benedict Arnold job.

They were far from the first—and certainly won’t be the last—good group at SBU. It sucks right now, but we just need to adjust and move forward. We’ll be fine long term, as the subtly rock solid alum/fan support infrastructure won’t go anywhere.

Also, given some of their journalism backgrounds, I’m wondering if they considered their post-playing careers at all. Potentially alienating the top NBA journalist in the world probably wasn’t a consideration in pursuit of “the bag”.

Speaking of shopping for a bag, did anyone see the list Lofton put out? Shameless. Some of the scummiest programs in America. SO disappointing.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I don't know how much if any this would help, but when a player signs his or her LOI, he/she has to elect whether they will attend XYZ U on a scholarship or for NIL benefits. Your bound by your choice even if you transfer to another school for the length of time you're a student.. Scholarships are guaranteed to roll over having five years to play four unless academics or legal issues come into play. All scholarship athletes would receive a small monthly stipend while they are full-time students for out of pocket expenses. If you go the NIL route you pay for everything like most other students. People going the NIL route would be referred to as independent contractors rather than student athletes. The irony to me is that I can't believe there isn't a college or university that would have difficulty coming up with thirteen guys to play basketball and what it entails in exchange for getting a degree without any student debt

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I don't know how much if any this would help, but when a player signs his or her LOI, he/she has to elect whether they will attend XYZ U on a scholarship or for NIL benefits. Your bound by your choice even if you transfer to another school for the length of time you're a student.. Scholarships are guaranteed to roll over having five years to play four unless academics or legal issues come into play. All scholarship athletes would receive a small monthly stipend while they are full-time students for out of pocket expenses. If you go the NIL route you pay for everything like most other students. People going the NIL route would be referred to as independent contractors rather than student athletes. The irony to me is that I can't believe there isn't a college or university that would have difficulty coming up with thirteen guys to play basketball and what it entails in exchange for getting a degree without any student debt
Accepting payment for NIL should make the value of scholarships, room, board, medical, nutrition, training and anything else given to them because they are athletes taxable income. Right? Without the scholarship there would be no value for the NIL.

161 - 180 of 227 Posts