Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From today's Bergen Record:

Veteran point guard Travis Best has reemerged as an insurance policy for Jason Kidd, who could be out until late November or early December following left knee surgery. Best may visit East Rutherford next week. He would compete with Jacque Vaughn and Zoran Planinic for minutes. ... The Nets have also discussed bringing in free agent power forward Marcus Fizer, who played under new assistant coach Bill Cartwright in Chicago.
Travis Best

Marcus Fizer

:|

·
Registered
15,963 Posts

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
if fizer can stay healthy,he can me a beast...i wouldnt be suprised if he put up similar offensive numbers to kmart....D is where he is lacking

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
They would be nice additions. Best, though is declining, could provide quality minutes. He and Jacque Vaughn are the exact opposite so they should complement each other well. Fizer could truely breakout as an Antown Jamison-type scorer around the post. The Nets could definitely use someone like him.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Last season, the Nets could have used Vaughn, Best or both. I guess better late than never.

Fizer and the Nets make for a good fit. The Nets can give him the opportunity at PF he lost on the Bulls. For the Nets, Fizer is only 26 with potential even after his injuries, and he comes cheap. He rivalled K-Mart as an inside-outside PF prospect coming out of Iowa State, and can still become a very good player. If he doesn't, and Fizer has truly become a journeyman, the Nets have Krstic, Smith and Kyle Davis as young players waiting to take their turns at the position.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by <b>NYCbballFan</b>!
Last season, the Nets could have used Vaughn, Best or both. I guess better late than never.

Vaughn and Best seems redundant to me. If Kidd is out for a significant amount of time, will Best make a difference in getting the Nets enough wins to stay in Atlantic contention? I'd rather see Zoran get a ton of minutes, so they get something positive out of Kidd's absence. And if Kidd is healthy, there's no need for one of the two. Best has not shot the ball well the last two seasons, so I don't see any advantage of him over Vaughn.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
It seems the Nets aren't entirely confident about Zoran, Best or Vaughn.

Good point about Best's shooting. His outside shot, at least the one he used to have, would have set him apart.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Oh man, Fizer won't be a bad pick up at all.

-Petey

·
Registered
609 Posts
re

Fizer is a great tallent in the NBA, who has just been in a bad situation.

Chicago is a loosing team, and in past years has had to fight for playing time with Jerome Wiliams, Chandler, Antonio Davis, Brand, Charles Oakley, and Donyell Marshal.

That is basically a list of all decent PF, (all would start on the Nets current roster at the age they were on the bulls), Trying to find reasonable minutes with all those guys would be tough for any PF that isn't an all-star.

Fizer also struggled to fit into chicago's offense, as he would sometimes start, sometimes be off the bench, sometimes not play, and all this with several starters being traded every year.

However, with the Nets he will find some stability and will be given the oppurtunity to play real starters minutes. He will also be the nets primary post player.

I think he will flourish if signed by the nets, as it will give him all the oppurtunities that have not been avaiable in chicago.

I would expect him to be the nets second leading scorer behind kidd, and for him to be an above average starting PF in the east.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Fizer needs to take his butt to Minnesota. I want to see how good he would be next to KG. I am sure he would get 15/10 next to him on many a nights.

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Re: re

Originally posted by <b>hihofink</b>!
I would expect him to be the nets second leading scorer behind kidd, and for him to be an above average starting PF in the east.
If Fizer is going to be the 2nd leading scorer, it wouldn't be behind Kidd. Did RJ recently fall off the face of the Earth and I wasn't notified?

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
Re: Re: re

Originally posted by <b>jmk</b>!

If Fizer is going to be the 2nd leading scorer, it wouldn't be behind Kidd. Did RJ recently fall off the face of the Earth and I wasn't notified?
Yeah, he went into the Bermuda triangle. Really? No-one told you!?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Oh Man!!!!!
This would be a win-win situation Both for Fizer and the Nets!
I personally am a huge Fizer fan, and just want to see him finally get the playing time he deserves. And the Nets could definately use his scoring ability with the departure of K-Mart.
Marcus is a beast, and given regular minutes, WILL become a monster in this league.
I am looking forward to how this plays out.

·
Registered
609 Posts
re

woah....I just reread my post. My bad. Definetly meant to type jefferson there not kidd. Obviously Jefferson will be the nets leading scorer. But like I said earlier, Fizer can definetly be a second leading scorer for this nets squard, and average maybe 15-16 ppg.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nets Giving Best a Look

...the Nets intend to work out nine-season veteran point guard Travis Best today or tomorrow.

"We're just trying to do our due diligence, checking around on the players still available," Thorn said of the interest in Best, who turned 32 in July. "So we're going to check him out."

Thorn said signing the 5-11, 180-pound Best was not imminent. But there is obvious interest in Best, who carries career averages of 7.7 points and 3.6 assists.

Additionally, the Nets have discussed, but are not moving toward signing, Bulls free-agent forward Marcus Fizer, who is still rehabbing a knee injury. Sorely in need of rebounding with Kenyon Martin gone, the Nets may consider Fizer eventually, but he doesn't seem perched on their immediate horizon because of the knee.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts