Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know how many of you have ever heard this guy talk but i think he is a great pickup by the Minutemen. He is young and real good coach. He led an extremely outmatcheed team against Kentucky in the first round and made it a close game.

·
Banned
7,135 Posts
Strange, one NCAA bid and he gets picked up to a semi-decent program. Seems like a very large step for a coach from that small of a college, and who has had one successful season. Does every 15,16 seed coach get a new job after the tourney each year?

·
Premium Member
6,940 Posts
Pan Mengtu said:
Strange, one NCAA bid and he gets picked up to a semi-decent program. Seems like a very large step for a coach from that small of a college, and who has had one successful season. Does every 15,16 seed coach get a new job after the tourney each year?
No, but UMASS is taking a gamble. They know they can't get a big-time coach, so they go for an up and coming big-time coach.

Its kind of like what Mizzou did with Quin Snyder...the only difference being that Ford actually has head coaching experience.

Hopefully for UMASS Ford works out better than Snyder...I doubt he could be any worse.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a gamble . They could be bad for the next couple years anfd they let him go or he could be a diamond in the rough and end up doing real good. Professional coaching is such a crap shoot these days. You can be coach of the year one year and fired the next. Every program is so scared they are going to miss hiring the next best thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts