Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, teams such as

Portland(Getting rid of Wallace, Mcginnis, Wells)
Phoenix(Unloading Marbury, and Penny)
Atlanta(Unloading Shareef and Theo)

Have all gotten rid of their huge payroll players in order to "cleanse" the teams makeup. However, will this make a difference come this off-season?

We all know that it is likely to see Rasheed walk following the remainder of the season in ATL. My question is, who are these huge free agents that everyone is interested in this off-season?

I am aware of Kobe. Who else?

It is a very smart move to get rid of the huge contracts with guys who just arent cutting it. But who do you feel these teams will pursue?

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Portland doesn't have any money to pursue FAs. Wallace and Person were their expiring contracts and they took longer ones.

Phoenix didn't exactly destroy, we took on very good young prospects and expiring contracts.

Camby/Okafor/Voshkul
Amare/Okafor/Lampe
Marion/Zarko
JJ/Iguodala/Jacobsen
Barbosa/Vujanic

This is how Phoenix lineup could look like next season and if they are healthy they should be much better than this season.
They are the youngest team in the league right now and will only get young when Googs and Dice are gone and White and Eisley might very well be traded for capspace or dumped on the Bobcats.

FA targets for Phoenix could be
1. Kobe
2. Camby
3. Swift
4. Divac
5. Barry

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
1) Kobe
2)Rasheed
3)Okur
4))Swift
5)Camby
6)Barry
7)Crawford
8)Thomas
9)Richardson
10)Divac

Nice thing is none of these will be demanding max,cept for kobe and rasheed... even sheed probably could get a max though

most around 5 M range, and very good starters that could add to any team

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BigAmare</b>!
Camby/Okafor/Voshkul
Amare/Okafor/Lampe
Marion/Zarko
JJ/Iguodala/Jacobsen
Barbosa/Vujanic
Phoenix would have to be real lucky to get Okafor. He'd either have to slip out of the top 5, or Suns would have to get a pick higher then where theyre projected. Or a combination of the two.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Portland doesn't have any money to pursue FAs. Wallace and Person were their expiring contracts and they took longer ones.
One year longer, which coincides perfectly with Damon Stoudamire's contract coming off the books. As it stands now, Portland will have a ton of money, if they want, to pursue free agents in '05, with Stoudamire, Abdur-Rahim and Ratliff all coming off the salary structure. Dale Davis might also.

They can pursue who they want and, if they don't get someone suitable, re-sign Abdur-Rahim.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Umm why?

Phoenix has the 4th most chances at #1 right now and a very good chance to end up in the top 3 through the lottery.

Washington has Arenas and Stackhouse back which might be good enough in the East to jump ahead to Phoenix giving them the 3rd most chances.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Minstrel</b>!

One year longer, which coincides perfectly with Damon Stoudamire's contract coming off the books. As it stands now, Portland will have a ton of money, if they want, to persue free agents in '05, with Stoudamire, Abdur-Rahim and Ratliff all coming off the salary structure. Dale Davis might also.

They can pursue who they want and, if they don't get someone suitable, re-sign Abdur-Rahim.
Of course Zach Randolph will make like 11M$ more in that season.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts

Of course Zach Randolph will make like 11M$ more in that season.
They have his Bird rights, so they can go over the cap to re-sign him. His contract will count that off-season, for cap purposes, as a bit over what he was paid in '04-05 (the last year of his deal).

So, yes, Randolph will cost much more, but it won't cut into their free agent money. Portland can use their cap space up on other free agents and then re-sign Randolph to a big-money deal, throwing them over the cap.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Getting cap room now, doesn't necessarily mean a team will try to make a move this offseason. Though I suppose teams are bound to get themselves back into their original problem by overpaying what's out there.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Minstrel</b>!

They have his Bird rights, so they can go over the cap to re-sign him. His contract will count that off-season, for cap purposes, as a bit over what he was paid in '04-05 (the last year of his deal).

So, yes, Randolph will cost much more, but it won't cut into their free agent money. Portland can use their cap space up on other free agents and then re-sign Randolph to a big-money deal, throwing them over the cap.
That is definately not right as far as I know.

Zach Randolph will get an extension this offseason most likely. Will play 04/05 as the last year of his rookie contract and in the 05/06 season his salary will count 100% against the cap and he will be BYC for that year.

Shawn Marion signed his extension in 2002 and his contract counts 100% against the cap.

You are suggesting that the Blazers lowball Randolph and don't offer him a big extension?
When you renounce a player you lose the rights to him also.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
I think the truth is somewhere between what you two are saying.

If Zach doesn't get his extension this summer, he still counts against the cap for far more than his 04/05 salary. His 04/05 salary is 1.8 million, and he makes below the NBA average salary, so according to Larry **** his cap hold will be 300 percent of his 04/05 salary, or 5.4 million dollars.

That is probably still enough so that Portland has enough room to sign a max player like Ray Allen or T-Mac. This is probably what they will do, Zach will get his max money in any case and there is no reason why they should destroy their 05 cap space by giving it to him a summer early. If they give him an extension this summer then they are morons.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts

That is definately not right as far as I know.

Zach Randolph will get an extension this offseason most likely. Will play 04/05 as the last year of his rookie contract and in the 05/06 season his salary will count 100% against the cap and he will be BYC for that year.
If he gets an extension this off-season, then that will determine what he counts against the cap in off-season of '05. But they don't have to give him an extension in '04 because his four-year deal goes through the '04-05 season. Instead...they can do what I detail next.

You are suggesting that the Blazers lowball Randolph and don't offer him a big extension?
When you renounce a player you lose the rights to him also.
I'm saying that if the Blazers wait until his contract expires, in '05, and then tender him a new deal, they can first use up their cap space (a few million of which will be taken by the presence of Randolph due to a cap rule, since Portland will not renounce him) and then sign Randolph to an extension, up to the maximum, taking them over the cap.

I checked the cap rules, and that is perfectly allowed. Randolph will count as a small contract against their cap even before they re-sign him...but they can wait until they've used up their cap space to give him a big deal.

27. Can a team sign all the free agents it wants (up to the cap limit) and THEN re-sign its own free agents using the Bird exception?

Yes, but there's a restriction. A team's free agents continue to count as team salary (against the salary cap)._ This charge is called the "free agent amount."_ So there may not be enough money under the cap to sign another team's free agent, because the team's own free agents are taking up all the cap room.
http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#27

Portland will definitely renounce Damon Stoudamire and probably renounced Theo Ratliff. If they found a top free agent that was willing to sign with them, and they needed Abdur-Rahim's cap space, then they'd renounce SAR, too.

Zach would then count for about $4 million of that cap space (his "free agent amount" of nearly $5.4 million minus the $1.4 million salary he was already making, to get the cap-eating difference) leaving plenty of cap room for the free agent.

Then they'd re-sign Randolph to whatever he and the team agree to, using Bird rights, to go over the cap. As I said, they didn't renounce him.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ArtestFan</b>!
I think the truth is somewhere between what you two are saying.
Actually, what you say is exactly what I was saying, as the post I was writing, when you posted this, details.

Evidently, you were taking issue with my "a small amount more than his '04-05 salary." It's $4 million raise in salary, which will cut into the cap space...that was my idea of "a small amount more." It's a large percentage increase but I was thinking in absolute value of dollars available to spend in free agency.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Umm why?

Phoenix has the 4th most chances at #1 right now and a very good chance to end up in the top 3 through the lottery.

Washington has Arenas and Stackhouse back which might be good enough in the East to jump ahead to Phoenix giving them the 3rd most chances.
4th most chance if you don't win the lottery this year means you get the 5th pick. Remember the expansion team gets the 4th pick this year?

That is why someone said you would have to have him slip to the 5, or the Suns would have to win the lotto.

-Petey

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
19,803 Posts
I think the more likely scenario is for Portland to sign and trade SAR or Zach for the player they want to sign.

Choice to teams, we will renounce them and sign your guy or you can take one of them and give us your guy.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
the theory that you have to destroy the whole thing to get better may have some statistical truth but its a risky game. if you are terrible and do end up with the #1 pick it may turn out to be shaq/yao/duncan/lebron but it also may turn out to be derrick coleman,michael olowakandi or kenyon martin(not a super) and this year is anyone salivating over dwight howard or emeka okafor, i doubt it. the other factor is how much money you may be able to creat through wheeling and dealing. atlanta is going to have like a billion dollars to spend in the next year or two but who is going to want to go to atlanta to play before an empty arena. they will probably be able to bring in some free agents that nobody is pursuing but may also overpay to sign others. risky business.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Some teams in the league will be good, some will be mediocre, and some will suck. Basically. A player like Iverson, along with some savvy moves, can turn a franchise around. Philly went from a lotto-winner to the Finals. Cleveland DIVED and got a big prize for it.

Some teams just have to stink and gather talent that way. This isn't college, so you can get high draft picks. If you have a playoof level team that declines, you could opt not to try and stay afloat. Things can turn around quickly from the bottom. NJ? Rags to riches! Minnesota? Thank you high pick flops for all your losing, you can't compare to KG!

Atlanta won, what, 30 last year. Cleveland won 17. But who's better off now? Cleveland is building and Atlanta is deconstructing. From a 30 win team. Yikes, that's bad. Or is it? ;)

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Suns: For what they got in return, the Suns got a huge steal in the trade w/ NY. They were in a terrible cap situation and were not winning. The deal was best for the franchise.

Portland: They were not winning w/ their semblance of thugs and now that they have soured on their most talented player, Rasheed, it was time to trade him and start over a little bit. They have some great young talent in place and couple extra 1st round picks to reload a little faster.

Atlanta: They are in the worst shape of any NBA team. The Rasheed trade was a great move for them because they remove 2 large deals for an expiring contract. The Hawks desperately need to finalize the sale of the team already so the franchise can start moving in the right direcion. The next step for them is to trade Jason Terry and Alan Henderson (if anyone will possibly take his horrendous deal.)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts